Received mysteries text regarding a code send from my own Iphone after using a unprotected public Wi

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015

Today I received a text from my own Iphone number displayed as +28 18 xx xx that I have not written myself. It said I now had a new code thas was xxxx without specifying what for. Just before I got that text I had used a couple of different public wifi-hotspots. Should i be worried? After i searched Google all I could find was that it was a possibility your Iphone can be hacked on Wifi and the other option was that the code I received maybe was from the Verified SecureCode by Visa & Mastercard that I did sign up for a long time ago. If that was the case someone would be trying to use my credit card. If anyone could help me to disclose why i got the text from my own Iphone 4S I would be very grateful. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Today I received a text from my own Iphone number displayed as +28 18 xx xx that I have not written myself. It said I now had a new code thas was xxxx without specifying what for. Just before I got that text I had used a couple of different public wifi-hotspots. Should i be worried? After i searched Google all I could find was that it was a possibility your Iphone can be hacked on Wifi and the other option was that the code I received maybe was from the Verified SecureCode by Visa & Mastercard that I did sign up for a long time ago. If that was the case someone would be trying to use my credit card. If anyone could help me to disclose why i got the text from my own Iphone 4S I would be very grateful. 

It sounds like someone got your number and then spoofed the sender id to be your phone number so that you couldn't report them or send a message back:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2awxvi/im_receiving_texts_from_my_own_number/

I'm not sure if someone can collect your mobile phone number from a public wifi but I'd say it's more likely to have been a service you signed up to that sent your details onto a spam company. Banks, service providers, it could be any company responsible for your mobile number getting out. I wouldn't worry about the mobile being hacked into or anything like that.