AppleInsider's iOS app updated with dismissible Plus trial option, remains free for all

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Apple fans who want to keep up with the latest news out of Cupertino can now do so more efficiently with the official AppleInsider app, designed for both iPhone and iPad, which has been updated to address concerns brought forth by readers.

After releasing our last app update, it quickly became apparent that a new dialog advocating a free trial of AppleInsider Plus -- our feature-added, ads-free subscription plan -- was causing some confusion. In this latest version, users can now easily decline the free trial on initial launch by clicking a dedicated "No Thanks" button in the popup.

To be clear, the AppleInsider app never has and never will automatically charge users without their express permission. Accepting our free trial offer does not and did not opt users in to recurring fees or any fee at all; that's not how AppleInsider operates. We strive to give you, our readers, the best possible experience across multiple, rapidly evolving platforms, which is why we created our custom iOS app. The free trial of AppleInsider Plus has always existed as a no strings attached 30-day free trial of our feature-added, uninterrupted news reading experience. Readers who accept the trial are not automatically enrolled in any form of subscription plan. When the 30 day trial ends, readers must choose to manually subscribe to Plus, and even then the subscription will not auto renew.

For instance, if a reader subscribes to 3 months of AppleInsider Plus, the reader would need to manually resubscribe at the end of the 3 months. It will not auto renew. Still, we understand that some readers were turned off by a regrettable oversight on our part in not providing a way to forgo a free trial of Plus before accessing the app's content. This has since been corrected with the aforementioned "No Thanks" option.

For those readers who don't mind giving Plus a try, the app will continue to offer the free 30-day evaluation as an option. With a Plus subscription, readers are offered ad-free access to AppleInsider content as well as additional features, such as the ability to bookmark favorite articles across their devices (make sure you're logged into the same iCloud account on all devices) and set up customized push notifications.

Meanwhile, non-subscribers can continue to enjoy all of AppleInsider's breaking Apple news coverage, intriguing features and poignant opinion pieces completely free within the app. Of course the same content remains available to readers via our traditional websites, accessible through your favorite desktop and mobile device.

Readers can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, our Newsletter and via RSS.

This marks the third update since the debut of AppleInsider's all-new mobile app, which was designed by our good friends at the digital design shop Crafted. Previous updates brought article timestamps to the main screen alongside improvements in image loading time. Readers also gained control over the size and weight of the font used to display articles, while the default was made darker thanks to users' suggestions.

AppleInsider version 2.0.2 is available now as a free, 19.3-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Have to admit I was confused by this and closed the app when i couldn't see a dismiss box. Glad it's been fixed. Most trials end in auto payments so it's hardly unsurprising really
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Don't see the need of it because most of the time I do use my laptop anyway and when I really need it I can just open the full web page on my iPhone. To pay for this I think it's ridiculous!! It's like paying for your internet twice or somethin'
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Wish you had also taken readers' advice on offering a pay-once no subscription option. My money remains in my pocket and not yours until this option is offered. I really want to reward you for your work, but not by being shackled to a pay forever plan.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Wish you had also taken readers' advice on offering a pay-once no subscription option. My money remains in my pocket and not yours until this option is offered. I really want to reward you for your work, but not by being shackled to a pay forever plan.

This update was just a quick/emergency fix for a single issue. We hear you loud and clear. Appreciate the feedback and please stay tuned.

• Reply 5 of 24
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    I really want to reward you for your work, but not by being shackled to a pay forever plan.
    Did you even read the article? They said that the subscription would not auto-renew.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Quote:

I really want to reward you for your work, but not by being shackled to a pay forever plan.

Did you even read the article? They said that the subscription would not auto-renew.

Yes, at which point you no longer get the service without ads unless you agree to be shackled to a pay forever plan.  Did you even read Huber's response?

• Reply 7 of 24
    I am glad to pay a subscription for ad-free content. My time is worth more than waiting for big graphic ads to load and having to read the actual news squeezed between display ads.

But Huber's comment confuses an app with a news outlet. (I develop software, and my parents were both journalists.) An app, we invest in programming, test, publish/post and take one payment for each person who buys the app. If we did our market research right, we earn enought to pay back the programming effort and some bug fix updates, maybe even profit. Then we can either move on and let people keep enjoying our software, or do more programming work and sell major upgrades.

By contrast, a magazine or newspaper requires labor every day to keep producing news. It HAS to either be sold as a subscription, or supported by ads (ads which pay per issue or per click etc). If a reader wants to pay once for an infinite subscription, why don't you let your employer just pay you once for you to work until age 65? Equally fair.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    This does sound good, but Willet has a point, they can't let everybody pay a for example 2 year pay for it then after 2 years to start losing money, they could choose an extravagant thing like charge 10 years at 1 point but then almost nobody won't it. So if like an extremely long time for moderately cheap subscription. For example 2-3 years for $12-18, maybe they could offer a 5 year for $25-30 and it would satisfy you Robin Huber? Or maybe your only thought is the $30 or so for forever? Again example values as inflation and everything else has to be added in.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    For gods sake how much is a large coffee ( hazelnut) ? Not to mention a beer or heaven for bid smokes?
    Appleinsder is worth the bloody money. I paid up and feel no pain when I wake up in the morning. It is a pleasure to read and easy to use and no murder, violence or bra ads.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Still no jump straight to comments. Basic programming. Why, oh why do I have to scroll TWICE?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Love this app. Paid and happy, what do I have to do with the Plus stuff?
  • Reply 12 of 24

This is highly appreciated, and the app now back on my phone. Thanks.

• Reply 13 of 24
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    felixer wrote: »
    Still no jump straight to comments. Basic programming. Why, oh why do I have to scroll TWICE?
    I agree! Why can't I go straight to the comments when I've already read the article??
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by willett View Post

I am glad to pay a subscription for ad-free content. My time is worth more than waiting for big graphic ads to load and having to read the actual news squeezed between display ads.

But Huber's comment confuses an app with a news outlet. (I develop software, and my parents were both journalists.) An app, we invest in programming, test, publish/post and take one payment for each person who buys the app. If we did our market research right, we earn enought to pay back the programming effort and some bug fix updates, maybe even profit. Then we can either move on and let people keep enjoying our software, or do more programming work and sell major upgrades.

By contrast, a magazine or newspaper requires labor every day to keep producing news. It HAS to either be sold as a subscription, or supported by ads (ads which pay per issue or per click etc). If a reader wants to pay once for an infinite subscription, why don't you let your employer just pay you once for you to work until age 65? Equally fair.

Could not have explained the position we are in any better than you just did. Thank you.

K

• Reply 15 of 24
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

So let me see if I understand you.... you want to pay once, and then be able to consume AS MUCH content as you'd like from AppleInsider at their expense? I guess that would depend on how much you paid, or how infrequently you access AI. The pay-once-for-all-you-can-eat model just doesn't jive with the ongoing costs of running a business.

• Reply 16 of 24
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Felixer View Post

Same experience with the website... just to be able to participate in the comments for an article, I need to click through two different pages after the initial article view. Maybe that's intentional to maximize ad revenue? If not, then whomever is behind the user experience design at AI is clueless.

• Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Quote:

Same experience with the website... just to be able to participate in the comments for an article, I need to click through two different pages after the initial article view. Maybe that's intentional to maximize ad revenue? If not, then whomever is behind the user experience design at AI is clueless.

The one thing

Quote:

Quote:

This is a problem. There is a work around that lets Felixer and coolfactor do what they want as well as displaying px in comments (which does not work all the time in the 'read-only' comments mode:

While in the AppleInsider web home page, click on the total comment count int the lower right summary of the article (e.g., ). This will drop you right into the reading the article then comments that you can participate in (albeit a big fugly BLACK title bar and box around the article - box OK bar is not IMHO). Oh, mot to mention that you don't have to back out carefully to the home page since once will now do.

BTW: Kudos again for willett's explanation of AI's position. Well said.

• Reply 18 of 24
    coolfactor wrote: »

So let me see if I understand you.... you want to pay once, and then be able to consume AS MUCH content as you'd like from AppleInsider at their expense? I guess that would depend on how much you paid, or how infrequently you access AI. The pay-once-for-all-you-can-eat model just doesn't jive with the ongoing costs of running a business.
    Or, continue doing what I have been which is to click on the web icon on my iPad home screen and read and comment forever with no money going into AIs pocket. A worse way of running a business.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

Have to admit I was confused by this and closed the app when i couldn't see a dismiss box. Glad it's been fixed. Most trials end in auto payments so it's hardly unsurprising really

Yes, agree 100%. Most all trials end in the user's CC being charged unless they specifically opt out, so it's hardly surprising this caused a problem. I doubt this was a mistake on AI's pat, it was a deliberate tactic to force viewing of the the premium version, as evident from the amount of time it took AI to submit a "corrected" app. It was a poor business decision, and I find myself using AI less than I have done in the past.

• Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

We're working on this. If we had it our way, this would have been addressed over a year ago. Sometimes, you're at the mercy of your partners and their willingness to cooperate in a timely manner.