Fingerprint sensor for Google's Nexus 6 was nixed after Apple bought AuthenTec

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    AuthenTec made parts for many companies for years.

Then Apple offered to buy AuthenTec for $356,000,000

AuthenTec accepted.

That should be easy to understand :D

If I remember correctly there were some contracts that they still had to honor, but I'm guessing none were with Motorola.
  • Reply 22 of 83

Strikes me as a bit bass ackwards, maybe it's just me but I find using my thumb the most natural digit for using the fingerprint sensor - hands down (... phone up ...) (pun intended).

The only way that my index finger would find itself resting on the back of my phone would be if I was trying to hold a phone that was as wide as a paperback book.

I do have one index finger cataloged for occasional use which is that rare time when I want to unlock without picking it up, and I should note that it always rests face up so I can see the screen alerts/incoming texts/calls if needed. Again, that would be defeated if I had to flip it over to unlock.

I like efficiency and the minimal amount of fumbling.

• Reply 23 of 83
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Sensor on the back makes a lot of sense to me. Where is your index finger when you're holding your phone? Making it an even larger phone by adding chin-space for the sensor on the front is what wouldn't make sense. Does it to you?

A sensor on the back limits functionality to the index finger. Also it makes it difficult when a case is on the device. Having it in the front of the phone and part of the home button is much more intuitive in my opinion.
  • Reply 24 of 83

If I remember the articles written when the AuthenTec purchase was rumored then announced, Apple actually asked Samsung, Motorola and other companies to consider a touch-based fingerprint sensor, but was unilaterally turned down due to the cost of the sensor and sapphire glass covering the sensor.

Only after realizing the advantage of having a unique fingerprint sensor, did Apple decide to just buy the company and lock up the fingerprint sensor technology for itself. There was no reason whatsoever for Apple to share the sensor with its competitors. Apple bet big and the bet paid of and continues to pay off because Apple took the time to invest more money to improve the AuthenTec fingerprint sensor and continues to make improvement investments.

Now Motorola is saying it wanted to use AuthenTec fingerprint technology, but could not do so due to Apple purchasing the company. This shows Apple saw something and acted on it while Motorola did or could not. It also shows Apple had a vision for using the technology that would take Apple in direction its competitors could not very easily follow.

Motorola/Google could have bought a fingerprint sensor company and made similar investments as Apple to improve the sensor. Motorola/Google did not want to do this though. Motorola/Google wanted fast and cheap. In this case, it is good someone at Motorola/Google decided to skip the second best fingerprint sensor as a lesson learned from Motorola's previous fingerprint sensor debacle.

Since Samsung was mentioned in the article... If Samsung really is going to follow (please do not interpret this as copy) Apple's touch-based fingerprint sensor then Samsung "might" have to redesign its smartphone to resemble the iPhone. Oops. And Samsung has to get the fingerprint sensor as right as possible before the S6 ships. This takes a lot of time and money. Is Samsung truly ready to invest in sapphire or some other technology to keep its fingerprint sensor consistently lasting as long and working as good as or better than Apple's Touch ID? Sure Samsung has a lot of money, but is it ready to make the long-term bets needed to support fingerprint sensors in unique ways? 

• Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I do not understand. I read that in 2011 Motorola Atrix4G was using Authentech fingerprint sensor. How Apple was able to buy Authentech in 2012 without Motorola knowing it or objecting? Doesn.t Authentech need to continue supply sensors to Motorola?

Authentech no longer exists.  It became part of Apple when it was purchased and Apple does not supply other companies.

• Reply 26 of 83
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Sensor on the back makes a lot of sense to me. Where is your index finger when you're holding your phone? Making it an even larger phone by adding chin-space for the sensor on the front is what wouldn't make sense. Does it to you?

You're actually right, The orginal Motorola Atrix phone had the finger print reader on the back of the phone which you used the index finger to unlock the phone. I like it at this location since it made one handed unlocking very easy especially when your driving. However, the down fall was the fact it took mulitply swipes of the finger before it recognized it. Motorola could never get it to work correctly.

I got the i6 over the weekend, finally work is allowing iphones over the andriod and yes the finger print sensor works flawlessly, but it does take two hands and I wish it was on the back like Motorola originaly did. That was way more natural to use.

• Reply 27 of 83
    Quote:

??

Where did you find that rumor?

Sorry, *Samsung* product. Fits even better.

• Reply 28 of 83

It's funny how that out of all the Android phone makers out there,  only Huawei has come out with a fingerprint sensor that is even close to Apple's. Samsung's swipe style is flat-out horrible.

• Reply 29 of 83
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

The Galaxy S5's swipe is really, really bad. I don't know anyone who uses it. Touch ID is not perfect, but much better than anything out there without a doubt. 

I still don't understand how in 2015, major phone companies still can't make a well rounded phone. If your flagship is going to include biometric scanning, don't make it worthless.

• Reply 30 of 83
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    Quote:

First, it has to function.

Let me know when the competition gets to that point.

• Reply 31 of 83
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Of course it would make sense to an Android fan... Seriously, your last several postings have reeked of Android support, and have made no coherent sense whatsoever.

Perhaps you should consider commenting on an Android site instead, they'd probably appreciate your mindless flattery of that junker platform much more than Ai.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    ppietra wrote: »
    Do you even read what you write!?
    If you have an active fingerprint sensor you can’t wave or just pick up the phone, you need to use the sensor to unlock it first!
    I would ignore this guy, he's transitioned from being Ai's resident Android Expert to our resident Android Fandroid, and it's showing by his rapid decline in intelligent commentary...
  • Reply 33 of 83
    maestro64 wrote: »
    You're actually right, The orginal Motorola Atrix phone had the finger print reader on the back of the phone which you used the index finger to unlock the phone. I like it at this location since it made one handed unlocking very easy especially when your driving. However, the down fall was the fact it took mulitply swipes of the finger before it recognized it. Motorola could never get it to work correctly.

I got the i6 over the weekend, finally work is allowing iphones over the andriod and yes the finger print sensor works flawlessly, but it does take two hands and I wish it was on the back like Motorola originaly did. That was way more natural to use.
    Seriously? Two hands? I've NEVER used two hands to unlock my 5S, and every iPhone 6 owner I know at work does it with one hand with no issue...
  • Reply 34 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I think the front is better so if you have to make the chin slightly taller to accommodate it then that is what should be done. It is really just a tiny bit more space anyway and being able to see the sensor is a lot more efficient. Having it on the front makes a lot more sense, especially if you want common design functionality between your phones and tablets. I can't see a fingerprint sensor on the center back of a 10" tablet as being very practical.

With the iPhone 6, I don't use it one handed as much as before with the 5. One handed Touch ID with my thumb is not very comfortable. The grip gets a little shaky with the larger phone. I either use two hands or enter the passcode with my thumb as that method seems a little more balanced and less shaky, but most of the time I use two hands. 

• Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

How/why does it take two hands? You pick up the your iPhone 6/Plus with a hand and place that hand's thumb on the Home button. Also, why would you prefer a dedicated button or swipe area on the phone? There already is a camera module on the rear of the phone. You'd also want a fingerprint sensor? How is that better than having the sensor embedded in a pre-existing button? 

• Reply 36 of 83
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

I chuckled when I first read the immortal words from Steve about holding it wrong, however in this instance they do hold relevance.  Pun intended...

• Reply 37 of 83
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    T
    carthusia wrote: »

How/why does it take two hands? You pick up the your iPhone 6/Plus with a hand and place that hand's thumb on the Home button. Also, why would you prefer a dedicated button or swipe area on the phone? There already is a camera module on the rear of the phone. You'd also want a fingerprint sensor? How is that better than having the sensor embedded in a pre-existing button? 
    that guy didn't know TouchID works in all orientations, not only vertical direction like in Samsung Galaxy phone. He's probably coming from Android. Forgive him.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    Quote:

. . .I got the i6 over the weekend, finally work is allowing iphones over the andriod and yes the finger print sensor works flawlessly, but it does take two hands and I wish it was on the back like Motorola originaly did. That was way more natural to use.

It doesn't necessarily take two hands. You can program up to five "digits", and if you program your thumbs, you can use the thumb of the holding hand to unlock. The sensor recognizes the print in any orientation. Just get used to it. You know it's a better phone.

• Reply 39 of 83
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

To close out the argument: fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone is DUMB. It defeats all the purpose of convenience of having fingerprint sensor in the first place:

1. Multiple fingers or IDs

2. Multiple orientations allowed.

3. One button to activate the screen and unlock the phone.

4. Case friendly...even tho I don't use case.

5. Unlock the phone when you put the phone down without entering PIN.

6. What else?

• Reply 40 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

He'll use his thumb like 99% of Touch ID users.

Fandroids are still trying to get used to this whole opposable thumbs thing.* ;)

*Just in case anyone is offended, I want to be clear that I'm being facetious.