Adobe acknowledges critical remote vulnerability in Flash, exploits already in the wild

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I choose not to live a bi-polar paranoid life where the boogeyman is hiding behind every bush. I was online before Netscape appeared in Andreesen’s wet dreams. My online life is lived “informed but not alarmed.” I want to understand the Thunderstrike exploit but I also know that the chances of me being hit by it are about the same as being hit by a meteorite falling from the sky. Same goes for Flash. It is not the piece of crap Apple fanboys make it out to be and it certainly not going away anytime soon. Because “Steve” didn’t like it doesn’t mean it’s evil. Quicktime, now there’s an evil, useless piece of code that nobody uses anymore.
    Normally your commentary is spot-on, and I agree with it most of the time, this is not one of those times.

Flash is utter rubbish, and it's primary use is to serve malicious content, banner ads, or to track users, and generally degrade the user experience. Next time you say it's not rubbish, tell that the countless users who have had malicious software placed on their systems due to the drive-by vulnerabilities this POS has had multiple times, and also thanks to the broken updater. On Macs, it tends to work OK, but I've lost count how many PC's I find at work each day with versions several generations old, because the updater never worked properly.

Your claiming the Apple Fan Boys are the only ones calling it crap is insulting, because in this case, they are 110% correct, and this junk software needs to die. And BTW, I've yet to have ever had a single problem with QuickTime over the last 15 years, nor have I ever encountered anyone to have been given a problem by it, whereas anyone I ask has multiple horror stories of Flash.
  • Reply 82 of 94
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

No idea who this is, but it's one of those typical comments that I thought were stupid, but had to sit back and wait for reality to unfold to the point that it's doubtful that guy is pro-Flash on a smartphone today.

This is the guy you're looking for.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Wilson_(financier)

• Reply 83 of 94
    Mine just updated to .296, too.
    And it's available via Windows Update on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10
    EG from a quick google http://www.fairbuying.com/
  • Reply 84 of 94
    After testing, having Safari set to “Block” by default when Flash is installed DOES still report to websites that Flash is installed.

I don’t like that (and as such deleted Flash again).

How hard would it have been for Safari 8 to do that? I think that would have been great.

I think if you untick the box 'enable plugins', it may stop reporting that Flash is installed. Not sure.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I think if you untick the box 'enable plugins', it may stop reporting that Flash is installed. Not sure.

That sounds right to me.
  • Reply 86 of 94

Deleted. Ooooops.

• Reply 87 of 94
    Flash and it's constant pestering for updates is the ONLY software I absolutely hate on my mac.
  • Reply 88 of 94
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Wrong - Flash games use the Flash plugin, Unity games use the Unity plugin and H264 has nothing to do with the plugin themselves; it's a video codec Flash happens to support as part of its spec.
    Also browser makers are deprecating Unity web player alongside all other plugins in favor of HTML5, which is why Unity is working on HTML5 as build target.
    esummers wrote: »
    Flash games now use the Unity web plugin. Flash movies now use H.264. Time to get rid of flash completely.
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

YouTube is the one Flash-heavy sight that you can use without Flash or having to trick the site into thinking you're on an iPad.

The problem is it doesn't work very well. I have tried HTML5 on Youtube countless times in the hope that it has improved. But it's still shit.

• Reply 90 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The problem is it doesn't work very well. I have tried HTML5 on Youtube countless times in the hope that it has improved. But it's still shit.

The best way is to block Flash (click2flash plugin) and it won't revert to Youtube's HTML 5 setup but it gets taken over by the browser's built-in playback, which cuts out the ads. The scrubbing capability is so much better than either Flash or the HTML 5 setup and you can right-click to download videos.
  • Reply 91 of 94

Do you have an example to show me? It's been so long since I had an issue with their HTML5 implementation, which really only seemed to be VEVO and others that wanted to make sure you used Flash, that I am at a loss here.

Marvin wrote: »
    The best way is to block Flash (click2flash plugin) and it won't revert to Youtube's HTML 5 setup but it gets taken over by the browser's built-in playback, which cuts out the ads. The scrubbing capability is so much better than either Flash or the HTML 5 setup and you can right-click to download videos.

edit: I just checked out each right-click option (Safari's built-in HTML5 player, YouTube's HTML5 player, and Youtube's Flash player) and the only one that allows downloading is Safari's built-in option so I'm guessing I read your comment wrong.
  • Reply 92 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I just checked out each right-click option (Safari's built-in HTML5 player, YouTube's HTML5 player, and Youtube's Flash player) and the only one that allows downloading is Safari's built-in option so I'm guessing I read your comment wrong.

Safari's built-in player is what I was saying is the best one, Youtube's HTML 5 player isn't as good.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    I think MacTubes gets around Flash for PPC as well.

I used Tubex on my iDevices, it's much better than the official app, especially as you can close the app but the video will keep playing.

I just tried to install MacTubes on my PPC Tiger Mac.
    No go, the MacTubes installer is Intel.