Fingerprint sensor for Google's Nexus 6 was nixed after Apple bought AuthenTec

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mstone wrote: »
    What a joke. First you have to calibrate your screen which requires a credit card. LOL!
    LOL! It won't cost anything. You just hold a credit card up to the image on the next screen to adjust the size.

But simply read the dimensions and look at the pictures if you'd rather. Or download the two images and life-size them yourself. The two are nearly identical in size. It should be visually obvious that quite a bit more space would need to be created on the Nexus to fit a reader.

Edit>
    I did it for you. The chin on the Nexus measures 5/16". The iPhone 6+ measures 1/2". Note too that adding addition chin would typically mean adding additional forehead too for aesthetic reasons. So at least another 1/2" in height, correct?
  • Reply 62 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Then simply read the dimensions and look at the pictures. The two are nearly identical in size. It should be visually obvious that quite a bit more space would need to be created on the Nexus to fit a reader.

If you send me to a pay wall your argument is essentially dead. No one is denying that a little bit more space is required for Touch ID but, the end result is much better. Apple's design aesthetic is about proportion and consistency so they want all iOS devices to be exactly the same in terms of user interaction and also proportions of the top area and the bottom area being of equal size as well. In my mind there is less compromise in iOS devices compared to Google devices and  Google knows that. That is why they are developing so aggressively for iOS. It is just a much better platform and attracts a user of a higher educational level, and also a more affluent user.

• Reply 63 of 83
    If you send me to a pay wall your argument is essentially dead.
    It's not a pay wall. Click the calibrate button and it takes to to a screen where you can use either a drivers license or credit card to adjust the on-screen image until they match.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    If you send me to a pay wall your argument is essentially dead. No one is denying that a little bit more space is required for Touch ID but, the end result is much better. Apple's design aesthetic is about proportion and consistency so they want all iOS devices to be exactly the same in terms of user interaction and also proportions of the top area and the bottom area being of equal size as well. In my mind there is less compromise in iOS devices compared to Google devices and  Google knows that. That is why they are developing so aggressively for iOS. It is just a much better platform and attracts a user of a higher educational level, and also a more affluent user.
    That's all fine and good but it's not iPhone vs. Nexus. It 's about the best choice for integrating a sensor into the Nexus 6 which has a nuch larger display than even the 6+ yet fits the same still very large footprint. What benefit would be derived from making the Nexus significantly taller than it already is? IMHO putting it on the back is the better choice for that particular phone and makes sense.

Read back to my first post. I stand by it 100% tho I'm willing to change my view if you can give good reasons to.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/184507/fingerprint-sensor-for-googles-nexus-6-was-nixed-after-apple-bought-authentec#post_2666566
  • Reply 65 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

IMHO putting it on the back is the better choice for that particular phone and makes sense.

No that is entirely stupid. It needs to be consistent across all similar products, Home button and ID needs to be on the front, We have a beautiful implementation of Touch ID in the home button. Why would we want to change that? Go evangelize the Android users. IPhone users are very content with how Touch ID works. It is up to Android to one up us if  they can. Let's see how that works out.

• Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No that is entirely stupid. It needs to be consistent across all similar products, Home button and ID needs to be on the front, We have a beautiful implementation of Touch ID in the home button. Why would we want to change that? Go evangelize the Android users. IPhone users are very content with how Touch ID works. It is up to Android to one up us if  they can. Let's see how that works out.

Man mstone, you're a trooper! GG is just going to keep throwing up straw man arguments until you give up. 

It's not all that complicated. Don't make a 6" phone. 5.5" is already pushing it. Even if you have a 6" phone, the list compiled by flallenjt pretty much sums it up. Sensor on the back is a bad idea. On top of that, as you said, the aesthetic and functional coherence with other products is an important factor as well.

• Reply 67 of 83
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Quote:

That's all fine and good but it's not iPhone vs. Nexus. It 's about the best choice for integrating a sensor into the Nexus 6 which has a nuch larger display than even the 6+ yet fits the same still very large footprint. What benefit would be derived from making the Nexus significantly taller than it already is? IMHO putting it on the back is the better choice for that particular phone and makes sense.

Read back to my first post. I stand by it 100% tho I'm willing to change my view if you can give good reasons to.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/184507/fingerprint-sensor-for-googles-nexus-6-was-nixed-after-apple-bought-authentec#post_2666566

Gee, why do I see your arguments as a thinly veiled attempt to damn the iPhone 6 design team. I guess it is your persistence in defending a design intent for the larger screened, yet smaller footprint of the Nexus 6, that frankly no one cares about, with or without a poorly implemented Touch ID equivalent.

Of course, I recall your arguments wrt the Nexus 9 and its very poor build quality, stating that the Nexus 9 was, after all, just a demonstrator for those hapless OEM's that cannot function without Google's guidance. Moreover, you pointed out that Google doesn't even advertise the Nexus to the general public which was, frankly, BS, yet was really only intended for developers.

You sir, have lost your mind.

• Reply 68 of 83
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That reads like foolishness.

The article is about the Nexus 6 not an iPhone, and my comments were directed at what I think is the best placement for a touch sensor on that particular phablet Android phone. It would seem you might be arguing about a phone you don't own and probably a platform you've never used. What would that make you look like again? :rolleyes:
    I used the damn GS3 and dump that POS because Touch response sucked.
    I should've taken the comment from a person who never used a fingerprint implemented device as a grain of salts.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Mine doesn't. If my finger is wet or if the home button gets greasy I get frequent failures and have to fall back to pin entry.
    how Are your wet fingers become Apple's feature issue? Get real!
  • Reply 70 of 83
    The Nexus 6 is already a very large phone. Android phone don't typically have physical home buttons on the front either, and certainly not relatively large ones. For Apple to add the touch sensor to an existing home button makes good sense. Adding another 3/4" in height to a very large Android phablet only to add a touch sensor doesn't sound like a better solution than making use of already "dead" space in an area that your finger would naturally reside anyway. Am I missing something?
    Yes, you are missing the point that the sensor is designed for multiple finger prints and by implementing it in the back, it will limit the use to ONE print (Index) yup...talk about user experience...Android devices don't have one for this reason: patching to make it work.
    Btw, fandroids are crazy about top/bottom thin bezels and now they're stuck with that design without possibility for fingerprint sensor integration in front surface. People seems not realize that top/bottom bezels have zero impact/benefit on screen usability but for cosmetic purpose only because your reachability to any part of the screen doesn't change.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    LOL! It won't cost anything. You just hold a credit card up to the image on the next screen to adjust the size.

What a fu**ing mess....
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:

I totally understand what you mean. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to put a Touch ID sensor on the back because it works much better on the front. It integrates with the home button, it's good for multiple fingers, etc. The placement of the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus is better placed on the home button for those reasons.

For the Nexus 6 specifically, the dimple on the back seems like a nice place for a fingerprint sensor because there is no physical home button on the front, only a software home button. The Nexus 6 is huge as it is so increasing its size wouldn't make sense just to add a fingerprint sensor, especially if the only reason it's on the front is to be a fingerprint sensor and nothing else. The dimple on the back of the phone would be a better place to put the fingerprint sensor on the Nexus 6.

• Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

how Are your wet fingers become Apple's feature issue? Get real!

Well if you can use an Android phone with wet finger, then it does become Apples problem. I find my fingerprint reader on my iPhone a pain around 30% of the time because it doesn't work perfectly. I would much rather have it switched off for basic unlock functions and then used to lock down specific apps such as password managers or online banking. I have also managed to unlock my phone and access Siri on numeorus occasion when trying to just see the time quietly in a meeting. So now longer have Siri switched on, whihc is no real loss as it was pretty useless anyway - not like Google Now which is a great product.

• Reply 74 of 83
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

An iPhone has always had a physical home button, so it is very logical to add the TouchID sensor to the home button. 

A Nexus smartphones did not have a physical home button.  When adding a touch sensor, it does make sense to put it at the back where the index finger rests.  As such, the physical size does not need to change

Where is the issue?

• Reply 75 of 83
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Mine doesn't. If my finger is wet or if the home button gets greasy I get frequent failures and have to fall back to pin entry.

It doesn't work when wet or covered in bacon grease. That's within normal operating parameters.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

Oh rly? Guess you haven't looked at an iPhone 6 and am iPad. Completely different button placements for various interactions.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Sensor on the back makes a lot of sense to me. Where is your index finger when you're holding your phone? Making it an even larger phone by adding chin-space for the sensor on the front is what wouldn't make sense. Does it to you?

Why would yout make the sensor recognize only your index finger? On my iPhone ToouchID I have both index fingers and both thumbs on the first four fingerprints. The iPhone TouchID also can be trained for multiple fingers on a single finger configuration. That allows me to add the third finger of both hands as well.  Having the sensor on the front of the phone allows me to use the sensor when the phone is laying on a table or when it's docked in a cradle in my car. I also dock the phone on my bedside table because I use it to listen to music and as my alarm clock. Putting the sensor on the back doesn't make sense. Does it to you?

• Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

Ah, you're a gripper! image

So try moving that finger around to the front sensor with that hand. How's that work for you compared to touching the back with that index finger if the sensor were there?

Typically the thumb is used on the TouchID while holding the iPhone. Of course you can train the TouchID to recognize multiple fingers to unlock the phone. If the phone is laying on a table or in a docking device how convenient is that rear facing unlock sensor?

• Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It doesn't necessarily take two hands. You can program up to five "digits", and if you program your thumbs, you can use the thumb of the holding hand to unlock. The sensor recognizes the print in any orientation. Just get used to it. You know it's a better phone.

Even though it's not documented you are able to store more than one digit in one of the fingerprint settings. In the five settings I have stored: right thumb, left thumb, right index, left index, and in the fifth one I combined the two middle fingers. That gives me the flexibility of having six fingers programmed.

Another manufacturer will eventually come up with a good competitor for Apple's iTouch but Apple has continued to improve it. As you said it's a better phone.

• Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

To close out the argument: fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone is DUMB. It defeats all the purpose of convenience of having fingerprint sensor in the first place:

1. Multiple fingers or IDs

2. Multiple orientations allowed.

3. One button to activate the screen and unlock the phone.

4. Case friendly...even tho I don't use case.

5. Unlock the phone when you put the phone down without entering PIN.

6. What else?

There is an undocumented feature of TouchID that allows you to program two fingers into one fingerprint setting. Using this I have six digits setup on my iPhone.