Briefly: Apple TV gains 120 Sports channel, Twitter adds group messaging

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2015
Apple on Thursday added yet another sports channel to the ever-expanding Apple TV content lineup, while Twitter updated its iOS app with a new feature that allows for direct messages to be sent to groups.

Sports aficionados can now take advantage of video content from the Sports Illustrated-backed 120 Sports channel on the Apple TV. The service brings news and highlights from Sports Illustrated, the NBA, NHL, MLB, NASCAR, and various colleges.

The Apple TV channel joins 120 Sports's existing apps for the iPad and iPhone. It is the second sports-related channel added to the mix in as many weeks, after Tennis Channel Everywhere came on board just before the start of the Australian Open.

Reader Phillip also sent word to AppleInsider on Tuesday that Apple has added the "tenplay" network for Cricket viewers in Australia.

Twitter, meanwhile, has rolled out a long-awaited feature that allows users to send direct messages to groups of up to 20 people at once. Importantly, all of the users involved in a direct message group do not need to follow each other in order to see the chat.

Additionally, Twitter's iOS app now has a facility for capturing and editing videos directly within the app. Videos can be up to 30 seconds long, and they need not be captured live --?videos from the camera roll are eligible as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Apple gained the Tennis Channel and I don't recall reading about it, outside of the Australian Open.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    technotechno Posts: 737member

Now it is time to update the interface of Apple TV. We need a better way of navigating.

• Reply 3 of 12
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Yay, another icon to hide.

We generally just use Netflix so leave the icons as they exist that are there now. Luckily, Netflix is staying near the top left corner on the main AppleTV screen.

Yes, the interface is a bit dated. Would be nice to have a list view and a way to click a box to the right of the channel and hide it.

It would be nice to also be able to segregate free vs cable/pd channels. There are new channels added and it is not always clear what is free or ad sponsored or whatever, like PBS.

Also, it is not clear what channels show everything or just part of a channel, like PBS.

Additionally, on a 73" TV (or any big TV), the icons are too large and variably sizing would be nice.

Anyhoo...

• Reply 4 of 12
    Oh goodie! Another sports channel.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

Now it is time to update the interface of Apple TV. We need a better way of navigating.

Yup - my reaction was "oh good, I get to go home and reorganize my AppleTV menu *again*".

• Reply 6 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Yay, another icon to hide.

We generally just use Netflix so leave the icons as they exist that are there now. Luckily, Netflix is staying near the top left corner on the main AppleTV screen.

You do know that you can reorder the icons on the screen any way you would like don’t you? You can put the Netflix icon anywhere you like.

• Reply 7 of 12
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You do know that you can reorder the icons on the screen any way you would like don’t you? You can put the Netflix icon anywhere you like.

Yes, I'm fine with where the Netflix icon is. It's easy to find.

May have to go in this evening and start hiding icons.

• Reply 8 of 12
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

The ? TV is in need of some lovin'

• Reply 9 of 12
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The next generation Apple TV is overdue. It's time.
  • Reply 10 of 12

BBC iPlayer is overdue on Apple TV...

Can't fathom the reason, as it is on so many 'Smart' TV's and other media streamers, eg WDTV-Live/etc. 

• Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

I agree...I had the original ATV and, at the time, it was worth the price just to have my photos "Ken Burns'ing" across my TV with a little light jazz playing in the background. It's a truly delightful way to view your photos. I would venture a guess that one enjoys/views more of their personal photos via this ATV method than any other previous way. I.e., looking at them in hard cover albums, on the computer, email, etc.

Having said that...I had sold my original ATV years ago and not replaced it until this Xmas. I suppose I've become somewhat jaded with the iPhones and iPads simple use. The new ATV was slow, clunky and clumsy. Ugh. I returned it to Target.

• Reply 12 of 12

I'm ready to get another TV device. I can run Netflix on my Sony Blu-Ray, along with other channels, but the interface is horrible.

We want to pick up a box that runs tons of other channels and services we can install.

We've been waiting forever for an update where AppleTV can exceed what the others offer, but it still seems to be standing still while others have raced past it.

We could stream all of the stuff from ATV through our phones, but we don't want to do that.