Apple releases iOS 8.1.3 reducing storage required to update, squashing Spotlight bugs, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow that's a great user experience...

Here's a idea, buy a phone with a lot more storage capacity!!!  Besides do you really need a bunch of Baby video's on your phone?  Wouldn't it be far safer to at least back up the phone on itunes.  Move the videos to iCloud or any number of other things.  iOS and it's updates are SMALLER then Android!!!!  Try to do a windows Update with your HDD all filled up and very little space left.  On no, what a great user experience,....

• Reply 22 of 60

Oh I'm glad that they fixed the multitask gestures on the ipad. That was a weird bug I'd run into every couple of days. Also it forgets my keyboard shortcuts occasionally for whatever reason

• Reply 23 of 60
    Quote:

Fixes an issue which prevented multitasking gestures from working on iPad 

YES. This has been a maddening bug. Especially since it's very intermittent.

I hope they fixed the Other storage issue, it's been less prominent with 8.1.2 but still is present.

• Reply 24 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Cue the "Is it safe to update to?" 

But really.

I always get a chuckle out of the “Does it fix the obscure bug I and few others think is real but we stand around circle jerking each other and calling Apple engineers incompetent” crowd. They’re a hoot.

• Reply 25 of 60

After upgrading, I am having issues not being able to update any Apps. The circle just keeps spinning. I have tried updating Shazam and another App ...both are still spinning after 5 minutes without any download progress.

Anyone else having this problem?

• Reply 26 of 60
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

So how much space is now required??

I would like to update my wife's 4s from iOS 6 wirelessly with only 246MB free (she's got a ton of baby videos.)

When doing an update via iTunes the size doesn't matter as the phone isn't running when the OS swap is performed: that's what takes up the space having to have a fully functional OS running at the very same time you're installing another fully functional OS to be it's replacement.

• Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chiefthinker View Post

After upgrading, I am having issues not being able to update any Apps. The circle just keeps spinning. I have tried updating Shazam and another App ...both are still spinning after 5 minutes without any download progress.

Odds are rather huge: server overload as every iPhone user on the planet does exactly the same thing.

ETA: Once my update finished (minutes) I had three apps (Yelp. TiVo and another) to update. That took seconds. Work WiFi.  46Mbps down, 34Mbps up, latency 5.06 ms

• Reply 28 of 60
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

http://lists.apple.com/archives/security-announce/2015/Jan/msg00001.html

33 security bugs in 20 separate issues. Repeat after me, Apple is not immune...

Apple was never "immune", just not typically targeted...

But becoming the 'big dog' makes them a bigger target...

well, makes us...

• Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefthinker View Post

Don't have any apps that need updating to test this. As has been said, it's probably a server load issue.

• Reply 30 of 60
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Cue the "Is it safe to update to?" 

But really.

I updated my iPad Air, but it required a few restarts to get it working again (was frozen at the Lock Screen). I tried updating my iPhone 6, but then required me to restore it on iTunes. Fortunately I am a home and can do it right now. The last few over-the-air updates have worked so well that I would have been tempted to do it on the road, which would have left me with a brick until I could get to my desktop. I think I will wait until I update my wife's 5S. 

• Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cm477 View Post

I updated my iPad Air, but it required a few restarts to get it working again (was frozen at the Lock Screen). I tried updating my iPhone 6, but then required me to restore it on iTunes. Fortunately I am a home and can do it right now. The last few over-the-air updates have worked so well that I would have been tempted to do it on the road, which would have left me with a brick until I could get to my desktop. I think I will wait until I update my wife's 5S. 

An iTunes update is just such a much simpler process: not two full operating systems on the device at the same time etc. Always going to be the more prudent route. All it takes is a communication glitch and things will start going sideways potentially...

• Reply 32 of 60
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    To update 8.1.3 from 6.x or 7.x, would it be better to update through use of iTune on PC/MAC to download 8.1.3 and than update instead of over the air possibly reducing install memory requirement ? Many 16GB iphone users have not much available memory left for clean installation due to tons of pictures and videos. Any comment ?
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregq View Post

> Reduces the amount of storage required to perform a software update

I hope Apple doesn't use this as an excuse for continuing with the 16mb iPhone/iPad.

Seriously, 16 megabyte iPhones are so 1992...

• Reply 34 of 60
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

So how much space is now required??

I would like to update my wife's 4s from iOS 6 wirelessly with only 246MB free (she's got a ton of baby videos.)

Depends on your iPhone. On my iPhone 6, the update was 247MB alone. I suggest not leaving so much on your phone. Always good to have lots of free space... you never know when you'll need it and then have to go and delete stuff.

• Reply 35 of 60
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

As opposed to the stick Apple uses on iPhones/iPads of forced, hidden download of huge, unwanted system updates. I guess in a couple of days I'll need to remember to go in and delete that which I never asked for in the first place to recover the 2-3+ GB of storage space it takes up.

Or, you can just go into the Settings, ITunes & App Store, and disable automatic downloads of updates.  Not really a hard thing to do.

• Reply 36 of 60
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

I don't understand why adding each new channel requires an ATV software update...

Because it needs to be appended to all of the menus, among other things.

The AppleTV doesn't require an update to install new channels all the time. A new channel was added last week without an update. Many others have been added over the last year is this same manner. It just so happens that a new channel showed up along with today's ATV update.

• Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Don't have any apps that need updating to test this. As has been said, it's probably a server load issue.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure you're correct but wonder .... does this mean the App Store is down too? I ask because I deleted the Shazam App and it still doesn't download. Seems like Apple should be able to handle an update without having it effecting potential sales in the App Store!?

• Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

To update 8.1.3 from 6.x or 7.x, would it be better to update through use of iTune on PC/MAC to download 8.1.3 and than update instead of over the air possibly reducing install memory requirement ? Many 16GB iphone users have not much available memory left for clean installation due to tons of pictures and videos. Any comment ?

That's certainly the more rational approach IMHO, especially for anyone in a less than totally rock solid wireless environment where transmission glitches when you're in the middle of building the operating system on the device that's doing the communicating can only lead to very bad things... I think of it (not entirely accurately admittedly) as swapping out the engine of your car while you're driving the car.. 

• Reply 39 of 60
    Why is it that it's a 1.7 GB update on my iPhone and a 236MB on the iPad? iPad took a few minutes and iTunes says the iPhone will be 88 minutes or more currently....ugh
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartmammal View Post

Why is it that it's a 1.7 GB update on my iPhone and a 236MB on the iPad? iPad took a few minutes and iTunes says the iPhone will be 88 minutes or more currently....ugh

Did you do the iPad OTA? For my iPhone 6 Plus OTA it was 247 MB.... iTunes does a full swap out IIRC. Easier since the device isn't running it.