End of MS agreement, What does it mean?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
1) At least slower Office development if any at all. Personally I don't care that much as long as I can freely change documents between my Mac and my PC. I don't use half the features anyway.

2) More open source programming. From what I've read, the current agreement puts some restrictions slowing down the open source developments. This is of course good news

3) [Possible] end of Windows Media Player for the Mac. That would be disastrous if that happened. We already have to live without RealPlayer and if MS withdrew the Media player we're only left with QT that hasn't taken off really in terms of Radio/TV broadcasting.

Any thoughts? What will it mean for the platform given the fact it will not be renewed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    [quote] 3) [Possible] end of Windows Media Player for the Mac. That would be disastrous if that happened. We already have to live without RealPlayer and if MS withdrew the Media player we're only left with QT that hasn't taken off really in terms of Radio/TV broadcasting. <hr></blockquote>

Have you used Media Player? Its bloatware that crashes in less then a friggin' New York Minute!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Microsoft is eager to show off it's .net strategy for the Mac, and I'm sure we'll see all of their plans at MWNY.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    [quote]Originally posted by Crusader:

<strong>

Have you used Media Player? Its bloatware that crashes in less then a friggin' New York Minute!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've used mine since the day I got Office (Day one actually) and it has never crashed. It would never be my preferred application but more and more broadcasters are using it
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    I don't think office development for the mac will slow down a whole lot. The office suites have always been a cash cow for MS, and even though it doesn't have anywhere near the user base of the PC version, the mac office suite is still a very profitable product.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Broadcasting will never take off as long as multiple proprietary streaming methods exist.

The computer industry continues to make the same mistakes over and over again. Interoperability is king. Microsofts agreement ending with Apple is only dangerous in the fact that Office X could end at anytime. Where would Apple be without Office? In a world of hurt.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 7 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Crusader:

<strong>

Have you used Media Player? Its bloatware that crashes in less then a friggin' New York Minute!</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's never crashed on me.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    No need to worry

<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0204/10.microsoft.php"; target="_blank">From Maccentral</a>