“evaluation” copy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Can they (Microsoft or Adobe or etc) tell if I am using an ‘evaluation’ copy of their softwares? What if I use them only while I am off-line?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    No, they cannot tell if you're using it offline. I think that the version you're using will expire sometime though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Just hit "no" when the programs ask if you want to register on-line, and you should be fine. Far as I know, Adobe and MS don't include spyware in their programs to monitor unregistered copies. At least, not yet...

Remember, it's only paranoia if it isn't true.

• Reply 3 of 8
    Adobe and Macromedia both will contact their home servers if you are online and will log your IP and serial number.

You have been warned...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Adobe and Macromedia both will contact their home servers if you are online and will log your IP and serial number.

You have been warned...</strong><hr></blockquote>

The question is: does that matter?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I think if that really meant something, the posting population on these boards would be quite a bit smaller...

• Reply 6 of 8
    It might matter; it might not.

They may not pursue and press charges today, but what if they do tomorrow?

That's why I said he'd been "warned"...

Of course, some of us use tightly-configured firewalls to make sure absolutely nothing goes out or comes in without permission. That's why I *know* Adobe and Macromedia software tries to contact their home servers upon launch; I have logs of each time they are blocked.

By the way, Microsoft Office v.X doesn't contact a server, but it does check the network for running copies and will not launch if a copy with the same serial number is already running. Adobe's software does the same thing.

:cool:

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    I have pirated versions of Flash 5 and Photoshop 6. Nobody has knocked on my door yet.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    FYI, Macromedia started their logging with the betas of MX.