Google Play downloads are growing, but Apple's App Store commands 70% of revenue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Android is all about cheap phones.... Revenues are a consequence
  • Reply 22 of 29
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Double
  • Reply 23 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

... I still don’t fully understand the surveys that show Android users are basically cheapskates that don’t spend money on apps, don’t browse the web, and just don’t seem to use their devices for anything other than making phone calls.

I don't spend much money on apps and I don't browse the web on my iOS devices either. I just looked, and I have a total of six paid apps which includes all iWork apps and also one paid game. I do have a few paid books, but most of my music is ripped from my collection. I don't like surfing the web on iOS because there are too many ads which can't be blocked and a lot of websites trap you into their crap web apps that can't be scaled or zoomed. Horrible user experience on a small screen.

There are tons of other things to do with an iPhone. I have all the free apps from the big names that don't show ads, plus Apple's full default suite of excellent apps. I use maps, text and email all day long on my iPhone. So my point is that you don't need buy apps or surf the web to prove anything. I have a few friends who use Android and they are busy professionals, not cheapskates. 

• Reply 24 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Look stop trying to put some common sense, the yokels won't like it!

The third group often pirates apps to death (you don't need to be an expert tinkerer of group 2 to do that, or even that technically savvy), so it is not "hate" of Apple, but hate that Apple won't help get then a free lunch ;-). I'd say, most of the online Android fans on tech sites are of group 3.  They hide their main motivation under the smokescreen of "openess" and suppodedly Google being "open source". I'm betting they're MS fans too for the same exact reason.

• Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

They hide their main motivation under the smokescreen of "openess" and suppodedly Google being "open source". I'm betting they're MS fans too for the same exact reason.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

If anything, Android users also being Windows users have only one thing in common - a historical dislike for Apple. If open source was really an issue they would be Linux users. The walled garden is what they object to. The very idea of a garden is objectionable to them. When you are raised on Cheetos and Mountain Dew, garden is a foreign concept.

• Reply 26 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That makes no sense whatsoever.

If anything, Android users also being Windows users have only one thing in common - a historical dislike for Apple. If open source was really an issue they would be Linux users. The walled garden is what they object to. The very idea of a garden is objectionable to them. When you are raised on Cheetos and Mountain Dew, garden is a foreign concept.

I didn't say the position was coherent... It is absolutely not. It is a false pretense.

The real reason for those people, is free stuff. Nothing more, nothing less. And that's why they're into Android AND MS.

The biggest group of Android and Apple users  are non tech savvy people; main difference between the groups, price sensitivity and how much their phone is part of their work life. Thus, the importance of reliability, security, privacy, durability and support for IOS buyers. Price is obviously not #1 if you're ready to give a 40% margin to the phone maker (instead of 5-20%)

• Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

I didn't say the position was coherent... It is absolutely not. It is a false pretense.

The real reason for those people, is free stuff. Nothing more, nothing less. And that's why they're into Android AND MS.

The biggest group of Android and Apple users  are non tech savvy people; main difference between the groups, price sensitivity and how much their phone is part of their work life. Thus, the importance of reliability, security, privacy, durability and support for IOS buyers. Price is obviously not #1 if you're ready to give a 40% margin to the phone maker (instead of 5-20%)

I don't buy that either. There are definitely different cases for various consumers groups, but the average super user of Android and Windows is not price sensitive. It is a conscious choice to choose anything but Apple. The really cheap people who are on Metro PCS with a voice only plan and a free phone are just budget challenged but that is not the profile of a vocal Android fanatic.

You are either saying the "open source" proponents are zealots or they have price sensitivity. I don't think it can be both. The people who are non-tech savvy are not vocal proponents of Android or opponents of Apple. They may secretly wish to have an Apple phone or PC but they don't go around boasting about the superiority of Android or Windows.

• Reply 28 of 29

Hi,

i am using the smartphone first.i download the some game apps in google play.

• Reply 29 of 29
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cynic View Post

Thanks for sharing this.

I am not exactly sure how you distribute your apps on the App Store, apparently using a third party payment gateway. It would however explain, why the Android revenue is higher, since iOS users are used to and love the convenience of the App Store. Convincing them to somehow register and pay through a third party in order to unlock something would be a pretty hard sell.

Regarding those 30%, you need to consider the benefits of being exposed on the App Store

The app is published in App Store (and Google Play) as a free app, You can use with limited functionality. For full functionality you need a paid subscription via an inApp purchase.   Because it is a free app, all benefits and convience of the App Store is available.

The  app is currently only available in Belgium. The payment gateway has quite known in Belgium for e-commerce websites.  It offers direct links to all important Belgium banks and has in Belgium a higher trust level than the credit cards based payments in the App Store and Play Store.  So it is not a harder sell than a normal inApp purchase,