By the numbers: Apple's ludicrous fourth quarter

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    imagladry wrote: »
    Hey, maybe Apple could float m$ 150 mil to keep it afloat. Wouldn't that be divine justice.

With MS' failures lately I've been wondering about this.

Someone mentioned the Surface selling 1M is regarded as a success in the media while regarding iPads 22M as a "failure".

A headline I saw today read:
    "Tim Cook says the iPad can still be saved".
    ????
  • Reply 82 of 122
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    cali wrote: »
    With MS' failures lately I've been wondering about this.

Someone mentioned the Surface selling 1M is regarded as a success in the media while regarding iPads 22M as a "failure".

A headline I saw today read:
    "Tim Cook says the iPad can still be saved".
    ????

Aren't iPad profits about 50% higher than that of the Mac. And aren't Mac profits about 50% of the entire "PC" industry profits? What I wouldn't give to have a failure like that.
  • Reply 83 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali wrote: »

Depends on how you look at it. The Surface, and iPad are being compared to themselves. If Surface sales are up YoY then yes it's a success, and since iPads numbers YoY are down then that's a failure. The number they sold is irrelevant that way.
  • Reply 84 of 122
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Depends on how you look at it. The Surface, and iPad are being compared to themselves. If Surface sales are up YoY then yes it's a success, and since iPads numbers YoY are down then that's a failure. The number they sold is irrelevant that way.

That would be a very narrow view of success. I'm certain MS would gladly trade their Surface SUCCESS with Apple's iPad FAILURE any day.
  • Reply 85 of 122
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That would be a very narrow view of success. I'm certain MS would gladly trade their Surface SUCCESS with Apple's iPad FAILURE any day.

I agree, but people use narrow views all the time. It could be 1M Surface tablets today, but how many people are going to them being used on the sidelines during the Super Bowl? That number might just grow considerably for this quarter.
  • Reply 86 of 122
    Way Off Topic: [@]dasanman69[/@], you watch [I]Banshee[/I], right?
  • Reply 87 of 122
    Way Off Topic: [@]dasanman69[/@], you watch Banshee, right?

Love Banshee. When aren't I way off topic? :lol:
  • Reply 88 of 122
    Love Banshee. When aren't I way off topic? :lol:

Just catching up with last week's episode. It was hard to determine who to root for in that first fight. I'll be sad to see the beautiful
    Spoiler:
    leave the show.
  • Reply 89 of 122
    Just catching up with last week's episode. It was hard to determine who to root for in that first fight. I'll be sad to see the beautiful
    Spoiler:
    leave the show.

How could you not root for Nola? She's freaking HOT
  • Reply 90 of 122
    How could you not root for Nola? She's freaking HOT

1) But Clay Burton is such a great henchman.

2a) The series Odette's are for short spurts or soon being canceled, like the last season of House MD or that short-lived sitcom with Christian Slater running a computer security firm

2b) I found it interesting that she changed her surname when she got married despite already having a name for herself in Hollywood. I find that to be an attractive quality, but I'm not sure why. My best guess is an inherent insecurity in me and/or programmed (either nature or nurture) for the woman to adopt the man's last name.
  • Reply 91 of 122
    Ain't surprised! We old Apple heads still remember using Apple classics with Claris works and doing physics experiments. Unbelievable even today how freaking awesome that experience was.
    All their swag works like advertised.
    Huh, but look at those clowns at MS. Windows 8 with no goddamn drivers for the effing CD player?
    Chaotic uses experience. Now jimbo(ballmer) is gone and that new clown is helming ms with his bs guru theology. Staring into f**** space with his hands clasped together.
    Baby, take that drama, set it to music and kiss my ***!
  • Reply 92 of 122
    1) But Clay Burton is such a great henchman.

He's a phenomenonal henchman. I thought they'd get interrupted, or fight until exhaustion, and call it a draw. I never saw her on House, and lately my show watching is either on a premium channel, or AMC.
  • Reply 93 of 122
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Source?

Stock market capitalisation... Sure you can figure that out yourself.

• Reply 94 of 122
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Sports analogy: so if the Phillies won 95 games one year and won 92 games the next, it'll be a failure. If the Cubs won 71 games one year and 78 games the next, that's a success?
  • Reply 95 of 122
    jungmark wrote: »
    Sports analogy: so if the Phillies won 95 games one year and won 92 games the next, it'll be a failure. If the Cubs won 71 games one year and 78 games the next, that's a success?

One year no, but a decline over several seasons then yes.
  • Reply 96 of 122
    He's a phenomenonal henchman. I thought they'd get interrupted, or fight until exhaustion, and call it a draw. I never saw her on House, and lately my show watching is either on a premium channel, or AMC.

I wonder anyone has done a list of the best #2's in history. Be it Darth Vader to Emperor Palpatine or Commander Riker to Jean Luc Piccard, who would be the coolest #2 character?
  • Reply 97 of 122
    Aten't iPad profits about 50% higher than that of the Mac. And aren't Mac profits about 50% of the entire "PC" industry? What I wouldn't give to have a failure like that.

Oh yeah iPad is definitely a failure.
    Apple needs to drop it from it's product line already!!

• Reply 98 of 122
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Stock market capitalisation... Sure you can figure that out yourself.

Awesome!

Since its so damn fast n easy for you look up all companies, add all valuations, remove the highest valued companies one by one until the sum of all companies is below 179B or whatever you go do that!

Even then you still won't have the SOURCE of this information, which is what I'm looking for.
  • Reply 99 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

Why bother with antediluvian transport systems like aircraft carriers?

Hallelujah to Safari on OS X to help me look up the meaning of antediluvian without having to leave the page!

• Reply 100 of 122
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

I wonder anyone has done a list of the best #2's in history. Be it Darth Vader to Emperor Palpatine or Commander Riker to Jean Luc Piccard, who would be the coolest #2 character?

Mr. Hankey