Apple iPad sales slumped 18% in Q1, but Cook still sees 'bright future' for platform

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    Here are some of my thoughts on what Apple should do in the coming future, and please do discuss if you agree with me or not:

Short term tasks:
    A new flavour of iOS for iPad that will significantly enhance multitasking (someone I admit Microsoft is somewhat better at) for iPad Air and 'iPad Pro'
    Standard enhancements on speed, camera and other hardware on iPhones
    Further push on platform unity and ecosystem advantages I.e. App quality and quantity. This is particularly important for Apple Watch
    iOS 9 could be a good idea to be a sort of a 'Snow Leopard' release. There will be new features, but not as much as iOS 8. Focus should be on refinements, performance and reliability. Leave the big features to iOS X.
    Expand Apple Pay and iTunes Radio to more countries as soon as possible. I can't believe after 1.5 years that service is still in US and Australia only.
    (I don't mind if they killed the iPod line. Apple is known for killing off their own products. However, I would still love to see if they still care about this category and release new iPod touch and shuffle as the only line up in iPods. The nano is pretty much useless now with Apple Watch coming up. I would love to see Apple Watch to be able to work with iPod touch and iPad too (albeit maybe a slightly different flavour of software features compared to iPhone). A new iPod touch would be nice to be even thinner with A8 chip and 4.7" Retina HD display).
    iCloud works quite well currently, but I want it to work even better. I hope users can gain more control on what they want to sync and when to sync. A sync and push button within each iCloud apps, telling when was it last synced, along with options of syncing which content would be nice. Of course, improving reliability of syncing is the higher priority task.

Long term tasks:
    Next generation Apple TV: a set top box that has a revamped user interface and experience for intuitive controls, great quantity of content available and a gaming console, home automation centre. App Store required for purchasing games and possibly first party controllers to play games, not just iPhone or iPad
    An actual Apple TV with at least 2 display sizes (maybe 40" and 50") running some sort of resolution like 6K and 8K respectively, with all the software features of the set top box built right into the panel.
    Work that lives with the promise of their love in music: iTunes purchases becomes loseless format audio, cheaper 1080p video content and even 4K content. Otherwise subscription service needs to be competitive with great interface and features (honestly Spotify does take the crown here; if most users just want some sound in their ears, then do so in the easiest way. If some users believes in owning the content, then offer them the best that are available); sophisticated music controls in music app for the music enthusiasts like EQ and FXs.
    Further push to education and business through app quality, quantity. I know they are doing this but stronger marketing is needed to push this even further.
    Possibly an all in one solution for home automation now that they are into HomeKit (i.e. They partner with someone to make Apple certified home automation hardware, and Apple themselves enhance the software features through next generation Apple TV as well as iOS devices)

This is quite a long list of stuff that I thought of. I hope you guys take some time to read my suggestions and discuss about this.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,675member
    I have an original iPad Mini and it works well enough to read comic books and watch the occasional movie or browse the web. But I have family members who claim their iPad 2's have become too slow to use conveniently after they updated to iOS 8. Are they crazy or have others encountered similar problems? They feel that Apple has sabotaged their iPads for some nefarious plan to encourage them to buy new ones and it is a "money grab." This is a crazy notion to me because they should be rejoicing that an older model like that was even considered by Apple to be supported by the latest OS. And how could they think that Apple would see intentionally making their products less useful as a way to encourage anybody to continue buying their products? But how could one ever convince someone suffering from such faulty logic to not jump ship and purchase an Android tablet?

My spouse has used my old iPad 2 every single day for over a year and it's been running iOS 8 since the first day it was available. Zero complaints. Zero.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I skipped the iPad Air but bought the iPad Air 2 because of the dramatic different YoY.

Exactly. The same reason I will go from an iPhone 5S to 6S.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

One link doesn't mean it's rare. I'm pretty sure people don't write stories about Apple ads in YouTube. This is just to show you Apple has advertised on YouTube before. No heat.

Perhaps, but I was never one for coincidence

• Reply 65 of 78
    dewme wrote: »
    My spouse has used my old iPad 2 every single day for over a year and it's been running iOS 8 since the first day it was available. Zero complaints. Zero.

This is what I suspected. ????
  • Reply 66 of 78
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    Even if Apple releases an "iPad Pro" I don't see it making a huge difference in their profits. It'll appeal to designers, artists and some education and business uses, but it'll probably be heavier and more expensive than the Air, limiting appeal for many consumers (Not to say it wouldn't sell millions of units). Personally as a shareholder I don't care if iPads are hugely profitable. If people are buying more expensive iPhones instead its all good for AAPL.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFire1 View Post

Actually, the iPhone 6 Plus has several advantages over the iPad. For starters, it fits in pants pockets. Second, the size of the screen negates the need for any sized iPad for many people, myself included, which is why I sold my Air. Third, why carry two devices when one can do it all. Furthermore, with the upcoming razor thin fan less12" MacBook Air with Retina Display due out this quarter, which can meet the needs of virtually everyone, why buy an iPad at all? My guess is that the iPad will be relegated to educational and business models, used in the classroom, by physicians in hospitals, on the back seats of airplanes, etc. For consumers, the newness factor has worn off, and the "must have" reaction is in the rearview mirror.

"Furthermore, with the upcoming razor thin fan less12" MacBook Air with Retina Display due out this quarter, which can meet the needs of virtually everyone, why buy an iPad at all?"

Because not every Apple user needs or wants the power of OSX or a laptop for that matter.  Given the amount of iOS devices Apple sells, there seem to be many more users who prefer the simplicity and the touch interface of iOS.  For these users, a laptop with a "full" OS is overkill.

• Reply 68 of 78
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    bluefire1 wrote: »

Actually, the iPhone 6 Plus has several advantages over the iPad. For starters, it fits in pants pockets. Second, the size of the screen negates the need for any sized iPad for many people, myself included, which is why I sold my Air. Third, why carry two devices when one can do it all. Furthermore, with the upcoming razor thin fan less12" MacBook Air with Retina Display due out this quarter, which can meet the needs of virtually everyone, why buy an iPad at all? My guess is that the iPad will be relegated to educational and business models, used in the classroom, by physicians in hospitals, on the back seats of airplanes, etc. For consumers, the newness factor has worn off, and the "must have" reaction is in the rearview mirror.

I can squeeze an iPad mini into most of my jeans too. That doesn't mean it's comfortable or a good idea. Especially if you're a woman who tend not to have pants with pockets.

Who wants two devices instead of one? How about somebody who doesn't want to spend twice as much on a compromised device, when he can have a smaller iPhone that can be used with one hand, as well as an iPad Mini that has a bigger and better screen.
    There still is a difference between 5.5 and 7,9 inches.

The advantage of using one device instead of two is marginal if there at all, when the extra device is less than a cm thick, weighs less than 500 grams and can fit in your coat pocket.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Quote:

... Second, the size of the screen negates the need for any sized iPad for many people, myself included, which is why I sold my Air. Third, why carry two devices when one can do it all.

Because, at the moment, there are some superb apps which only run on iPad and may stay there. Scape is one and most (all?) of the Touchpress titles. This may change, it may not.

• Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:

Furthermore, with the upcoming razor thin fan less12" MacBook Air with Retina Display due out this quarter, which can meet the needs of virtually everyone, why buy an iPad at all?

Perhaps because there is no 12" MacBook Air due out this quarter, or did I miss Apple's announcement?

That is not to say that there won't be, but Apple have not stated or, as far as I'm aware, even hinted at such a Mac. The rumour mill of course is in full swing and they may be right but there is a huge difference between Apple announcing that ?Watch is due in April and the rumour mongers saying a 12" MacBook Air is just around the corner.

• Reply 71 of 78
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member

My iPad is the most used device I own. More than my iPhone 6 and certainly more than my computer. I am saving my nickels to replace my iPad2 which worked fine until iOS8. I've had it almost 5 years and can not complain at all. My only regret was updating to iOS8. They should have left iPad2 off the iOS8 upgrade and ended it at iOS7.

• Reply 72 of 78
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

This is what I suspected. ????

Personally, I wouldn't update an iPad 2... My dad updated his, and while the slowdown and overall snappiness is noticeable at times, its not a deal breaker or that bad really.

What is a deal breaker however, and what makes it unusable is the browser problems in iOS 8. I don't notice it very often on an iPhone, but on the ipad2, the browser crashes and reloads a page several times a day. Its enough to make some websites unreadable on the iPad, and almost every time he browses, it'll happen without much warning.

Not sure if its 100% a software issue or 100% a hardware issue. Most likely an existing iOS8 bug that gets exacerbated by the hardware and low RAM in the iPad 2. I just know, that many others have reported this, and it seems much worse on the iPad 2 than on iPhones.

If you primarily use an iPad 2 for browsing, I personally wouldn't update to iOS 8. If not, go ahead!

• Reply 73 of 78
    v900 wrote: »

Personally, I wouldn't update an iPad 2... My dad updated his, and while the slowdown and overall snappiness is noticeable at times, its not a deal breaker or that bad really.

What is a deal breaker however, and what makes it unusable is the browser problems in iOS 8. I don't notice it very often on an iPhone, but on the ipad2, the browser crashes and reloads a page several times a day. Its enough to make some websites unreadable on the iPad, and almost every time he browses, it'll happen without much warning.

Not sure if its 100% a software issue or 100% a hardware issue. Most likely an existing iOS8 bug that gets exacerbated by the hardware and low RAM in the iPad 2. I just know, that many others have reported this, and it seems much worse on the iPad 2 than on iPhones.

If you primarily use an iPad 2 for browsing, I personally wouldn't update to iOS 8. If not, go ahead!

Hmmmm, interesting... Thank you.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

My iPad is the most used device I own. More than my iPhone 6 and certainly more than my computer. I am saving my nickels to replace my iPad2 which worked fine until iOS8. I've had it almost 5 years and can not complain at all. My only regret was updating to iOS8. They should have left iPad2 off the iOS8 upgrade and ended it at iOS7.

"They should have left iPad2 off the iOS8 upgrade and ended it at iOS7."

Agreed. I even think Apple should've left the iPhone 4S off the list as well.  I'll even go as far as to say that Apple should make iOS 9 64-bit only.  And yes, I do realize they're still selling the iPhone 5c and non-retina iPad mini.

• Reply 75 of 78
    iPad still the best tablet on the market. People will eventually upgrade. No worries for Apple at all.

21 million sold is what other companies are dreaming to sell on phones alone. Can't compete.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    mike1 wrote: »

I went from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air 2.

Amazing difference! The speed is a joy, as is the lightness.

Hope you save enough pennies soon.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    It is important to note that Apple was selling a new computing platform when it started selling iPads. Looking through the sales numbers more than likely reflect the typical technology adoption rate. [URL=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NOgoWlhXvP0/TkYFf_zBrqI/AAAAAAAAASI/1i7Fic1Gzas/s640/technology-adoption-curve.png]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NOgoWlhXvP0/TkYFf_zBrqI/AAAAAAAAASI/1i7Fic1Gzas/s640/technology-adoption-curve.png[/URL]

Assuming that Apple would continue with increasing growth ignores that the market is pretty saturated for what is still somewhat of a luxury device. That said, now that the market is mature, Apple will continue to see sales from people upgrading their devices but at a longer interval.

Phones on the other hand, are now a necessity (and that doesn't even account for the loss and damage replacement of a portable device that goes everywhere) so people continue to buy them over and over with a shorter refresh rate.

It is important to continue to innovate for phones because of the competition and refresh rate. Now that the tablet is a mature market that is closer to saturation and because they are more complicated devices that require higher development costs, not only will sales slow down but innovation will also be stretched out as Apple tries to balance R&D costs with market potential.