Samsung's mobile profits plunge 64.2% after Apple's iPhone 6 devastates premium Galaxy sales

Comments

• Reply 20 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I'm convinced you live waiting for every DED article to post a negative comment about it.
    A lot of people around here love ripping DED's articles apart. I love his pieces, smiling all the way through'em.

But back to Samsung - that really must sting. :-)
  • Reply 22 of 145
    pistispistis Posts: 247member

This is what happens when you spend billions on Lies, ahem I mean "advertising budget" instead of R&D like Apple. Now Samesong is freaking out and going to have to buy up companies but seriously  -> BBRY? That will cost em $8B at least. They don't have much money to waste any more, maybe that is why the BBRY deal fell thru.

• Reply 23 of 145

ALL:

Samsung is not a bad company, in fact, it is a very successful CE company.  They are also friend-enemies of Apple, making some of the key components of the iPhone- a strange relationship I should think.  It may be that both the profits and problems facing Samsung in producing a finished smartphone on which it makes a very marginal profit, is not worth the efforts anymore.  Samsung can very easily withdraw from being a  smartphone finished product provider and instead stay in the game by making many of the item components for Apple's and other's smartphones.  Also, Samsung is gearing up for the upcoming new standard in HDTV, the 4K system, so it has plenty of work to keep itself occupied.

• Reply 24 of 145
    Nothing surprising...as expected.

Expect more quarterly declines ahead.

To help Samsung out, I would like to urge Samsung users to stick with Samsung and not switch to iPhone. As it is, it is getting very difficult to get new iPhone set during launch period and supply could hardly catch up even after a few months!
  • Reply 25 of 145

Where are all those samsung defenders who said Samsung was going to kill off Apple?   They also laughed at us couple of years ago when we said Samsung was going to be another Nokia/Blackberry.    Well, Samsung's trajectory looks very much like those other companies.  

• Reply 26 of 145

At least 2 1/2 years ago I was saying that all Apple had to do was build a bigger phone and they'd bury Samsung. One of the bigger Android trolls (possibly the guy who bought 3 of everything) replied that Apple fans had been saying that year after year after year with Samsung and Android only getting bigger and bigger.

I told him that the day was coming very soon. Get larger iPhones out to the world and people would no longer have any compelling reason to stay with Android. I've always said, "It's the OS, stupid."

Oh where oh where is that guy now...

• Reply 27 of 145
    At least 2 1/2 years ago I was saying that all Apple had to do was build a bigger phone and they'd bury Samsung. One of the bigger Android trolls (possibly the guy who bought 3 of everything) replied that Apple fans had been saying that year after year after year with Samsung and Android only getting bigger and bigger.

I told him that the day was coming very soon. Get larger iPhones out to the world and people would no longer have any compelling reason to stay with Android. I've always said, "It's the OS, stupid."

Oh where oh where is that guy now...

Most likely juggling his multiple Samsung BOGO's at Venice Beach, trying to make a living.
  • Reply 28 of 145
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Lets see here...

Their mobile devision made 1.8B in profit.

They owe Appe 1B

That leaves them with .8B

Oh! and take away the .8B they owe Microsoft in licensing.....

*typewriter clicks*

That leaves them with....
  • Reply 29 of 145
    Specific to the March quarter, Samsung set expectations low, warning, "expect decrease in smartphone and tablet demand under weak seasonality" and said it aimed to "strive to improve earnings with smartphone shipments growth due to the expansion of A series [middle tier phones], etc."

So, Samsung uses the "weak seasonality" excuse to explain why the next quarter will suck like the one just reported... What will they blame it on when Apple has another banner quarter in three months from now?? Apple's counting on the Chinese New Year for another big bump, while Samsung is looking to middling middle tier phones to keep the next quarter from being a total zero. It looks to me like they have just conceded the top tier to Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 145

I bet Samsung (and other Android players) will have difficulty matching Apple's fingerprint ID technology since Apple wisely purchased AuthenTec which probably has all of the best patents tied up.  They may also be having trouble converting to 64-bit technology as well.  This won't help Samsung and other Android vendors in their need to try to catch up with Apple Pay when "mandated" pin and chip (and NFC) readers need to be installed in the US by this coming September.  What Apple really needs now is some kind of push to get many more retailers (hello Chipolte!) and more online merchants to sign up!

• Reply 31 of 145
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    Scam Stung
  • Reply 32 of 145
    I'm convinced you live waiting for every DED article to post a negative comment about it.
    What was negative about what I said?
  • Reply 33 of 145
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    So, Samsung uses the "weak seasonality" excuse to explain why the next quarter will suck like the one just reported... What will they blame it on when Apple has another banner quarter in three months from now?? Apple's counting on the Chinese New Year for another big bump, while Samsung is looking to middling middle tier phones to keep the next quarter from being a total zero. It looks to me like they have just conceded the top tier to Apple.

Well the headlines are saying that "Samsung beats expectation".
    So they're doing great!!

I wouldn't worry at all!!
  • Reply 34 of 145
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member

Android OEM's are now circling the drain, lack of differentiation having sucked the profits out from under them. Will it be an extinction level event?

Probably not, or yet anyway, but Xiaomi has certainly set a profit floor so low as to give the OEM's little to work with. The question I have is what will the Android world look like a year or two years down the road without profitable OEM's?

Looks like chaos to me...

• Reply 35 of 145
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    <<jaw drops, points and laughs>>
  • Reply 36 of 145
    One more thing: cue the articles stating this is bad for Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    I'm not sure why so many people take such great delight in the failures of Apple' s competitors. Competition is good for the consumer in this case.

I hope Samsung, Microsoft, et al, all keep innovating and making great products. This will force Apple to do the same. And, perhaps lower their prices.
  • Reply 38 of 145
    tiger2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why so many people take such great delight in the failures of Apple' s competitors. Competition is good for the consumer in this case.

I hope Samsung, Microsoft, et al, all keep innovating and making great products. This will force Apple to do the same. And, perhaps lower their prices.

Samsung? innovate? Haha. Apple marches to the beat of its own drum.

Most of us are fine with competition. We just hate obvious thieves.
  • Reply 39 of 145
    IMHO, the obsessive Samsung bashing comes across as quite puerile.

I just look for the author on any anti-Samsung article as DED and then I back out. His editor should find a leash and put it on him because it lowers the tone of a half-decent website. A short leash.
  • Reply 40 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiger2 View Post

When did ever Samsung et all keep innovating and make great products?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Samsung? innovate? Haha. Apple marches to the beat of its own drum.

Most of us are fine with competition. We just hate obvious thieves.

Exactly. Competition is always very sane as long as it's fueled by the right principles (create a product the best you can, enough so to make human life better). When one company starts ripping off another company for ideas, designs, innovations and even price strategies then how is that competition?