Microsoft Outlook debuts as free download for iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
Microsoft on Thursday released its long-awaited Outlook client for iOS, giving both iPhone and iPad owners the ability to access a unified view of email calendar, contacts, and attachments.

The new Microsoft Outlook for iOS is a free 22.5-megabyte download on the App Store. It works with Microsoft Exchange, Office 365, Outlook.com, iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail.

Outlook for iOS automatically surfaces users' most important messages across all their email accounts. Users can swipe to quickly delete, archive, or schedule messages they want to handle later.

The software also offers an easy view of calendar, and gives users the ability to share available times and schedule meetings. Files can also be attached from email, OneDrive, or Dropbox.

The full list of features in Outlook for iOS, according to Microsoft, are:
  • Manage your inbox
    • Outlook automatically triages your inbox for you, surfacing your most important email. Less relevant email is placed in your "Other" inbox.
    • Swipe to quickly delete, archive, or schedule messages.
    • Schedule emails and they will return to your inbox at a later time.
  • Your calendar built-in
    • Switching between your email and calendar apps is a thing of the past. Outlook includes your calendar and notifies you with appointment reminders.
    • Find available meeting times and share them in email or schedule a meeting.

• Attachments made easy
    • View and attach any file from your email, OneDrive, Dropbox, and other accounts with just a few taps.
    • Send large files even if you haven't downloaded them to your phone.
  • Find anything fast
    • Filter your inbox to only show messages that are unread, flagged, or have attachments, with a single tap.
    • Quickly find the right messages, people and files by typing just a few letters.
    • Outlook shows people you communicate with most often, and lets you conveniently drill down to see all related emails, meetings and files.
Outlook for iPhone and iPad requires iOS 8.0 and above. The app replaces Outlook Web Access for iPhone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55

Windows Everywhere [shudder]

• Reply 2 of 55
    I'll pass.
  • Reply 3 of 55

Might as well bring it to other platforms. Windows Phone is pretty much dead. 

• Reply 4 of 55
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggg outlook, I am forced to use THAT dog at work, no way it going anywhere near my phone. Skype is bad enough now that MS changed it from peer to peer to run on their servers but this frack NO NO NO
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Windows Everywhere [shudder]

Microsoft's stuff is generally pretty good, honestly. At least their push mail works, unlike Google.

• Reply 6 of 55
    Awesome... Now all I need is Project.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Might as well bring it to other platforms. Windows Phone is pretty much dead. 

Actually Windows phone gained share but still in single digits where it belongs

• Reply 8 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I downloaded it and tried logging in to my iCloud account but kept getting an error message so I deleted it.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggg outlook, I am forced to use THAT dog at work, no way it going anywhere near my phone. Skype is bad enough now that MS changed it from peer to peer to run on their servers but this frack NO NO NO

You have to admit the latest Skype user interface on an iPhone is not frustrating and confusing at all. /s

• Reply 10 of 55
    This is basically just the Acompli client that they acquired just before christmas, just rebranded as a Microsoft product. It still has the same security flaws that Acompli had... e.g. not enforcing a PIN on the device when that policy is set on Exchange, etc.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Microsoft's stuff is generally pretty good, honestly. At least their push mail works, unlike Google.

As someone who makes a living testing products built off their infrastructure (SQL Server, SharePoint, etc.), and who uses Outlook on a daily basis, I want as few Microsoft elements (and their obtuse approach) touching my Apple products as possible.  YMMV.

• Reply 12 of 55

Like Microsoft or not, Outlook seems to actually work quite well on the iPad.  

• Reply 13 of 55
    This mustn't have been let loose in the UK yet. Does look interesting though.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    I just assisted a client in migrating off of exchange server. They still want to use IMAPped outlook instead of web based email. Ugh...

Each email user had hundreds of email folders and sub folders.

The internal "OST" file was 3-5 GB on average.

I'll be curious (in that I would never use or recommend iOS Outlook) to see how well this new app will work / scale with a user such as I dealt with, but on a 16GB iThing...
  • Reply 15 of 55

I dislike everything MS...but I do like the concept of Outlook. That is to say, having email, To Do list, Contacts and Calendar all in one app sounds the way to go. Just, as usual, MS struggles on the implementation and produces and inelegant program.

I find Apple's approach of Email and Notes, Contacts separate from iCal (with it's own notes) a bit fragmented. I hardly open iCal and I never use it's Notes.

Best. 

• Reply 16 of 55
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Shame there is no support for IMAP email accounts. Hope it's added soon.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    saarek wrote: »
    Shame there is no support for IMAP email accounts. Hope it's added soon.

It's not got iMAP? Seriously? There there must be some alternative technology for sharing synchronized access to an account across devices then?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    It's not got iMAP? Seriously? There there must be some alternative technology for sharing synchronized access to an account across devices then?

...the golden handcuffs known as "exchange server"?

No IMAP? Way to go MS! Obviously, this app is for the suits that won't give up MS IT infrastructure but won't buy a Surface Pro because the cool kids would laugh at them.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Let's see, one of the NUMBER 1 requested features was to bring the ability to add Shared Mailboxes on Office / Exchange 365 accounts onto iOS devices, because even though OWA could do it, that was a joke of an app.

Now, almost 2 years after the first requests started flooding in on Microsoft's support forums, they release a proper e-mail app, with less functionality and features than the iOS built-in app, and STILL NO SHARED MAILBOX SUPPORT?!

Yeah, Microsoft, you've just proven your developers can't do a competent job, and your management is comprised of Chimps... I'm done with you, and guess what, NOT renewing my E365 subscription this year!
  • Reply 20 of 55
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xixo View Post

...the golden handcuffs known as "exchange server"?

No IMAP? Way to go MS! Obviously, this app is for the suits that won't give up MS IT infrastructure but won't buy a Surface Pro because the cool kids would laugh at them.

The app does support iCloud, which is the only type of account that Mac users will want to use since it comes from Apple.