Apple, Samsung now tied for the title of world's largest smartphone maker

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

you're moving the goalposts. Samsung hires Foxconn as well. and numerous, numerous retail and grocery items are made by contract manufacturers and packers, not to mention IT contractors for fortune 100 firms. but it's built to the brand's spec and plan, so they get the credit and the blame.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to be critical, it was just an off-the-cuff remark, like the bantering I would do with my friends. One of them is an architect and he jokes about how he would never imagine *making* a building - he designs them and lets the construction workers do the dirty stuff! Plus, most physical products say "Made in China" on the back, even though the companies that designed them might be Japanese like Sony or Nintendo, or in this case American like Apple. Anyway, I concede the point that designers take the credit and blame and assemblers just... well, assemble.

• Reply 42 of 73
    I totally agree. Why waste time and effort trying to break into iOS when Android is wide open for an easy exploit. After several decades on the market MS WIndows is still easier to break into then OSX, I expect Android to continue to be much the same 20 years from now (if they are even still around).

One time a reporter asked a major criminal why he keeps breaking into banks. He answered, "Because that's where the money is." Yet there's more money in Fort Knox and no one has yet tried to break in... because it would be just too hard to pull it off. So, it's not primarily the money, it's the ease of getting in and out with the loot.

Wow, what a fantastic metaphor. I have never really thought of it they way before. ????
  • Reply 43 of 73
    lkrupp wrote: »

The big difference is that iOS is part of the Walled Garden. iOS users cannot get software from any source other than the App Store (jailbreaking doesn’t count because it’s stupid). So malware would have to get through the testing and validation gauntlet of the App Store’s curators. I am unaware of any malware that has accomplished this. All the reports of malware for iOS so far indicate they only infect jailbroken iOS devices. The iOS jailbreakers are a tiny minority and deserve whatever they get. They deserve no sympathy and no consideration from Apple in terms of protecting them. They are anathema to Apple so let the bad guys attack them all they want.

Big points there for the "anathema" reference. I had to look it up, but it makes a lot of sense. Added to vocabulary, thanks!
  • Reply 44 of 73
    dabedabe Posts: 99member

Technically, Apple only *designs* smartphones, doesn't it? I'm not aware that Apple owns the plants, so that would mean Foxconn is the largest smartphone *maker*, wouldn't it?

Technically speaking, manufacturing is only one aspect of "making," which means that Foxconn is just one component of the assembly line that comprises Apple's process of making.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    How long before Android geeks in the Justice Department comes after Apple for monopolistic practices?
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

You know, this is one of the most succinct, insightful and profound analysis I've read here in weeks. (Sincerely!) You are absolutely correct. 

Pretty sure Tim Cook et. al. came to this conclusion some time ago. It's kind of thrilling.

Tim Cook, J. Ive  et al. have said this, more or less. That they don't worry about profits, they just worry about making great products. The profits will follow.

• Reply 47 of 73
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    So I would like to know how they can even track Samsung phone sales when they don't give out any information about sales? Shipping phones and selling them are two quite very different things.

Apple designs the phones and hires Foxconn and others to manufacture them to Apple's specifications. Apple provides all the tools and such to go into those manufacturing plants to build the products. This happens with all company products, not just Apple's. You won't see a Dell or HP manufacturing plant either. Apple's engineering teams put example's together in a small scale to test manufacturing and then hand that over to companies like Foxconn for full scale mass assembly.
  • Reply 48 of 73

I would still like to know where they get their 182.3 million "Other" phones from.  I really believe they just pull that number out of their butts to make the percentages work how they want them to.

• Reply 49 of 73

Tim Cook, J. Ive  et al. have said this, more or less. That they don't worry about profits, they just worry about making great products. The profits will follow.
    As you imply, this has been an Apple mantra for decades. Now it's even sweeter when they don't have to worry about profits because they can roll it into logs and heat the new building with it. And still not make a dent in the pile. Reminds me of the old Scrooge McDuck comics where he has a vault the size of a building filled with cash that he can roll in. (As long as the Beagle Brothers don't tunnel in to steal it!)
  • Reply 50 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

16GB storage and 1GB RAM devices would like to have a word with them. Or Cook at least as Ive is probably not involved in those decisions.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I saw on Twitter that apparently Samsung is removing the bloat from Touchwiz (whatever that means). My question is, are average consumers not buying Samsung phones because of Touchwiz bloat or is that just something geeks and tech site writers obsess about?
  • Reply 52 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    except they haven’t gone away from the 4" screen.
    They simply added 4.7" & 5.5” screens.

Except that the 4"screen has old tech. People complaining about there not being a 4" screen mean a updated one not the old one.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I saw on Twitter that apparently Samsung is removing the bloat from Touchwiz (whatever that means). My question is, are average consumers not buying Samsung phones because of Touchwiz bloat or is that just something geeks and tech site writers obsess about?

I'm guessing that they mean the redundant apps.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    BAM
    how many Samsung with android 2.3
    So they are equal but apple makes the money
    Samsung is so last 3 years
    Calling samdung tied w apple for what .... Nothing Samsung is t worth investing In
    How many anal- ysts tell to buy Samsung
    Junk volume
    Nonsense the market has spoken
    Next will see s5 in cereal boxes
  • Reply 55 of 73

*deleted*

• Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by darylayala View Post

Apple is at a point where they dont have to worry about getting profits. The just have to continue making great products.

Why can't they do both?

• Reply 57 of 73
    Do you want to spy someone's Samsung phone? 1TopSpy is easy and convenient to set up for mobile phone spying and tracking on samsung phone. An account is registered online and the software is installed to the user phone through the web browser. Login is then made from the 1TopSpy platform, to which all monitoring information is directed. It is important to specify the internet connection for uploading data on the phone itself during set-up. Once set-up, all recorded data can be accessed from anywhere with an Internet browser.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Next will see s5 in cereal boxes

I was surprised that you could buy-one-get-one-free for the S5 right after it was introduced (April 2014).

http://bgr.com/2014/04/04/galaxy-s5-free-verizon/

Makes you wonder about the S6...

• Reply 59 of 73
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

True story from this morning: I was with 2 collagues and the subject of health tracking came up. I asked one who had an iPhone if she was getting an Apple Watch. "Probably not. Seems a little expensive, but I'll need to see." The other said "All I can afford is this crappy Samsung phone..."

• Reply 60 of 73
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Technically, Apple only *designs* smartphones, doesn't it? I'm not aware that Apple owns the plants, so that would mean Foxconn is the largest smartphone *maker*, wouldn't it?

Well job guess you could say the same thing about most all Android phones also. In fact misty electronics including the Xbox and the PlayStation!!!