Microsoft Outlook debuts as free download for iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55

Weird. This is just Accompli with a new name.

Edit: It's not weird. https://www.acompli.com/

• Reply 22 of 55
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

As someone who makes a living testing products built off their infrastructure (SQL Server, SharePoint, etc.), and who uses Outlook on a daily basis, I want as few Microsoft elements (and their obtuse approach) touching my Apple products as possible.  YMMV.

Instead of complaining about Microsoft, how about asking Apple to make their own software work better?  Mail on OS X still can't access server based rules on Exchange accounts.  And why does the Calendar in iOS still show old meeting invitations when I have already accepted them in Outlook?

• Reply 23 of 55
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Let's see, one of the NUMBER 1 requested features was to bring the ability to add Shared Mailboxes on Office / Exchange 365 accounts onto iOS devices, because even though OWA could do it, that was a joke of an app.

Now, almost 2 years after the first requests started flooding in on Microsoft's support forums, they release a proper e-mail app, with less functionality and features than the iOS built-in app, and STILL NO SHARED MAILBOX SUPPORT?!

Yeah, Microsoft, you've just proven your developers can't do a competent job, and your management is comprised of Chimps... I'm done with you, and guess what, NOT renewing my E365 subscription this year!

I can't believe this.  A Mac user complaining about actual functionality?  It seemed that Mac users only complained about pretty icons and color palettes when it comes to Microsoft applications.  At least that's how it was for Office, which is one reason why Outlook for Mac is so crippled in functionality compared to the Windows version.

• Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Might as well bring it to other platforms. Windows Phone is pretty much dead. 

Actually I love my Windows Phone. It's nothing compared to my iPhone 6 Plus but compared to the Android phones work had given me Windows Phones are fantastic.

More developers should get on board because it's a better deal for them than Android.

• Reply 25 of 55
    No IMAP support. That was one of the shortest app appraisals ever.
  • Reply 26 of 55

I found this app very good. Conversation view is nice. Calendar integration and the possibility to attach files from dropbox is a plus. Positively surprised. Better than the native Mail app.

• Reply 27 of 55
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    I have a windows phone, (supplied by and for work). There isn't a single office app, be it mail, calendar, Word, Lync etc etc that is better on Windows Phone than on iOS, especially now we have proper Outlook. Weird situation. It won't even connect to our corporate certificate based wifi, unlike my iPhone. Makes you wonder how long Win Mobile has left, if they can't prioritise it to be the platform of choice for their own apps.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

...the golden handcuffs known as "exchange server"?

No IMAP? Way to go MS! Obviously, this app is for the suits that won't give up MS IT infrastructure but won't buy a Surface Pro because the cool kids would laugh at them.

I'm pretty sure iCloud email isn't running on Exchange server. So if it doesn't support IMAP, how is it connecting to iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo mail?

I can't get to iTunes right now to verify what the description says Outlook is actually supporting, but just because the AI article didn't list IMAP I wouldn't automatically assume it doesn't support it.

• Reply 29 of 55
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    I think the main reason to use this would be if you wanted to access your employer's Exchange-based email. (If you didn't already have Good for Enterprise or some other secure means of accessing it already.)
  • Reply 30 of 55
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    xixo wrote: »
    It's not got iMAP? Seriously? There there must be some alternative technology for sharing synchronized access to an account across devices then?

...the golden handcuffs known as "exchange server"?

No IMAP? Way to go MS! Obviously, this app is for the suits that won't give up MS IT infrastructure but won't buy a Surface Pro because the cool kids would laugh at them.
    In my workplace the it crowd are busy adding restrictions to the iOS profile that leaves ipDs and iPhones more and more crippled. Strangely enough, while you can't access iCloud, one drive has full access on surface pros. The head of it is upfront about wanting to shift everyone to surface for mobile.
  • Reply 31 of 55

No one's going to download this for their own personal use. This app exists for enterprise Exchange setups, and will help Apple achieve greater business penetration as they have been striving to do.

• Reply 32 of 55

Holy crap, this is a great app. Connected my company's Exchange server, as well as my personal Gmail and iCloud accounts successfully, and the interface is very gorgeous and intuitive. 

Kudos, Microsoft. 

• Reply 33 of 55
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Instead of complaining about Microsoft, how about asking Apple to make their own software work better?  Mail on OS X still can't access server based rules on Exchange accounts.  And why does the Calendar in iOS still show old meeting invitations when I have already accepted them in Outlook?

You have to be kidding "tongue in cheek" don't you ?

Anyway, I suggest you ask your friend M$.

• Reply 34 of 55
    "As someone who makes a living testing products built off their infrastructure (SQL Server, SharePoint, etc.), and who uses Outlook on a daily basis, I want as few Microsoft elements (and their obtuse approach) touching my Apple products as possible. YMMV."

I have a very similar job, and can't agree more!
  • Reply 35 of 55
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

The app does support iCloud, which is the only type of account that Mac users will want to use since it comes from Apple.

Obviously you are in M$ sales.

Nope this Mac user doesn't use iCloud for Emails, I'm too private and secure for that.

Have been using iMap for many years, long before I got my iPhone 4 years ago.

I expect this iOS Outlook may appeal to some M$ centered companies, but I doubt individuals will bother with it.

It's another example of M$ not understanding personal tech users.

Perhaps they are interested in supporting Apple's iDevices,

before their competing(?)  devices die and M¢ are left out of todays growing technology.

• Reply 36 of 55
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    haggar wrote: »

I can't believe this.  A Mac user complaining about actual functionality?  It seemed that Mac users only complained about pretty icons and color palettes when it comes to Microsoft applications.  At least that's how it was for Office, which is one reason why Outlook for Mac is so crippled in functionality compared to the Windows version.
    I'm trying to determine if you were just being sarcastic, or if you are trolling me and Apple users... :err:
  • Reply 37 of 55
    haggar wrote: »

OK, now I know you're trolling here... :no:
  • Reply 38 of 55
    entropys wrote: »
    In my workplace the it crowd are busy adding restrictions to the iOS profile that leaves ipDs and iPhones more and more crippled. Strangely enough, while you can't access iCloud, one drive has full access on surface pros. The head of it is upfront about wanting to shift everyone to surface for mobile.
    Sounds like one of those MS fanboy snobs from the 90's and early 2000's that can't see past the spoon fed junk called Microsoft Software...
  • Reply 39 of 55
    moracmorac Posts: 22member

Read the Privacy Policy for the Outlook app very carefully before you decide to use it.

https://www.acompli.com/privacy-policy/

Microsoft stores the account info of any account you add to the app on their servers.  For accounts like GMail, it stores an OAuth token, but for accounts like Yahoo and Exchange, it's storing actually email and passwords.

It also stores mail, calendar and contact data on their servers for all accounts.  This is used to provide push notifications for Mail and Calendars since iOS doesn't allow polling in the background.

I don't think I trust Microsoft to: a) not use this data and b) protect the data from hackers.

Even if you do trust Microsoft, it's highly unlikely your company's security policy would allow storing company mail and access credentials on Microsoft's servers.

• Reply 40 of 55
    dm44dm44 Posts: 2member
    I just checked out the Privacy Policy in the app, depending on what email account type you use with the app/service, they (Microsoft) collect your username, password, server URL, and server domain. They also index your emails using their "service" ... I'm out, my employer would never allow Microsoft to have that info. How many of you just skipped past that? :)