More Android-to-iPhone switchers coming from international markets - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
Apple revealed this week that the launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus attracted more Android users than ever before. But new data suggests that the rate of Android switchers in the U.S. was steady last quarter, implying that international users are the ones who made the jump to iPhone in record numbers.

New data published by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners on Thursday shows that 19 percent of U.S. iPhone customers reported switching from an Android phone last quarter. That's squarely in the 16-to-26-percent range of Android switchers tracked over the last 10 quarters in America.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed this week that the debut of the larger iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus resulted in the highest Android switcher rate of any of the past three years.

CIRP hypothesizes that most Android switchers are coming from emerging international markets where the smartphone space is still seeing significant growth. In mature markets like the U.S., the research firm has seen that an increasing share of buyers are repeat iPhone customers.

CIRP's surveys show the U.S. switch rate for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus was up from last year's iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c debut. But it was about the same as in 2012, when the company debuted the iPhone 5.

CIRP's data is based on quarterly surveys of U.S. Apple customers conducted since 2012. Each survey covers 500 customers that purchased an iPhone, iPad or Mac in the U.S.

As iPhone growth has continued at astonishing rates, international sales of Apple's handset have become the focal point of the company's continued success. Notably, Apple earned a huge $16.1 billion from Greater China last quarter, almost surpassing revenue from Europe.

In total, Apple earned a record smashing $74.6 billion in revenue in its first quarter of fiscal 2015. With blockbuster sales of 74.5 million iPhones in the three-month frame, Apple sold its one-billionth iOS device during the quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Why does the title say "iPhone-to-Android" when it's the other way around?
  • Reply 2 of 35
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    If this trend continues every quarter soon there will be more iPhone users. But I wonder how Apple will keep up with demand?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

really impressive upsurge by the Windows phone, there...    /s

• Reply 4 of 35
    cali wrote: »
    If this trend continues every quarter soon there will be more iPhone users. But I wonder how Apple will keep up with demand?

Easy. Soon, every job will be directly or tangentially connected to Apple, since it's nearly the only thing actually growing in our economy.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Not so fast.  The article only talks about Android to IPhone switchers.  No figures are given about the IPhone to Andorid switchers.  I am sure that with the launch of the iPhone 6 the first group was bigger in Q4 than the latter, but there is no indication that is a remaining trend for the years to come.

• Reply 6 of 35
    cropr wrote: »

Not so fast.  The article only talks about Android to IPhone switchers.  No figures are given about the IPhone to Andorid switchers.  I am sure that with the launch of the iPhone 6 the first group was bigger in Q4 than the latter, but there is no indication that is a remaining trend for the years to come.

As far as we know iPhone to Android switchers have always been a fraction of the opposite.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Easy. Soon, every job will be directly or tangentially connected to Apple, since it's nearly the only thing actually growing in our economy.

exception might be Weed production, and up until recently fracking, and of course the national debt

• Reply 8 of 35
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

People switch to Android really! well there must be some fools born every minute 

• Reply 9 of 35
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    After I bought an iPhone 6+, I sold my iPhone 5 on Craigslist to an android user who couldn't wait to get rid of their old phone.

Since these market research companies don't take into account sales of used handsets (potentially a billion iOS devices and counting), this more affordable means of acquiring an Apple mobile device is completely off their radar.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    exception might be Weed production, and up until recently fracking, and of course the national debt

I bet there's an app for that.... Growing weed that is.

Unless the walled garden doesn't allow for growing weed...
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

I bet there's an app for that.... Growing weed that is.

Unless the walled garden doesn't allow for growing weed...

You mean something like "Plants & Zombies"?

• Reply 12 of 35
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

As far as we know iPhone to Android switchers have always been a fraction of the opposite.

Maybe none. I don't see the reason that an iPhone owner switched to Android when 6/6+ came out. There's nothing from Android that users wanted to switch beside the large screen.

• Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

What I find interesting about this graph is the upticks in Android to iPhone switchers in June of 2013 and 2014.

This is typically the quarter in which last years iPhones begin to be discounted in anticipation of the new models released in September.

It makes sense that price-sensitive consumers would wait until they can switch at a discounted price.

This summer we should see another major uptick in iPhone adoption as the iPhone 6 begins to be discounted.

• Reply 14 of 35

The main reason for US android folks have not switched to iPhone 6/6+ yet because of the 2-year contract. Many people I know will switch when their contracts end.

• Reply 15 of 35
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Maybe none. I don't see the reason that an iPhone owner switched to Android when 6/6+ came out. There's nothing from Android that users wanted to switch beside the large screen.

They exist but in small numbers.

I knew a guy who was a HUGE Apple/Steve Jobs fan. He had the first gen iPhone in 2012. I saw him last year and he had a galaxy s-something.

He works at Burger King.

It's not that android is better, it's not. Most people just can't afford the latest iPhone. To him it's what he prefers but an iPhone is a months pay off contract.

UPDATE:

Tim Cook just reported that a whopping %85 of iPhone 6 users were switchers from android.

That number is HUGE!!!

Unless %85 of iPhone users switched to android, iPhone userbase is definitely growing.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Microsoft has a real interest in Android too now. They've decided to invest in Cyanogen, one of the premier Android modders-turned-forkers. Should be fun times ahead.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

really impressive upsurge by the Windows phone, there...    /s

Looks like Blackberry may be replacing the Windows phone.

Both user groups probably just want something different than Apple's products, regardless of the functional limitations.

• Reply 18 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

The bar chart shows iPhone growth about equal to the number of android to iOS phone switchers.

• Reply 19 of 35
    cropr wrote: »

LOL. Where there's missing data, there's hope.
    Keep believing in Android my friend. :)
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

UPDATE:

Tim Cook just reported that a whopping %85 of iPhone 6 users were switchers from android.

That number is HUGE!!!

Unless %85 of iPhone users switched to android, iPhone userbase is definitely growing.

Now, that's a real slap in the face for fandroids...I can't wait to go to tech forums to see fandroids's defense. lol.