Apple's R&D spending shoots up 42% year-over-year, hit new $1.9B record in Q1

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    ALL:

R&D is indeed a very fine and necessary thing to do, especially for a high tech company. However, one must be aware that the direct correclation between R&D dollars spent and having a resultant, implementable product or process is often not high and sometimes it is even negative. In many cases and especially in today's world, R&D is often done and derived from the basic R&D work being done by other smaller companies that have stumbled onto a eureka find. Many large US firms have devoted many tens and hundreds of millions of dollars over many years to research new materials, manufacturing techniques and novel devices; some of these work and are profitable and others never see the light of day. Xerox had many great lab IT prototypes, however, it failed to bring these to market, such as Windows and the computer mouse. It also failed to hook-up copying machines to computers to make an intergrated office printing solution via the copying machines.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member

I wonder what they are researching? I think advancing the frontiers of science and engineering is one of the best things they could do with that big pile of money. Not just good for them, but for humanity too.

• Reply 23 of 32
    As there are less and less obvious new areas to bring products to like iPad etc Apple is showing that they're on the ball by upping r&d to find newer areas that are less obvious but cost more to find and develop.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    ascii wrote: »
    I wonder what they are researching? I think advancing the frontiers of science and engineering is one of the best things they could do with that big pile of money. Not just good for them, but for humanity too.

The most important parts, making things people want and in turn recommend to other people and their solid profitability are what are 'good for humanity'. They're not a charity, nor is there anything they need to do beyond make the best products in the world.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    my personal fantasy ultra long term apple R&D product would be an iRobot.

who else could pull it off better.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Originally Posted by Lolliver View Post

Hopefully they will see a breakthrough in battery technology as I can see that having the biggest impact across a wide range of their current product lineup.

http://phys.org/news/2014-07-holy-grail-battery-stable-lithium.html

Apple just needs to come up with a way to manufacture them on an industrial scale.

• Reply 27 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The most important parts, making things people want and in turn recommend to other people and their solid profitability are what are 'good for humanity'. They're not a charity, nor is there anything they need to do beyond make the best products in the world.

Definitely, they earned it fair and square, and they don't have to do anything with it other than what they want to. I just think they have a lot of smart people there, so spending it on internal research might be better than investing it in stocks or something.

• Reply 28 of 32
    I feel for Ive.

Now that he's done the iPhone and iPad, there's nothing but fripperies left for him to tinkle at. I suspect he's getting bored.

I won't be surprised to see him retire soon. Then we'll need to worry about Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    I feel for Ive.

Now that he's done the iPhone and iPad, there's nothing but fripperies left for him to tinkle at. I suspect he's getting bored.

I won't be surprised to see him retire soon. Then we'll need to worry about Apple.

I guess when you only see your own bullshit it's easy to continue to obscure your vision.

With an Apple Watch wrapped around his hand brass-knuckle style, Ive reveals that the project was conceived in his lab three years ago, shortly after Jobs’s death and before “wearables” became a buzzword in Silicon Valley. “It’s probably one of the most difficult projects I have ever worked on,” he says. There are numerous reasons for this—the complexity of the engineering, the need for new physical interactions between the watch and the human body—but the one most pertinent to Ive is that the Apple Watch is the first Apple product that looks more like the past than the future

Of course, you'll say it was difficult because he was soooooo bored.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I feel for Ive.

Ive has no need for the money, so I believe he stays on because he is more than challenged by his current work.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I feel for Ive.

Maybe so. Maybe he will tire of putting pretty cases around computer chips and batteries. Ha.

• Reply 32 of 32
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I guess when you only see your own bullshit it's easy to continue to obscure your vision.

Of course, you'll say it was difficult because he was soooooo bored.

We can all speculate.