Samsung's mobile profits plunge 64.2% after Apple's iPhone 6 devastates premium Galaxy sales

Comments

• Reply 81 of 145
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Is there any other market where there are 60 players but only 4 are profitable? That ratio seems very unbalanced.

That's actually more normal than you think.
  • Reply 82 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger2 View Post

I'm not sure why so many people take such great delight in the failures of Apple' s competitors. Competition is good for the consumer in this case.

I hope Samsung, Microsoft, et al, all keep innovating and making great products. This will force Apple to do the same. And, perhaps lower their prices.

This is a perpetual myth. Apple beats to it's own drum. It's not the sort of company that sits back and relaxes. 

• Reply 83 of 145
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    This is a perpetual myth. Apple beats to it's own drum. It's not the sort of company that sits back and relaxes. 
  • Reply 84 of 145
    World is full of schadenfreude , but yes I agree original poster doesn't understand apple. I personally want apple to keep its prices and thus margins high. I never buy the cheapest widget unless it's a commodity like toothpaste or washing powder. I choose to buy the premium product because I know it will save me money in the long run. I own a 15 year old BMW and it has saved me $ compared with buying say a ford. Same is true of apple . I don't agree with being superior though and it's not apple itself that does that it simply tries to make the best Device it can and won't compromise that just to make it cheaper and the competition is being killed by this strategy. And it's driving them nuts . Long may it continue
  • Reply 85 of 145
    Samsung is "the beleaguered company" I tell you

So many syllables - that will confuse em over in fandroid land????
  • Reply 86 of 145

So why did they make iPhones with bigger screens?
  • Reply 87 of 145
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So why did they make iPhones with bigger screens?

Because they innovated and brought big screens first to the market
  • Reply 88 of 145
    pistis wrote: »
    Because they innovated and brought big screens first to the market

What part of 'bigger' didn't you understand? The ones Steve Jobs said no one would buy.
  • Reply 89 of 145
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    What part of 'bigger' didn't you understand? The ones Steve Jobs said no one would buy.

The iPad what part of bigger don't you understand
  • Reply 90 of 145
    paul94544 wrote: »
    The iPad what part of bigger don't you understand

That's not a mobile phone.
  • Reply 91 of 145
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Does TEZEN have an eco system? Maps, Search, docs, photo sharing a cloud and so on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's not a mobile phone.

The first iPhone was the largest screen smartphone at the time. Stop arguing. Everyone else just followed Apple to make large screen phone. 

• Reply 92 of 145
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Steve job said what was relevant at the time. Technology evolved. You can't apply what a person said 7 years ago to today standards...It's like 64kb RAM on PC comment by Bill Gate.

• Reply 93 of 145
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Steve job said what was relevant at the time. Technology evolved. You can't apply what a person said 7 years ago to today standards...It's like 64kb RAM on PC comment by Bill Gate.

Did our hands grow to increase the standard? Taste changed not standards.
  • Reply 94 of 145
    fallenjt wrote: »
    The first iPhone was the largest screen smartphone at the time. Stop arguing. Everyone else just followed Apple to make large screen phone. 

Yes the screen was large but its footprint was comparable to every other smartphone that was available at the time.
  • Reply 95 of 145
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

Technology changed to allow a larger display to be in a smaller and lighter device.
  • Reply 96 of 145
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Technology changed to allow a larger display to be in a smaller and lighter device.

Using that logic a phone with the dimensions of a sheet of paper would do great, because it's smaller and lighter.
  • Reply 97 of 145
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Actually what changed was Apple's ability to source 75 million Low Temperature Poly Silicon screens per quarter, 25 million or so at a novel pixel density of 401 ppi. As the shortages have shown, this was barely possible even in recent months. We can only imagine how they had to lean on display suppliers to expand their capacity, but we did have some supply-chain reporting 2 years ago that Apple was using up 3/4 of the world's production of LTPS displays while straining to fill 5 and 5S demand.

I think Steve Jobs was tweaking your beard in the future when he gave the best rationale for being content with the 4-inch screen. He had already, i have no doubt, given the go-ahead to design a case and edge treatment that would make it easier to handle larger screens. But the product would have to wait for better processors to drive the greater resolutions and still allow the batteries to shrink. And they had to wait for display makers to ramp up LTPS production in any case.
  • Reply 98 of 145
    flaneur wrote: »
    Actually what changed was Apple's ability to source 75 million Low Temperature Poly Silicon screens per quarter, 25 million or so at a novel pixel density of 401 ppi. As the shortages have shown, this was barely possible even in recent months. We can only imagine how they had to lean on display suppliers to expand their capacity, but we did have some supply-chain reporting 2 years ago that Apple was using up 3/4 of the world's production of LTPS displays while straining to fill 5 and 5S demand.

I think Steve Jobs was tweaking your beard in the future when he gave the best rationale for being content with the 4-inch screen. He had already, i have no doubt, given the go-ahead to design a case and edge treatment that would make it easier to handle larger screens. But the product would have to wait for better processors to drive the greater resolutions and still allow the batteries to shrink. And they had to wait for display makers to ramp up LTPS production in any case.

I'd have more money than God if I had a dollar for every "I think Steve Jobs...." I've heard. The truth is nobody knew what SJ was thinking except for him.
  • Reply 99 of 145
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Using that logic a phone with the dimensions of a sheet of paper would do great, because it's smaller and lighter.

1) Only if you ignore everything logical about the design.

2) If you honestly believe that Steve Jobs literally meant the original iPhone was the perfect size then why would the size have changed under Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 100 of 145
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) Only if you ignore everything logical about the design.

2) If you honestly believe that Steve Jobs literally meant the original iPhone was the perfect size then why would the size have changed under Steve Jobs?

1) What's illogical about it?

2) That's not what I was referring to?