Google announces 40 new third-party integrations for Siri competitor Google Now

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Search giant Google on Friday revealed that it will allow select Android apps to integrate with Google Now --?the company's answer to Apple's Siri digital assistant -- allowing users of services like AirBnB, Pandora, and Lyft to pull that data into Now.

Each of the new apps will be allowed to present context-sensitive information in the form of a Now card, rather than relying on system notifications. Pandora could surface music recommendations during users' commuting time, for instance, while Lyft might populate a card for ordering a ride when the user arrives at an airport.

Google product manager Aparna Chennapragada said in a blog post that the new cards would be made available over the "next few weeks." There is no word on when, or if, Google will open up Now to the general population of developers or bring the features to its iOS app.

The full list of new Now partners includes AirBnB, Instacart, Pandora, Shazam, Lyft, TripAdvisor, Kayak, eBay, Walgreens, Ford, Waze, Strava, Duolingo, Mint, The Economist, The Guardian, Bellyflop, Coinbase, Redfin, Zillow, Life360, HootSuite, Wattpad, Runtastic, Delivery Hero, Hailo, mytaxi, busuu, ESPN, Housing, Meru Cabs, Shaadi, The Economic Times, CookPad, SmartNews, Suumo, BookMyShow, and Lincoln.

Apple has long been rumored to be considering expanding the Siri API, though such a change has yet to materialize. The company did add a number of new features to Siri in iOS 8, including integration with Shazam.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Allowing services to "pull" data into Now - sounds more like "push" to me.

More targeted advertising services from the big G. Sapping up bandwidth.:no:
  • Reply 2 of 71
    I've got to say that I would love for Siri to become a more powerful assistant. I'm trusting that Apple is taking it's time either to focus on making other things in the ecosystem better or working on bringing a huge bang for the iPhone 6S and future Macs.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Google Now is nothing like Siri and should not be described as a competitor to it.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Siri for the Mac would be amazing!
  • Reply 5 of 71
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    robm wrote: »
    Allowing services to "pull" data into Now - sounds more like "push" to me.

More targeted advertising services from the big G. Sapping up bandwidth.:no:

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Google will pull data FROM the application requests.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    For a preview of personal computing in about 10 to 20 years, watch the movie "Her."
    Earpiece CPU with voice interface, images and video displayed wirelessly to mobile or desktop screens.
    No more screens full of app icons. Just services that the OS connects to.
    (Not a very bright future if you're a Photoshop jockey.)
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Apple needs to get in the context awareness game..for Siri and Notification Center..
  • Reply 8 of 71

Look, a pic of Google's future headquarters:

Just needs some color changes.

• Reply 9 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Meanwhile I really hope Apple is testing ?Search behind closed doors and makes it the default search on all iOS and OS X devices when it is running smoothly.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pujones1 View Post

I've got to say that I would love for Siri to become a more powerful assistant. I'm trusting that Apple is taking it's time either to focus on making other things in the ecosystem better or working on bringing a huge bang for the iPhone 6S and future Macs.

I think Apple has done it right. Siri has actually come a long way. It recognizes my voice much better, and there is far less lag time. Her personality is developing nicely, and Apple incorporates features every OS release. 

• Reply 11 of 71
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Why would they bother? Does Google Now work on Tizen? Oh, it doesn't matter anymore...
  • Reply 12 of 71
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

For a preview of personal computing in about 10 to 20 years, watch the movie "Her."

Earpiece CPU with voice interface, images and video displayed wirelessly to mobile or desktop screens.

No more screens full of app icons. Just services that the OS connects to.

(Not a very bright future if you're a Photoshop jockey.)

Sounds like their budget was too low to afford a Photoshop jockey, so they went with the "computer is invisible but sounds just like this girl who is breaking into show-business and will work for minimum wage" option.

• Reply 13 of 71
    Start earning over $3,000 per month at http://cashema.com
    ALL YOU NEED IS A COMPUTER WITH INTERNET CONNECTION
    LIMITED POSITIONS AVAILABLE
  • Reply 14 of 71
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Sounds like their budget was too low to afford a Photoshop jockey, so they went with the "computer is invisible but sounds just like this girl who is breaking into show-business and will work for minimum wage" option.

Exactly.  Same reason why the computer on Star Trek: The Original Series "talks" to you.

No need for a fancy SFX display.

• Reply 15 of 71
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Search giant Google on Friday revealed that it will allow select Android apps to integrate with Google Now

There is no word on when, or if, Google will open up Now to the general population of developers or bring the features to its iOS app.

So...  ...open?

• Reply 16 of 71
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Yes, the great spam machine! Way to go google, you are a real POS...
  • Reply 17 of 71

I don't know that I'd consider Now to be a Siri competitor. Siri is a verbal digital assistant with some personality. Now is an assistant that aggregates your relevant digital information, and it happens to handle voice search and text to speech.

3rd party Now participation should be quite useful. It is not an ad spam vehicle any more than the notification bar (e.g. it isn't).

• Reply 18 of 71
    Ooooo...cards. The excitement never ends at Mountain View HQ.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Google Now is not a Siri competitor.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Remember people, the product that Google sells is YOU! Keep that in mind and you’ll be okay.