Samsung's mobile profits plunge 64.2% after Apple's iPhone 6 devastates premium Galaxy sales

Comments

• Reply 121 of 145
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    iPhone wasn't designed in a vacuum.

This is the point I'm trying to make.
  • Reply 122 of 145
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    This is the point I'm trying to make.

But your point is Apple takes features from other manufacturers and not through its own experience.
  • Reply 123 of 145
    But your point is Apple takes features from other manufacturers and not through its own experience.

A don't categorize a bigger screen as a 'feature'. Why continue losing customers to a competitor, because of a simple spec? I do believe that Apple was concerned that for the first time the switchers from iOS to Android would outnumber the Android to iOS ones.
  • Reply 124 of 145
    A don't categorize a bigger screen as a 'feature'. Why continue losing customers to a competitor, because of a simple spec? I do believe that Apple was concerned that for the first time the switchers from iOS to Android would outnumber the Android to iOS ones.

Do you have any stats to back that up? I'm not talking about surveys that may or may not predict purchases.
  • Reply 125 of 145
    Do you have any stats to back that up? I'm not talking about surveys that may or may not predict purchases.

If I had stats I would've said 'I know' instead of 'I believe'.
  • Reply 126 of 145
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did our hands grow to increase the standard? Taste changed not standards.

Did you even understand what Reachability in iOS8 means? All I want to say is that Technology evolved for both software and hardware where software will take care of what hardware was limited to. Before was virtual keyboard vs physical keyboard. And now , in this case, Reachability for large screen iPhone. What's so hard to understand?

• Reply 127 of 145
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Did you even understand what Reachability in iOS8 means? All I want to say is that Technology evolved for both software and hardware where software will take care of what hardware was limited to. Before was virtual keyboard vs physical keyboard. And now , in this case, Reachability for large screen iPhone. What's so hard to understand?

Was Reachability impossible before?
  • Reply 128 of 145
    Quote:

Apple was concerned that for the first time the switchers from iOS to Android

Never heard of any. 

Never seen any.

• Reply 129 of 145
    Quote:

Was Reachability impossible before?

Not really. How do you access the Reachability? Access the sensor under Home button through Sapphire glass, right? It's a dumb financial move to build that before just for Reachability purpose. Apple only decided to go for large screen when Reachability is possible.

• Reply 130 of 145
    Never heard of any. 
    Never seen any.

Like they're going to admit it.
  • Reply 131 of 145
    Not really. How do you access the Reachability? Access the sensor under Home button through Sapphire glass, right? It's a dumb financial move to build that before just for Reachability purpose. Apple only decided to go for large screen when Reachability is possible.

And it was impossible to implement any other way?
  • Reply 132 of 145
    Quote:

And it was impossible to implement any other way?

The answer is NO without compromising the design and that was not worth in Apple business sense to do that where you redesign the hardware just for one purpose: to place accommodate the sensor for Reachability...

• Reply 133 of 145

But Google would or Sammy would.
  • Reply 134 of 145
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:

This in fact is how Tim Cook responded to that question in an interview:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/12/6142359/tim-cook-says-apple-could-have-made-a-bigger-iphone-years-ago

So I am to believe your POV and beliefs over what Tim states explicitly?

• Reply 135 of 145
    tmay wrote: »
    This in fact is how Tim Cook responded to that question in an interview:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/12/6142359/tim-cook-says-apple-could-have-made-a-bigger-iphone-years-ago

So I am to believe your POV and beliefs over what Tim states explicitly?

Doesn't say anything about why they did it.
  • Reply 136 of 145
    Quote:

Doesn't say anything about why they did it.

They are capitalists; they recognized that screen size was a purchase factor, they provided a solution, and they are printing money for that decision.

• Reply 137 of 145
    They are capitalists; they recognized that screen size was a purchase factor, they provided a solution, and they are printing money for that decision.

And the consequences if they didn’t?
  • Reply 138 of 145
    But Google would or Sammy would.

Of course not.
  • Reply 139 of 145
    Quote:

And the consequences if they didn’t?

I get it now.

This is another form of "Apple is doomed", Apple responded, taking its own sweet time, so whatever scenario that you are implying might have had dire consequences, never happened.

I'm guessing that you want to believe that Apple acted in fear, but given what we've seen, the only indication is urgency, and resolve. If anything, what the IPhone 6's have shown is how vulnerable the Android world is to truly innovative products. 

• Reply 140 of 145
    I get it now.

This is another form of "Apple is doomed", Apple responded, taking its own sweet time, so whatever scenario that you are implying might have had dire consequences, never happened.

I'm guessing that you want to believe that Apple acted in fear, but given what we've seen, the only indication is urgency, and resolve. If anything, what the IPhone 6's have shown is how vulnerable the Android world is to truly innovative products. 

Fear is much too strong a word, I'd say concern. Sales still would have been great, but not record breaking, and perhaps maybe even flat YoY. And for the record Apple is long away from being doomed.