Microsoft Outlook debuts as free download for iPhone, iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    dm44dm44 Posts: 2member

you just gave your corporate username/password to Microsoft.  See privacy info in app.

• Reply 42 of 55
    All be aware that this technology is not a normal local Email client but instead a Server based service that saves all your usernames and passwords for your email accounts used with that app on the Microsoft (Acompli) servers including all Email content of all the accounts (see privacy agreement).

So this is definitely not something you want to use in a professional environment unless you are not at all concerned about business secrets!
  • Reply 43 of 55
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Nope this Mac user doesn't use iCloud for Emails, I'm too private and secure for that.

I expect this iOS Outlook may appeal to some M$ centered companies, but I doubt individuals will bother with it.

It's another example of M$ not understanding personal tech users.

With you there on the first point. I don't use iCloud email either.

As for the second, realizing everyone will have their own preference, I actually prefer the approach of having email, calendar, etc, in a single app. Invitations (which some of us do use for personal use) in Apple's model leaves much to be desired, especially if you interoperate with people using non-Apple tools. iCal in general is a relatively limited calendar app (even for my personal use).

Mind you, not that I'm going to run out and install Outlook. No thanks. But given Apple's insistence on updating those apps with every OS update (as opposed to creating a stable, mature code base independent of the OS upgrade cycle) does make me wonder if it's time to look for an alternative.

• Reply 44 of 55

I was just gonna say that. I've been using this for a while as Acompli. Always worked really well and the developers were a great bunch. Would usually respond to issues right away. I was bummed when they sold out to MS. Here's to hoping that a once great email client app doesn't get screwed up.

• Reply 45 of 55
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 186member
    Can't even get past setup, as the self signed certificates create a warning and... even if that warning is dismissed, it just keeps coming back.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

OK, now I know you're trolling here... image

I just reported him. One comment is fine. Two is pushing it. Three is trolling. The last one was pretty bad.

• Reply 47 of 55
    Really ! a great news for iPhone and iPad users. Now, user can enjoy a robust application on Apple's hand-held gadget.

But, user should ensure with proper synchronization between Outlook and Smart-phone.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EGlasheen View Post

Awesome... Now all I need is Project.

Actually, SG Project Pro is really good. In some ways it is better than the desktop version according to my friend where I work. SG Project is free to try. http://www.simplegeniussoftware.com/sg-project-pro-ipad.html

• Reply 49 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

It still won't sync all of my Outlook contact information from work ... only the recent contacts. Otherwise Exchange on Apple Mail was working just fine. Don't see the need for this. It doesn't even do the basics well. 

• Reply 50 of 55
    Last statement in the article needs to be removed. This app did not replace OWA app.
  • Reply 51 of 55

"Nope this Mac user doesn't use iCloud for Emails, I'm too private and secure for that."

And perfect and odor free as well.

• Reply 52 of 55
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    dm44 wrote: »
    I just checked out the Privacy Policy in the app, depending on what email account type you use with the app/service, they (Microsoft) collect your username, password, server URL, and server domain. They also index your emails using their "service" ... I'm out, my employer would never allow Microsoft to have that info. How many of you just skipped past that? :)

Unfortunately I was one of those who did skip over, but thanks to people like you I caught it! Thank you! My workplace has strict privacy policies, which this app violates. I will be forwarding this to my IT Director so he can put out a statement company-wide to stop people from using this app.

dm44 wrote: »
    you just gave your corporate username/password to Microsoft.  See privacy info in app.

So much for thinking there was any hope for Microsoft under Satia's management...

patentheld wrote: »
    All be aware that this technology is not a normal local Email client but instead a Server based service that saves all your usernames and passwords for your email accounts used with that app on the Microsoft (Acompli) servers including all Email content of all the accounts (see privacy agreement).

So this is definitely not something you want to use in a professional environment unless you are not at all concerned about business secrets!

Microsoft is going the way of Google really fast...

I just reported him. One comment is fine. Two is pushing it. Three is trolling. The last one was pretty bad.
    Trolls are just sad people, aren't they?
  • Reply 53 of 55
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    I downloaded it to my iPhone5 running OS 8.1.3. Google, Yahoo, Exchange, Outlook.com we're all listed as connections. Office 365 was not listed?

The only reason I did it is because my employer uses Office 365.

I think Microsoft really doesn't get mobile.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm pretty sure iCloud email isn't running on Exchange server. So if it doesn't support IMAP, how is it connecting to iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo mail?

I can't get to iTunes right now to verify what the description says Outlook is actually supporting, but just because the AI article didn't list IMAP I wouldn't automatically assume it doesn't support it.

I'm fairly certain IMAP isn't iCloud, Gmail or Yahoo's primary connection method these days. It still supports them for older stuff, but I think there all using replacements these days.

• Reply 55 of 55
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    My employer just put out an official statement regarding this app, with the following bullet points:

[LIST]
    [*] The app stores a copy of the user’s credentials on servers outside of Canada
    [*] Message content is stored on servers located outside of Canada (FIPPA violation)
    [*] After an account is deleted, Microsoft’s servers continue to attempt to retrieve email
    [*] The app does not enforce ActiveSync security policies (e.g. device passcode requirements, ability to wipe remotely, etc.)
    [/LIST]

Microsoft, congratulations, you've become Google with one app! :no: