Apple, Samsung now tied for the title of world's largest smartphone maker

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

except they haven’t gone away from the 4" screen.

They simply added 4.7" & 5.5” screens.

The people complaining about the lack of a 4" screen option essentially want a 4" version of the 6.   They want a 4" premium phone.

• Reply 62 of 73

I think there is no question, Apple is the largest smartphone maker.  And the largest computer maker and the largest software vendor and lots of other things, because they are THE LARGEST.  Apple is the largest company. Period.  

There is so much ambiguity in the headline that it means virtually nothing.  It could also be that Samsung is the largest smartphone maker in the world, because Samsung makes the largest smartphones.  The largest phones. Period.

Oh, you're actually referring to smartphone market-share?  Well we all know absolutely nobody gives a rats tail about that.  The MARKET SHARE competition is moot. Why would Appleinsider focus on that?  

• Reply 63 of 73
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The people complaining about the lack of a 4" screen option essentially want a 4" version of the 6.   They want a 4" premium phone.

and they will get one in due time.

• Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

and they will get one in due time.

The record breaking quarter that has been so much in the news is due to the shift from a 4" screen to two larger sizes.  What do think Apple would see in that which would make them suddenly decide to bring back a 4" premium model?  Any production capacity given over to a 4" model would be taking away capacity to produce the larger sizes if it was just an addition to the range.

• Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The record breaking quarter that has been so much in the news is due to the shift from a 4" screen to two larger sizes. 

The 2 larger screen sizes are in addition to the existing 5C & 5S still being sold.

Yes, the majority of iPhones sold are the 6 & 6 Plus but the 4” screen is likely selling very well. I don’t see Apple getting rid of the 4” screen anytime soon. Not everyone wants a large iPhone.

Quote:

What do think Apple would see in that which would make them suddenly decide to bring back a 4" premium model? 

Bring back? In order to “bring back” it would have to have been "gone".

According to this estimate, the 5S, 5C & even 4S, which are still being sold, did just fine this last quarter (~12 million units).

-> http://www.businessinsider.com/kgi-iphone-estimates-2015-1

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

They sold them and continue to sell them. Why are you trying to argue it’s not true?

• Reply 66 of 73

You are completely missing the point.  There are people who want Apple to bring back a premium model with 4" screen.  They don't want an A7 processor or less than bleeding edge GPU.  They want the A8, the very latest screen and fingerprint sensor and so forth, but in a 4" screen form factor.  If you go back and read my original post that started this - or any of the others, you will see that nowhere have I said that a 4" screen model wasn't currently available.

• Reply 67 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    The 2 larger screen sizes are in addition to the existing 5C & 5S still being sold.
    Yes, the majority of iPhones sold are the 6 & 6 Plus but the 4” screen is likely selling very well. I don’t see Apple getting rid of the 4” screen anytime soon. Not everyone wants a large iPhone.

There is no 4" model with the latest, and greatest features. The ones complaining already own the previous 4" models.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There is no 4" model with the latest, and greatest features.

and there will be one in due time.

• Reply 69 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    and there will be one in due time.

And you know this how? You're just guessing.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    According to this estimate, the 5S, 5C & even 4S, which are still being sold, did just fine this last quarter (~12 million units).

[chart]

That puts the 4S + 5C + 5S at about 16%* compared to the approx. 84%** remaining for the 6 + 6 Plus, right?

We know that Apple has sold older iPhones for every year except for the 1st and 2nd year, where there was no older iPhone and they stopped building the original iPhone, respectively.

Now the iPhone 5C is a "new" model after the iPhone 5 was discontinued, but it replaced the iPhone 5's metal casing, for whatever reason, so I think it would be disingenuous for this conversation to call it a new device since it used pretty much all the same year-old tech of the iPhone, not to mention that the iPhone 4 and 4S were still in production when it launched.

So what where the percentages in previous years of older iPhone sales when there was only one new iPhone?*** I would guess they were likely higher the 16% we're seeing with the iPhone 6 series.

My assumption is based on the iPhone's continued overall growth, the drop in premium smartphone sales from other vendors, the inclusion of a 2nd model for the year, China's increase interest, as well as Apple's increased push into China, -and- the larger display sizes.

Now consider the 4.7" iPhone is already lighter than 6 generations of iPhones before it and already has a lower volume than the first 4 generations of iPhones before it. On top of that, the iPhone 6 Plus has a lower box volume than 2 previous iPhone models with 3.5" displays and both the iPhone 6 series models are thinner than all previous iPhones.

My guess is that this trend in making the iPhones smaller and lighter will continue, not go the other way, as it did for many generations with the 3.5" display iPhones.

Based on all that, do you think we'll see a 4" display iPhone in the future that has the modern internals of the 4.7" and 5.5" display iPhones? I don't think that's likely, especially consodering the likelihood that the next 4.7" and 5.5" display models will continue to get lighter and smaller, at least every two years.

* 12 / 74.5 = 0.16
    ** 100 - 16 = 84
    *** Defined as a new model with major internal components not used in previous iPhones
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And you know this how? You're just guessing.

I don’t “know” this but I’d bet Apple will keep a 4” screen (with updated hardware).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY

Now the iPhone 5C is a "new" model after the iPhone 5 was discontinued, but it replaced the iPhone 5's metal casing, for whatever reason, so I think it would be disingenuous for this conversation to call it a new device 

I’m not suggesting it is a “new” device.

Quote:

Based on all that, do you think we'll see a 4" display iPhone in the future that has the modern internals of the 4.7" and 5.5" display iPhones?

Yeah, I do believe the 4” will stick around with hardware updates.

• Reply 72 of 73
    solipsismy wrote: »

[chart]

That puts the 4S + 5C + 5S at about 16%* compared to the approx. 84%** remaining for the 6 + 6 Plus, right?

We know that Apple has sold older iPhones for every year except for the 1st and 2nd year, where there was no older iPhone and they stopped building the original iPhone, respectively.

Now the iPhone 5C is a "new" model after the iPhone 5 was discontinued, but it replaced the iPhone 5's metal casing, for whatever reason, so I think it would be disingenuous for this conversation to call it a new device since it used pretty much all the same year-old tech of the iPhone, not to mention that the iPhone 4 and 4S were still in production when it launched.

So what where the percentages in previous years of older iPhone sales when there was only one new iPhone?*** I would guess they were likely higher the 16% we're seeing with the iPhone 6 series.

My assumption is based on the iPhone's continued overall growth, the drop in premium smartphone sales from other vendors, the inclusion of a 2nd model for the year, China's increase interest, as well as Apple's increased push into China, -and- the larger display sizes.

Now consider the 4.7" iPhone is already lighter than 6 generations of iPhones before it and already has a lower volume than the first 4 generations of iPhones before it. On top of that, the iPhone 6 Plus has a lower box volume than 2 previous iPhone models with 3.5" displays and both the iPhone 6 series models are thinner than all previous iPhones.

My guess is that this trend in making the iPhones smaller and lighter will continue, not go the other way, as it did for many generations with the 3.5" display iPhones.

Based on all that, do you think we'll see a 4" display iPhone in the future that has the modern internals of the 4.7" and 5.5" display iPhones? I don't think that's likely, especially consodering the likelihood that the next 4.7" and 5.5" display models will continue to get lighter and smaller, at least every two years.

* 12 / 74.5 = 0.16
    ** 100 - 16 = 84
    *** Defined as a new model with major internal components not used in previous iPhones

You're misreading the tables. The 4" and 3.5" models are 20%, not 16%.

Also, the lightest iPhones are the 5 and 5s, not the 6, which you know, but choose to ignore, in order to fit your agenda. Volume is really not such a big deal, particularly thickness, whereas size in the hand and lightness are more important. The 5 and 5s win on both counts.