Google announces 40 new third-party integrations for Siri competitor Google Now

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Better app integration with Siri would be great.  In particular, I wish Siri could tell me my heart rate (Endomondo), how many steps I've walked (FitBit), how many calories I have left to eat today (MyFitnessPal), etc.  

I know so many people with iPhones, and most don't use Siri for anything.  I use her for timers, mostly (laundry).

• Reply 42 of 71
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Look, a pic of Google's future headquarters:

Just needs some color changes.

A rush job but you get the idea lol

• Reply 43 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That small team monitors your search needs and makes that available to governments if and when they need it.

Apple appears to have a similar page, but with a different angle on their statistics. It looks to me like a smaller % of Google users have had information handed over to law enforcement than Apple users (0.0026% vs 0.0035%.), based on 50K users hand info shared with LE, against 187M unique users.

• Reply 44 of 71
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    robm wrote: »
    I can only think that you have altered some of you privacy settings in your account Prefs.
    GG is always banging on how this is easy to do and therefore we needn't worry - but for the corps many IT departments don't allow the user access.

I know you are talking about search and that may be true - it's the email etc side of Googles data mining that concerns me.
    This latest move to dish up meaningful information/ads using Google Now is just another example of how Google mines your data, stores your profile for free all the while enriching itself.
    I accept that it's there, it ain't going to go away but - it stinks.

The spooky thing of Google is my following example:

A friend of mine ordered a cartridge at his local (Dutch) office supply online store. Didn't Googled for anything, just logged in at Viking (Office Depot), went to purchase history and bought the same cartridge like he always does). Next day he sees ads for that specific (generic) cartridge when Googling something, without even being logged in. He does have a gmail account, but that's always used within his Outlook client.

So how does Google know about the cartridge? Is there some data sharing going on between suppliers and Google? Can Google peek into ones cookies on your local peecee?
  • Reply 45 of 71
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Except when they can't decrypt it.

What they can't decrypt? All the cloud content can be decrypted by Apple, and the email is not encrypted.If you talk about the phones, none of the companies can decrypt if full encrypted

• Reply 46 of 71
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    This Google is evil rant is getting tired. It's getting really hard to keep defending the glacial progress at apple. Siri is not even in the same league as Google Now. It only exists in a handful of languages, has difficulty understanding you (try Now to see the difference!) and lacks integration with third party apps.

Also, these Google Now Cards are beautiful compared to the butt ugly notification center. Come on, nobody can like the layout and design of that ugly grey thing, right?

I love Apple hardware, but they have lost the plot with software. And they don't have a clue about services.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Unless I'm mistaken and it's not quite the same, you can get Google Now via the Google app on the App Store. I'm using it right now, actually. Cards and "ok Google" and everything. Even has the same animations as on Lollipop (looks like it, anyway.)
  • Reply 48 of 71
    gwydion wrote: »
    What they can't decrypt? All the cloud content can be decrypted by Apple, and the email is not encrypted.If you talk about the phones, none of the companies can decrypt if full encrypted

Apple can't decrypt FaceTime nor iMessage:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/06/17/apple-claims-it-encrypts-imessages-and-facetime-so-that-even-it-cant-read-them/
  • Reply 49 of 71
    freerange wrote: »
    Yes, the great spam machine! Way to go google, you are a real POS...
    Spam? What do you mean? You can turn off the cards that brother you if you don't want them to show up.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hagar View Post

This Google is evil rant is getting tired. It's getting really hard to keep defending the glacial progress at apple. Siri is not even in the same league as Google Now. It only exists in a handful of languages, has difficulty understanding you (try Now to see the difference!) and lacks integration with third party apps.

Also, these Google Now Cards are beautiful compared to the butt ugly notification center. Come on, nobody can like the layout and design of that ugly grey thing, right?

I love Apple hardware, but they have lost the plot with software. And they don't have a clue about services.

Really not looking to get into another iOS vs. Android debate (but why not), but it's only with Lollipop that Android doesn't look like a dark, gloomy, unintuitive mess. 

I find Material Design to be rather attractive, and the animations are tasteful. Android is very pleasant to use now. I recently gave the Nexus 6 a test drive and I have to say, if I were to ever get an Android device that'd be it. Stock Android now looks and feels great with Lollipop - and especially on a Nexus 6.  But it's only with Lollipop that Google's cleaned up the implementation and interactive functioning of key features to bring them to "ease of use" parity with iOS. Pretty, interactive cards are in no way enough of an objective reason - for me at least - to abandon the entirety of the iOS ecosystem and all that it offers, which includes second-to-none integration with my other Apple devices (Continuity, Handoff, etc.) And then there's the sheer speed and simplicity of iOS. No mess, no fuss style of getting things done. 

Apple's gone for a minimalist, simple implementation of a lot of the standard convenience features, and I'll take the sheer intuitive sensibility - for instance - of their implementation of the notification centre in particular and their implementation of notifications in general over Lollipop's any day. 

All that being said, I do like Google Now, but there is just not enough there. When I consider what both ecosystems offer the user in their totality (ongoing device updates and support, cross-device integration, and OS security are a big part of this consideration) the iOS ecosystem is just too much of a seamless, complete package to consider anything else. 

• Reply 51 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Look, a pic of Google's future headquarters:

Just needs some color changes.

Hahaha. I got that reference instantly, although I'm a bit embarrassed to say so. What a great analogy!:

1) Harvesting user info, unbeknownst (for the most part) to the user,  for the benefit of the company. 

2) Run by a socially awkward megalomaniac for whom the end justifies the means, and who has a grandiose vision of himself, but really he's just a joke(r).

I guess in this case Steve Jobs would be the sound-minded Bruce Wayne that turned down the joker's zany, unethical idea, and Tim Cook would be Robin. Joker(s) then set out to prove Bruce Wayne wrong by developing the their mind (behavior) harvesting tool (android) that was built on the IP originally developed at Wayne Enterprises (Apple). Joker(s) then gloat about their products in obnoxious fashion (e.g. skydiving glassholes). So far the story is following pretty closely. Looking forward to Robin's next move!

• Reply 52 of 71
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    lmao - that's great. I didn't see it like that, but brilliant !
    To borrow from AC Clark, life imitating art.:D
  • Reply 53 of 71
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Really not looking to get into another iOS vs. Android debate (but why not), but it's only with Lollipop that Android doesn't look like a dark, gloomy, unintuitive mess. 

I find Material Design to be rather attractive, and the animations are tasteful. Android is very pleasant to use now. I recently gave the Nexus 6 a test drive and I have to say, if I were to ever get an Android device that'd be it. Stock Android now looks and feels great with Lollipop - and especially on a Nexus 6.  But it's only with Lollipop that Google's cleaned up the implementation and interactive functioning of key features to bring them to "ease of use" parity with iOS. Pretty, interactive cards are in no way enough of an objective reason - for me at least - to abandon the entirety of the iOS ecosystem and all that it offers, which includes second-to-none integration with my other Apple devices (Continuity, Handoff, etc.) And then there's the sheer speed and simplicity of iOS. No mess, no fuss style of getting things done. 

Apple's gone for a minimalist, simple implementation of a lot of the standard convenience features, and I'll take the sheer intuitive sensibility - for instance - of their implementation of the notification centre in particular and their implementation of notifications in general over Lollipop's any day. 

All that being said, I do like Google Now, but there is just not enough there. When I consider what both ecosystems offer the user in their totality (ongoing device updates and support, cross-device integration, and OS security are a big part of this consideration) the iOS ecosystem is just too much of a seamless, complete package to consider anything else. 

To address the poster you quoated: As someone who has used Google Now and Siri both extensively (I own an iPhone 6 Plus and a Moto X 2nd Generation), I actually prefer Siri overall. I don't believe I can use Google Now without unlocking the phone first, which isn't that great. It doesn't do sports scores that well, and searches often to defer me to a regular search page. Siri just seems to be a tad smarter, and improves every year. I also find the voice recognition on the iPhone 6 with the latest version of iOS 8 to be excellent. Maybe people are putting suffocating cases on their devices, who knows.

In terms of design, I agree with your assessment. Material design is excellent. If a user opts for a Nexus 6, they will opting for the best of Google's design team. It's especially attractive on Super Amoled displays, the colors absolutely pop. Animations and transitions are really slick. This release is the first time since the first iPhone I truly believe Google has designed something that is aesthetically more pleasing than iOS.

Like you it's not enough for me to give up a superior app ecosystem, seamless integration into Mac products, and a great design on its own. I think Apple has an opportunity for iOS 9 to speed up the animations, have more efficient multitasking and clean up a few design annoyances. I also hope for them to sharpen their panel. Maybe have the 6 Plus be 2k. I can really tell the difference between the Note 4 and the 6 Plus displays unfortunately. Fortunately, I can tell how much 'better' the iPhone feels in terms of speed compared to that phone too.

• Reply 54 of 71

I'll stick with Cortana, thanks :D

• Reply 55 of 71
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So how does Google know about the cartridge? Is there some data sharing going on between suppliers and Google? Can Google peek into ones cookies on your local peecee?

It is sufficient that Viking sends a confirmation email with the order details  to your friends gmail address. 

• Reply 56 of 71
    cropr wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    It is sufficient that Viking sends a confirmation email with the order details  to your friends gmail address. 

That's good thinking, but he has a different email address listed @ Viking. A private domain actually, pointing to an Exchange server at our local telco. (I should've added that bit of info earlier)

Could Google get info from suppliers?
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koop View Post

To address the poster you quoated: As someone who has used Google Now and Siri both extensively (I own an iPhone 6 Plus and a Moto X 2nd Generation), I actually prefer Siri overall. I don't believe I can use Google Now without unlocking the phone first, which isn't that great. It doesn't do sports scores that well, and searches often to defer me to a regular search page. Siri just seems to be a tad smarter, and improves every year. I also find the voice recognition on the iPhone 6 with the latest version of iOS 8 to be excellent. Maybe people are putting suffocating cases on their devices, who knows.

I always have both an iPhone and an Android smartphone in my pocket, so I am also testing Google Now and Siri.  I am living in the Dutch speaking part of Belgium and Siri is performing poorly here,  mainly due to the fact that Siri does not understand Dutch, while Google Now does.  Even if I speak English to Siri,  he does not recognize  the name of any major city in Belgium, he is not aware of any Belgian sports results or any local event.  Basically the use cases of Siri are quite limited here.

• Reply 58 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    koop wrote: »
    To address the poster you quoated: As someone who has used Google Now and Siri both extensively (I own an iPhone 6 Plus and a Moto X 2nd Generation), I actually prefer Siri overall. I don't believe I can use Google Now without unlocking the phone first, which isn't that great.
    Of course you can do a search on your MotoX without touching it. Unlike Siri your phone doesn't even need to be plugged in. You did set up Moto Voice didn't you? Not sure how you could possibly have missed that.
    http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/moto-x-2014-guides/how-to-setup-and-use-moto-voice-on-the-moto-x-2014/
  • Reply 59 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »
    The spooky thing of Google is my following example:

A friend of mine ordered a cartridge at his local (Dutch) office supply online store. Didn't Googled for anything, just logged in at Viking (Office Depot), went to purchase history and bought the same cartridge like he always does). Next day he sees ads for that specific (generic) cartridge when Googling something, without even being logged in. He does have a gmail account, but that's always used within his Outlook client.

Google isn't the only ad provider on the net. Sounds likely it was some other company delivering that ad to him.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That's good thinking, but he has a different email address listed @ Viking. A private domain actually, pointing to an Exchange server at our local telco. (I should've added that bit of info earlier)

Could Google get info from suppliers?

If Viking has an Adsense subcription or a similar service from the competition, then any visit to Viking does not remain unnoticed.