Google announces 40 new third-party integrations for Siri competitor Google Now

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    xixo wrote: »
    My wife uses BIng on her Mac & phone. Everytime I find myself searching for something for her, it drives me nuts. Bing sucks as a search engine.

I write web apps that integrate with google APIs (drive, calendar, user authentication) but I would not want to integrate with this. Same reason I would not write a point of sale application that integrates with Amazon - you're giving them the ammunition to shoot you.

AirBnB - great. The attorney general of your state cannot get AirBnb's records of the all the times you rented out mom's basement, so they go to Google instead.

Waze - where have you been (specifically)?

Walgreens - what prescription / OTC drugs are you looking for?

It's obvious why Google is doing this - these mobile apps are shut off from Google's web crawlers. Also Google seems fascinated with recording and analysing human behaviour in general. 

I will tell you why you do not like Bing, because google does a better job or suggesting searchs entries than bing, but that also means google is going to direct you to websites which they want you to look at first.

Since most people have not clue how to use a search engine google has made it easier for them. However, I have been using bring for over a year now and it actually better at showing you what you maybe really looking for, verse those who pay more to get in front of you first. It also requires you to know a little about searching like not doing natural language questions, but put in key words and using the + sign and quote to get to the specific information you require.

I also have lots of example where google put first in a list a scamer or adware, or malware website first in the list and if you click on it since it first it will attempt to put thing on your computer, lucky I am on a Mac, and .exe files do nothing, but you have to ask yourself why would google put them up first, simple they paid for ad words and google cares more about ad $ than protecting your computer or your privacy.

So you can let google show you what they want to show you or find exactly what you need.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Of course you can do a search on your MotoX without touching it. Unlike Siri your phone doesn't even need to be plugged in. You did set up Moto Voice didn't you? Not sure how you could possibly have missed that.

http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/moto-x-2014-guides/how-to-setup-and-use-moto-voice-on-the-moto-x-2014/

I didn't miss it. Moto X is lousy on the battery and it's just not viable to keep active listening on. When a phone maker can get this feature right and the phone can last all day, i'll use it.

• Reply 63 of 71
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamitzyot View Post

I'll stick with Cortana, thanks :D

Oh, look, we have a new Windows troll.

• Reply 64 of 71
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google isn't the only ad provider on the net. Sounds likely it was some other company delivering that ad to him.

cropr wrote: »
    If Viking has an Adsense subcription or a similar service from the competition, then any visit to Viking does not remain unnoticed.

Never thought about that option - thanks guys!
  • Reply 65 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    koop wrote: »
    I didn't miss it. Moto X is lousy on the battery and it's just not viable to keep active listening on. When a phone maker can get this feature right and the phone can last all day, i'll use it.
    It lasts all day now. Nevertheless your original comment had nothing to do with the battery but instead complaining about the lack of a feature that in fact exists.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Oh, look, we have a new Windows troll.

How is stating a preference in a neutral manner in any way considered trolling? I never bashed the functionality or popularity of any off the other personal assistants; I merely said that I personally prefer Cortana over the competition. She won me some big bucks from the SuperBowl

• Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I will tell you why you do not like Bing, because google does a better job or suggesting searchs entries than bing, but that also means google is going to direct you to websites which they want you to look at first.

Since most people have not clue how to use a search engine google has made it easier for them. However, I have been using bring for over a year now and it actually better at showing you what you maybe really looking for, verse those who pay more to get in front of you first. It also requires you to know a little about searching like not doing natural language questions, but put in key words and using the + sign and quote to get to the specific information you require.

I also have lots of example where google put first in a list a scamer or adware, or malware website first in the list and if you click on it since it first it will attempt to put thing on your computer, lucky I am on a Mac, and .exe files do nothing, but you have to ask yourself why would google put them up first, simple they paid for ad words and google cares more about ad $ than protecting your computer or your privacy.

So you can let google show you what they want to show you or find exactly what you need.

I have an excellent record of quickly finding what I'm looking for with Google. I can coax some performance out of other engines easily too, but Google Search is still the most convenient and fastest. There is no reason that what Google wants to show me, and "exactly" what I need can't be the same thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by koop View Post

My Moto X also lasts all day and responds to voice from any state and any app.

I haven't yet seen a better implementation of an automatic driving mode either. It's nothing groundbreaking, but simply works as you would expect, and for some reason, nobody else is doing it yet. When Apple finally implements it, you won't see me in here bitching about them ripping off Motorola though.

• Reply 68 of 71
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I have an excellent record of quickly finding what I'm looking for with Google. I can coax some performance out of other engines easily too, but Google Search is still the most convenient and fastest. There is no reason that what Google wants to show me, and "exactly" what I need can't be the same thing.

The issue with google is what is know as the filter bubble that google applies to your searches over time as the build up a history about you, Some people like the filter bubble since it directs them to exactly what they want without seeing other alternatives.

I give you an example, last night my daughter was searching online for a prom dress and found some really cheap and exactly what she wanted. She just did a search on Prom Dress and the first few sites that came up were online stores, problem was as I dug into it, they were all Chinese companies. They did not make it clear to the end user until they tell you it may take up to a month to get the dress they claim they make them to order thus the reason to the long time period. They also list a NYC address on their contact page. I did a whois on the website and found out it was register in China to an individual with a gmail account and this same person registered 20 other prom dress website which a number of them show up in the first page of the google search. Why would google show these website to my daughter verse using our location and show local companies, that is because this company paid google more money. If you have an issue with one of these companies in China you have no real recourse with them. With these particular one they did say no returns for obvious reason.

I had to do a search in google an put in my location before google would show the local companies which offer online as well as store front operations. If you did not know any better you could be doing business with someone you did not intend to do business with. BYW their price was not much better than the local stores, yeah had special deals but so do local stores.
    My Moto X also lasts all day and responds to voice from any state and any app.

I haven't yet seen a better implementation of an automatic driving mode either. It's nothing groundbreaking, but simply works as you would expect, and for some reason, nobody else is doing it yet. When Apple finally implements it, you won't see me in here bitching about them ripping off Motorola though.

I have to agree Motorola Smart Action is great an is the one thing that I now miss not being on an Motorola phone, but Motorola has issue with over heating the battery on the phone which kills battery life. I use my Motorola phone for navigation lots and this alone cause the phone to heat up, and the more you do this, the worse the battery gets. I can not tell you how many Motorola phones I tossed over the years due to over heating the battery.

BTW, you can get smart action on the iphone, but it require you to jail break the phone. It not as clear of solution as Motorola, but is definitely does thing that Smart Actions can not do today.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The issue with google is what is know as the filter bubble that google applies to your searches over time as the build up a history about you, Some people like the filter bubble since it directs them to exactly what they want without seeing other alternatives.

I give you an example, last night my daughter was searching online for a prom dress and found some really cheap and exactly what she wanted. She just did a search on Prom Dress and the first few sites that came up were online stores, problem was as I dug into it, they were all Chinese companies. They did not make it clear to the end user until they tell you it may take up to a month to get the dress they claim they make them to order thus the reason to the long time period. They also list a NYC address on their contact page. I did a whois on the website and found out it was register in China to an individual with a gmail account and this same person registered 20 other prom dress website which a number of them show up in the first page of the google search. Why would google show these website to my daughter verse using our location and show local companies, that is because this company paid google more money. If you have an issue with one of these companies in China you have no real recourse with them. With these particular one they did say no returns for obvious reason.

I had to do a search in google an put in my location before google would show the local companies which offer online as well as store front operations. If you did not know any better you could be doing business with someone you did not intend to do business with. BYW their price was not much better than the local stores, yeah had special deals but so do local stores.

Yeah, I do think that Google requires a bit of expert use to avoid those kinds of issues. Nontechnical types are going to follow the yellow brick road most of the time. While I sympathize with that, my interests are what works for me, and Google (the way I use it) destroys other search options. I also leverage the filter bubble to save me a ton of time, because I know how it behaves in both results and suggested completions.

• Reply 70 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

For a preview of personal computing in about 10 to 20 years, watch the movie "Her."

Earpiece CPU with voice interface, images and video displayed wirelessly to mobile or desktop screens.

No more screens full of app icons. Just services that the OS connects to.

(Not a very bright future if you're a Photoshop jockey.)

Not a future that will come to pass, methinks.

• Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Better app integration with Siri would be great.  In particular, I wish Siri could tell me my heart rate (Endomondo), how many steps I've walked (FitBit), how many calories I have left to eat today (MyFitnessPal), etc.  

I know so many people with iPhones, and most don't use Siri for anything.  I use her for timers, mostly (laundry).

That's because voice is not the future. It will never be anything more than a niche form of communication with a computer. If Siri were to be discontinued tomorrow, I would not care less.

People are too smitten with sci-fi films where the actors speak to computers. It works well in a film, but reality is more mundane. It’s intrinsically an inefficient and anti-social way to interact with a computer, which is why it is doomed to niche-status.

Sorry to burst some of your bubbles.