Major physical changes could be coming to Apple stores as Angela Ahrendts era is in full swing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I am extremely skeptical that buying her out of her last job was worth a dime of it. Time will tell.

The first sentence of the article worries me: "Under the leadership of [a new, highly paid person from outside the company that had nothing to do with their current success], Apple is said to be considering major changes..." Every new commandant with a manager title is somehow always required to put their personal stamp on something to show their value. Otherwise, why would they pay them huge money? Time will indeed tell, but there's a cause->effect issue here as well that concerns me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Of course. They have to add a watch counter like in a jewelry store. They aren't going to just hook a $10,000 gold ?Watch to a security strap and put it on a pedestal by the front entrance!

I *am* interested to see how this is designed, and in fairness to Angie, some new design is necessitated by the need for some increase in security to deter the simple smash and grab that is used against jewelry stores. Tough to boost an iPhone - they have kill switches - but a Apple Watch Edition can simply be melted for the metal. Which makes me wonder - will Apple Watch have an ID in it to deter theft?

• Reply 22 of 132
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Will losing Bridger over Ahrendts be worth it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I was a skeptic too but changing the colour of the shirts and putting in new seats, well that just blew me away.

If the Apple Watch is going to be successful, it will have to appeal to fashion-conscious women, as well as men buying for their fashion-conscious spouses and girlfriends. A different approach is needed from what worked to sell iPhones, Macs, and iPads. Those product lines (particularly the iPhone) mostly sell themselves now, so I think Apple will be more experimental. What the store looks like and its atmosphere affect sales of fashion items.

• Reply 23 of 132
    Add gym equipment, a day care center and a food court. How exciting!
  • Reply 24 of 132
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    kpom wrote: »
    My guess is that we'll see some subtle cues from her Burberry days. I don't think she'll try to turn Apple Stores into Burberry stores (Ron Johnson can tell you what trying to turn JC Penney stores in Apple Stores did), but as Apple expands into watches, and potentially other fashion products, we may see window displays, seating areas (not present in Burberry stores, but common in high-end department stores), and more emphasis on aesthetics. The updated blue shirts are a small sign of that.

Watches are often displayed in glass cases with an attendant standing behind them to hand out a watch at a time for one to try on* on which to try. Do you think Apple will go that route, adopt ?Watch to their current setup, or do something entirely different? How will they demo their ?Watch Edition in stores so they are safe? Will they have all the options available in all stores?

* Can't end a sentence with a preposition¡ *gasp* :embarrass
  • Reply 25 of 132
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    With the impending Apple Watch; a redesign is necessary. Otherwise more breakins, thefts, etc.
  • Reply 26 of 132
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member

Apple Cafe comes to mind as well. Crazy yes; but every time I visit it would be nice to have a place relax and check out new products. Embed an Ipad in each table and explore Apple Tech.

• Reply 27 of 132
    rs9 wrote: »
    Apple Cafe comes to mind as well. Crazy yes; but every time I visit it would be nice to have a place relax and check out new products. Embed an Ipad in each table and explore Apple Tech.

Have you been to the cafeteria in an IKEA? It's more quiet to walk around the store. I'd imagine that an Apple Cafe would be more packed and louder than the actual Apple Store, not to mention smelly hipsters and homeless people (sometimes I can't tell the difference) taking up most of the seats at all times.
  • Reply 28 of 132
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Burberry isn't a very feminine shop anyway.
  • Reply 29 of 132
    Apple Stores are one of the most successful retail operations in the world. I love the energy I feel when I walk in, along with the excitement and the clean lines of the store. An area to lounge in is not needed and will only create congestion. Yes, Apple needs to keep the stores visually fresh, but just for the sake of change is not a sound idea. Remember the old saying "If it an't broke, don't fix it."
  • Reply 30 of 132
    I'm getting that "uh-oh" feeling.
  • Reply 31 of 132

Why change if ain't broken? I have visited many Apple stores around the world and I think they are done exceptionally well. It is looking like she is making changes because she feels she has to make some executive decision, same with the executive line ups. Just because someone doesn't agree with you, let's just fire them - Not a good idea. I hope she doesn't turn out to be like that Brit fellow.

• Reply 32 of 132

Mr. Cook had better keep a close eye on Ahrendts she may be more of a problem then her predecessor. She should be concentrating on continuing to provide a "World Class" customer service experience for Apple customers and potential customers. A seating area isn't going to accomplish that.

• Reply 33 of 132

I can't wait to see what changes they make. Change is definitely needed, as the Apple Watch is dramatically different than any other major Apple product, both in philosophy (emphasizing personal style as a feature, and not just a natural consequence of good design), and in the way it needs to be sold (in a personal way, interacting intimately with sales staff, trying on different bands, etc.). I see Apple deploying an 'Appleized' (i.e. minimalist) version of a jewelry counter and space, likely in the center of the store, with warmer, more inviting features, such as a rounded counter, darker woods, darker/warmer surrounding floor (wood?), and a minimal amount of nearby seating that will function more as decoration than actual function, suggesting to the customer a sense of luxury and relaxation, and allowing the customer to feel comfortable slowing down so they can take their time building an emotional connection to the watch.

A couple other features would also make sense:

-Area to display wearables, such as smart clothing.

-Counter at the front showing watches on display mode, under glass, and thus acting as a tease, encouraging customers to progress to the watch counter where they can actually handle one.

-Different uniforms for Apple Watch sales people, I'd guess navy blue button down shirts and black pants.

• Reply 34 of 132
    radster360 wrote: »
    Why change if ain't broken? I have visited many Apple stores around the world and I think they are done exceptionally well.

How does ?Watch fit into this? Should they showcase these $350 to a rumoured $5,000+ watches like they do the iPod Nano or iPhone cases, or do they need something that works specifically with that product?

I'm guessing ?Watch needs something that works specifically for it, which is exactly what Apple has done with every product they sell. Case in point, idealizing a UI and OS for the device it's on, even though they are mostly the same codebase at their core.

Remember the recent stories of Apple adding new safes for the more expensive ?Watch Edition watches? Surely they're current system of storage isn't broken, but I think it's smart that they are adding a new system for products made with precious metals.
  • Reply 35 of 132
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Add gym equipment, a day care center and a food court. How exciting!

Clearly Ikea is going the way of Radio Shack. Hey, this obviously calls for Apple apple pie!

• Reply 36 of 132
    kpom wrote: »
    Quote:

If the Apple Watch is going to be successful, it will have to appeal to fashion-conscious women, as well as men buying for their fashion-conscious spouses and girlfriends. A different approach is needed from what worked to sell iPhones, Macs, and iPads. Those product lines (particularly the iPhone) mostly sell themselves now, so I think Apple will be more experimental. What the store looks like and its atmosphere affect sales of fashion items.

All well and good except the vast lion's share of sales and profits will come from the iPhone and the iPad far above the Apple watch.
  • Reply 37 of 132
    captain j wrote: »
    While change can be good, driving out the people behind the most successful retail stores in the world seems somewhat risky.

It's hard to imagine the Apple stores becoming even more upscale-looking than they already are, but apparently Ahrendts has some ideas. Plus, there needs to be some changes to enhance the wearables' shopping experience. I would hope the upset executives left because of a difference of direction the changes rather then over resistance to change.

I do understand that Apple's stores defy all logic with their popularity and success, but it's not magic. Changes won't "break the spell."
  • Reply 38 of 132

They should open Beats Studio stores that have lots of comfy couches, headphones and Starbucks coffee for sale.

Make it a place to hang out and try all the beats hardware.

The stores should all be next to or across from an existing Apple store.

These stores should also have private rooms where you can experience the Apple watch and try different strap combinations.

• Reply 39 of 132
    solipsismy wrote: »
    How does ?Watch fit into this? Should they showcase these $350 to a rumoured $5,000+ watches like they do the iPod Nano or iPhone cases, or do they need something that works specifically with that product?

Obviously this calls for pegboard displays...
  • Reply 40 of 132
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I'm glad they are going to implement seating and have always thought how stupid it is not to have it. It was Steve Jobs' Apple not listening to the customer and thinking more about cost per square foot to cram as many people in as possible.