Rumor: iOS 8.2 will release to the public in March, ahead of April's Apple Watch launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
Apple may lay the groundwork for the April launch of the Apple Watch by debuting iOS 8.2, a software update required to connect the iPhone to the accessory, a month earlier, in March.

Citing a "trusted source," BGR reported on Tuesday that Apple's most recent roadmaps call for iOS 8.2 to become available to the public in March. The pre-release software is current in beta testing for developers, allowing them to create applications for the Apple Watch.

Apple is said to have already asked select developers to submit their Apple Watch apps for testing. The company announced last week that its wrist-worn accessory is on track to ship to customers in April.

The first-generation Apple Watch will require being connected to an iPhone for most of its functions, including utilizing third-party applications. As a result, users will also need to have iOS 8.2 or later installed on their iPhone to use the Apple Watch.

The fifth beta of iOS 8.2, along with Xcode 6.2, was supplied to developers on Monday. They include the latest WatchKit tools to allow creation of third-party Apple Watch applications.

The current public release of iOS is version 8.1.3, made available last week. It addressed a number of bugs, and also reduced the amount of storage required for users to update their device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I think anyone with half a brain and knows about the 8.2 update already knows that it would be released BEFORE the Apple Watch. Because it would be quite dumb otherwise. you wouldn't be able to use your watch until the update came out. You know that's not going to happen. Releasing a little earlier would be even better just to make sure there's no new bugs in the OS before the Apple Watch is released. Negative P.R. wouldn't be good for a launch of a new product.

This is kind of a dumb new topic. How about waiting for a Exact DATE and then post a topic like this. Not a lame Rumor of sometime in March, maybe,... I so much hate rumors.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

I think anyone with half a brain and knows about the 8.2 update already knows that it would be released BEFORE the Apple Watch. Because it would be quite dumb otherwise. you wouldn't be able to use your watch until the update came out. You know that's not going to happen. Releasing a little earlier would be even better just to make sure there's no new bugs in the OS before the Apple Watch is released. Negative P.R. wouldn't be good for a launch of a new product.

This is kind of a dumb new topic. How about waiting for a Exact DATE and then post a topic like this. Not a lame Rumor of sometime in March, maybe,... I so much hate rumors.

You realize you're on a rumor site, right?

• Reply 3 of 10
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Can't wait for "all the people" (aka about five) that complain about the AppleWatch configuration App not being deletable. Just wait. There will be tens of posts about it. Can'tdeletegate Part Deux.

• Reply 4 of 10
    "Trusted" source? Not a well-regarded, well-loved, well-connected source? ;)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Trusted" source? Not a well-regarded, well-loved, well-connected source? image

He's busy cooking up a rumor that Apple had a TV set ready but that they decided not to launch it, because of the risk that it would decapitate children should it fall off a table. All because Jony insisted on chamfered edges.

• Reply 6 of 10
    I really hope 8.2 is coming soon, my iPhone 6+ feels more like an Android (lag and bugs) than I would like.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

You realize you're on a rumor site, right?

Come on, what do you want ... logic? ;)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I guess the three factors that have contributed to Apple's demise in software are their new campus, Jobs's death and the Apple Watch.

There's not much they can do about the first two, but they could at least abandon the latter, if only for all our peace of mind.

It's all very well for Cook to say that he finds his Apple Watch indispensable, but as a multi-billionaire, he lives in a different world to the rest of us. One wonders what else he finds indispensable; his private jet, perhaps? Also, he's not too far off becoming an old man, so all the health stuff appeals to him.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I guess the three factors that have contributed to Apple's demise in software are their new campus, Jobs's death and the Apple Watch.

There's not much they can do about the first two, but they could at least abandon the latter, if only for all our peace of mind.

It's all very well for Cook to say that he finds his Apple Watch indispensable, but as a multi-billionaire, he lives in a different world to the rest of us. One wonders what else he finds indispensable; his private jet, perhaps? Also, he's not too far off becoming an old man, so all the health stuff appeals to him.

Is this missing an /s?

• Reply 10 of 10

Whenever I start feeling like we humans have our shit together I just jump on the ol internet and find myself shaking my head within minutes.