HTC disses Apple, Samsung in new rap video

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    I have no words....
  • Reply 22 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Apple appears to be the track's next target, with similar criticism: "Your phone was all glass / Why you change your tune now," G raps, seemingly referring to the gradual shift from the iPhone 4's glass back to the iPhone 6's all-metal rear.

The iPhone 4S in 2011 was glass.
    The HTC One in 2012 looked like this:

The HTC One in 2013 looked like this as a direct response to the 2012 iPhone 5:

And they have the cheek to say Apple copied them. Tacky advert and lying. Why don't companies like Samsung, Microsoft and HTC understand that lying to customers and putting out really low budget ads isn't the way to go about this? Sony has the right idea:

[VIDEO]

But that style needs to be directed the right way into something that customers care about. HTC makes nice enough products but nobody cares enough about them and these ads aren't the way to change that.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    You just know that this commercial was born at a board meeting, where one of directors
    was complaining about all the foul language his granddaughter has learned from her rap albums, and somebody suggested that:

"Hey, why don't we use some of that coloured folks-music that all the kids like these days, in a commercial?!? That's a great way of showing them that HTC is hip and with it! To really show that we ain't squares, we could get one of them rap stars that's popular with kids these days, like MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice or whomever, to star in it!"
  • Reply 24 of 38
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    The worst part is, that HTC actually used to make some good hardware.

They're just handicapped by an idiotic management, whose automatic response to changing market conditions, seems to be to copy at random from competitors: Phablets and big screens from Samsung, beveled edges from Apple, etc. They never stop to think about the whole experience.

Even if I was in the market for an Android phone, I'd think twice before getting it from a company with such a comically inept management like HTC.

Among their greatest blunders:

* Starting a halfhearted movie/iTunes store: HTC Watch, and then abandon it.

* Make the first iPad Mini two years before Apple, and everybody else made 7-8 inch tablets. Price it at 1000$, and quickly abandon it.

* Bought 50% stake in Beats. Started to release phones that came with Beats in ear headsets. Sold the stake for 120 million dollars or thereabouts, two years before Apple paid 3 BILLION dollars for Beats.

* Spend hundreds of millions of dollars on an advertisement/endorsement deal with Robert Downey Jr. (sure, he's awesome but WTF?!? WHY?). Make super ambitious, super weird, minute long commercials that make viewers go: Whaaa?!?

* Bet everything on new super phone: M7. Steal proprietary features from other companies, that leads to import bans, months of delays, and a redesign of the phone.

* Routinely shaft customers by abandoning phones the same year they're released, never deliver promised updates.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    v900 wrote: »
    You just know that this commercial was born at a board meeting, where one of directors
    was complaining about all the foul language his granddaughter has learned from her rap albums, and somebody suggested that:

"Hey, why don't we use some of that coloured folks-music that all the kids like these days, in a commercial?!? That's a great way of showing them that HTC is hip and with it! To really show that we ain't squares, we could get one of them rap stars that's popular with kids these days, like MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice or whomever, to star in it!"

...and then someone else pipes up and says, "And make sure to include a wigger in the ad too."
  • Reply 26 of 38
    At least they are not over spending their ad budgets... looks like a home made college video...
  • Reply 27 of 38

Holy sh1t ! - surely this is a 'piss take' ?   wtf ??

• Reply 28 of 38
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    v900 wrote: »
    The worst part is, that HTC actually used to make some good hardware.

They're just handicapped by an idiotic management, whose automatic response to changing market conditions, seems to be to copy at random from competitors: Phablets and big screens from Samsung, beveled edges from Apple, etc. They never stop to think about the whole experience.

Even if I was in the market for an Android phone, I'd think twice before getting it from a company with such a comically inept management like HTC.

Among their greatest blunders:

* Starting a halfhearted movie/iTunes store: HTC Watch, and then abandon it.

* Make the first iPad Mini two years before Apple, and everybody else made 7-8 inch tablets. Price it at 1000$, and quickly abandon it.

* Bought 50% stake in Beats. Started to release phones that came with Beats in ear headsets. Sold the stake for 120 million dollars or thereabouts, two years before Apple paid 3 BILLION dollars for Beats.

* Spend hundreds of millions of dollars on an advertisement/endorsement deal with Robert Downey Jr. (sure, he's awesome but WTF?!? WHY?). Make super ambitious, super weird, minute long commercials that make viewers go: Whaaa?!?

* Bet everything on new super phone: M7. Steal proprietary features from other companies, that leads to import bans, months of delays, and a redesign of the phone.

* Routinely shaft customers by abandoning phones the same year they're released, never deliver promised updates.

HTC got it start doing manufacturing of phones for Motorola, Motorola use to have them design and build low cost phones for them and everything they ever learned about making phones came from motorola then they decide to strick out on their own and bit the hand that feed them. Motorola cut them of from a design standpoint and they had to figure it out on their own which leaves then where they are today.

This is the fundamental problem with US companies doing business with Asian companies one they they are your manufacturing partner and the next day they are your competitor. Foxconn learn their lesson earily on and tried the same thing then realize it was loosing game so they just focus on being a good manufacturing partner and taking their 10% margin without having to deal with competing with their customers.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member

• Reply 30 of 38

Even the 'toons are aghast!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

• Reply 31 of 38
    Lame…
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Lolololol...nothing beats the A8, sorry.

Here's some classic Apple vids:

In short, Apple is funnier.

Wow, you only had to go back 30 years to find something form Apple as cringe-worthy as HTC's latest ad?

• Reply 33 of 38
    This is just painful to watch ???? hahahahahaha this is just the shittiest attempt at dissing I've ever seen. And I liked the htc one it was my second favorite next to the iPhone but this just made htc loose a lot of respect points from me....
  • Reply 34 of 38
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Last clip say is all ... Lol
  • Reply 35 of 38
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member

No matter how silly this is, there are people out there who will believe anything they see or hear. 

The biggest problem is, if this commercial or whatever it is ever airs, the claims will probably never be challenged, and even if it is, performance is relative to individual user’s needs. Considering it looks more like a sarcastic video in light of the true state of the industry, it looks more like an embarrassment instead of the hype it was supposed to be.

The biggest tell with all hype on display here is what they don’t mention: that the OS is a hodgepodge of standards across the platform with proprietary ones thrown in to make some devices somewhat consistent. On top of that, good luck getting an OS update 1 year down the road, much less 3 year as is Apple’s standard. The depreciation on Android phones is huge because of this, and that’s why in 2 years, when you look at what it is worth, it might be worth, you would be lucky to get $50 for it. The iPhones will depreciate a lot more slowly — out to 4 years for ~$50. Specific numbers? I am not sure when this video was made, but…

…the benchmarks show the 5s vs. the M8 and again the 6 series against the One M8 that it actually runs much better, and is more power efficient. Also, everyone says the iPhone’s camera are better. Then again the One M8’s display is better. But the iPhones are thinner! and on and on…

But despite the back and forth, it’s all a matter of personal preference, and it would be silly to get too worked up over it. At the end of the day, if someone is happy with their phone, be it an M8 or an iPhone, does it really matter? Must everyone need to think their phone or choice of product to use must be “The BEST” in order to feel superior? A lot of Americans seem to, but stop buying into the marketing manipulation that products used are reflective of the quality of person one is. If there was one right answer in product choice, we would have 1 type of car made by 1 manufacturer, one type of phone, 1 type of toothpaste, etc. So, I’m not worried about it. If anything, I would by worried about the job of whomever approved the white guy posing and looking silly as hell in the video though. Is that guy HTC’s “Balmer” or something?

• Reply 36 of 38
    Htc is doing pretty good, till this sad video came out, I assume this insisting the m9 which will assumedly be annocened in less then a month.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Oh Gawd, how are they even alive when this is the best they can do?!

• Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

Um, wow. Like, wow. Ok. Wow.

Bow?