Federal court levies near-$1M fine against Ryan Seacrest's 'Typo' iPhone keyboard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

TouchID on my iP6+ has been flawless.  I really didn't realize how often I was typing in a passcode until I stopped doing it.

I feel the same way about my iPad Air 2... which serves as a performance tool.  Sure beats the heck out of a passcode.

• Reply 22 of 50
    Touch ID rocks. I use it all the time. Only a lazy dumbass wouldn't take the 2 minutes it takes to set it up when they get a new iDevice and use it.
  • Reply 23 of 50

I have found if my hands are the least bit damp it doesn't work for me. YMMV.

• Reply 24 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Finally a judge that knows blatant copying when he sees it. If only Apple could have had him in the Samsung case.

• Reply 25 of 50

'I'm smart. I don't use it. Therefore, others (smart people) don't use it.'

I'm not that smart. I use my home/ID  button probably 100 times a day, mostly to return to the home screen.

I did check out the Typo video for the iPad. I may get one of these...the keyboard I mean!

http://vimeo.com/typo/review/117312020/6df5223798

• Reply 26 of 50
    sflocal wrote: »

Myself included.  TouchID on my iP6+ has been flawless.  I really didn't realize how often I was typing in a passcode until I stopped doing it.  TouchID just works....   you hearing that Samsung?
    It 's funny, how often I find myself trying to unlock my 1st gen iPad Air with TouchID. ????
  • Reply 27 of 50
    ascii wrote: »
    Finally a judge that knows blatant copying when he sees it. If only Apple could have had him in the Samsung case.

If Typo would have had the judge in the Samsung case it would be 20 years before they had to pay the 800K to Blackberry and the final judgement would have been for 300K.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I often make fun of Blackberry and especially some of their delusional followers on the crackberry forum, but fair is fair, and in this instance, I side with Blackberry, because that keyboard is just a total rip off. I said that same thing many months ago when this topic first surfaced in this forum.

• Reply 29 of 50
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    They didn't even make enough to cover the infringement. All for a dead OS/company.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Words fail me. I have nothing nice to say about this post so I won't go beyond "your experience is NOT typical".

But what IS typical?

• Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonAnnArbor View Post

I don't think the touch ID sensor is near as universally used as you might assume -- I had a Typo for my iPhone 5 before I got my iPhone 6 plus (which there is no typo keyboard for or I would have it too)...and I have to say I never once used the touch ID sensor, nor do I know anybody in my company that does...its a gimmick that I don't think is something everyone uses....and clearly for most people who get these keyboards the physical keypad is far more important that a touch sensor...

A gimmick. Wow.

Please educate yourself before sounding stupid.

Thanks.

• Reply 32 of 50
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I think the users on AppleInsider are not typical. Most people do not relentlessly defend an Apple technology. They may or may not like it. Touch ID is definitely one of those where it's VERY common for people not to like it. They are not very good for climates that get winter. If it's cold, it doesn't work. If your skin is too dry, it doesn't work. If you have lotion on your hands, it doesn't work. or me at least, the success rate is less than 50%. At least I gave it a few months before I gave up on it. My wife turned hers off by the end of the first day.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I don't think the touch ID sensor is near as universally used as you might assume -- I had a Typo for my iPhone 5 before I got my iPhone 6 plus (which there is no typo keyboard for or I would have it too)...and I have to say I never once used the touch ID sensor, nor do I know anybody in my company that does...its a gimmick that I don't think is something everyone uses....and clearly for most people who get these keyboards the physical keypad is far more important that a touch sensor...

Not on the iPhone 5 anyway. Moreover, Touch ID is required for Apple Pay. Further, typing in passwords suck. Touch ID rocks.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonAnnArbor View Post

Reminds me of his maintenance log entry on southwest airlines:

Pilot: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.

Maintenance: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

• Reply 35 of 50
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ascii wrote: »

This was a much simpler case. One device, one patent.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I do not remember what BB is claiming is unique about their keyboard, Arguably you can say there is plenty of prior artwork for a keyboard not sure how BB got a patent on a keyboard, i know the Patent Officer seems to allow anything to be patent these days.
  • Reply 37 of 50

I know people said it above, but I am kind of curious how you activite the phone when it is in idle mode as well as to unlock it. I know there is no requirement to set up touchID as well as putting in a password. But I would imagine your company if you are using your phone for company business requires the phone to lock.

Also you know without have touchID set you can not use the find my phone and remote wipe feature that Apple has if the phone is lost or stolen.

It actually sound like you never used an iphone with touchID.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I know people said it above, but I am kind of curious how you activite the phone when it is in idle mode as well as to unlock it. I know there is no requirement to set up touchID as well as putting in a password. But I would imagine your company if you are using your phone for company business requires the phone to lock.

Also you know without have touchID set you can not use the find my phone and remote wipe feature that Apple has if the phone is lost or stolen.

It actually sound like you never used an iphone with touchID.

Well, he did say it was an iPhone 5, which didn't have TouchID.  I use mine all the time on my 6 plus, and it works 99% of the time.  Much quicker and easier than using the passcode.  Now I would have to agree with others that have posted that if you lotion your hands, or have gloves on outside, sure it may not work.  One thing to try is to lotion your hands, and then select a fingerprint to train the sensor with your lotion on. 

Not directed at you Maestro, but you do know you can have 5 different fingers loaded, right?

• Reply 39 of 50

Really?  I live in Canada and we have our share of cold weather, I am contstantly putting lotion on my hands so they don't get dry.  I got an iP6+ 5 weeks ago and Touch ID is flawless.  Love it.

• Reply 40 of 50
    goofy1958 wrote: »

Well, he did say it was an iPhone 5, which didn't have TouchID.  I use mine all the time on my 6 plus, and it works 99% of the time.  Much quicker and easier than using the passcode.  Now I would have to agree with others that have posted that if you lotion your hands, or have gloves on outside, sure it may not work.  One thing to try is to lotion your hands, and then select a fingerprint to train the sensor with your lotion on. 

Not directed at you Maestro, but you do know you can have 5 different fingers loaded, right?

Actually he said when is got his iphone6 he never used the touchID, not sure how you do that yeah you can keep hitting the power button on the side to wake the phone, and I assume no security, but also how do you quit or exit an app. The person is obviously touching it more than they think.

Yes I learned recently you can record more than one finger which I need to do, since I have been finding myself using other fingers more often than not.