Apple releases first beta of OS X 10.10.3 with debut of Yosemite's new Photos app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"as Apple has advised pro photographers".

Well, no, Apple did no such thing. That link goes to an ADOBE effort to migrate people....

• Reply 22 of 46
    I still miss many features from iPhoto for iOS! The Photos App is just not up to par and was a mistake to remove it before a suitable replacement was ready to go.

I just hope that the "advanced" features of Photos for OS X make their way—soon— to the iOS counterpart. I spent money once to get iPhoto for iOS and I'm waiting for Apple to bring that value back! Not some other third party developer.
  • Reply 23 of 46

In the Macworld article, it says: "... click the Add button in the edit area and you find such additional options as Histogram, Sharpen, Definition, Noise Reduction, Vignette, White Balance, and Levels. Adobe Photoshop (or even Lightroom) it may not be, but if you find iPhoto’s editing controls a little underwhelming, you should be far happier with what Photos offers."

Good to know that there is at least a few other editing options, other than the very basic ones you see in the screenshots. To be honest, I think this might appeal to a number of semi-pro photographers. Photoshop is incredible software, but many photographers who use it really do only use a limit set of features (when compared to how many a graphic designer will use). 

?Looking forward to playing with this!

• Reply 24 of 46

Hopefully they start this revamping process on the entire iLife and iWork suite. That includes iTunes.

• Reply 25 of 46
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Hopefully they start this revamping process on the entire iLife and iWork suite. That includes iTunes.

Great point. Definitely agree with the revamping iLife.  Didn't iWork get the revamp treatment last year or year before with the unification of the file format?

• Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Great point. Definitely agree with the revamping iLife.  Didn't iWork get the revamp treatment last year or year before with the unification of the file format?

I suppose that's true. But iLife could use it.

• Reply 27 of 46
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

So far with this update:

1. My Retina iMac froze on restart....thankfully it came back.

2. My Mac mini is in constant kernal panic boot state, and won't start.

Thanks a lot Apple. Beta or not, thats unacceptable.

• Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

So far with this update:

But it's a beta. You shouldn't expect to experience zero problems with a beta.

• Reply 29 of 46
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    "Apple has advised pro photographers to transition to Adobe's Lightroom."

Please fire the idiots who keep repeating this misinformation. 

Adobe \ne Apple

• Reply 30 of 46
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacMad View Post

In the Macworld article, it says: "... click the Add button in the edit area and you find such additional options as Histogram, Sharpen, Definition, Noise Reduction, Vignette, White Balance, and Levels. Adobe Photoshop (or even Lightroom) it may not be, but if you find iPhoto’s editing controls a little underwhelming, you should be far happier with what Photos offers."

Good to know that there is at least a few other editing options, other than the very basic ones you see in the screenshots. To be honest, I think this might appeal to a number of semi-pro photographers. Photoshop is incredible software, but many photographers who use it really do only use a limit set of features (when compared to how many a graphic designer will use). 

?Looking forward to playing with this!

There is definitely some disagreement between the various "first look" articles on the level of edit controls available. I expect MacWorld staffers were a bit more thorough in kicking the tires. So if the above statement is correct, then as far as edit controls I think I'd be fine with Photos. But organizationally, I think I'm may find it horribly lacking. Personally, here is what I would struggle with:

1) Apple's idea of automatically organizing my photos into Years/Collections/Moments is useless. It may be fine for someone's selfie collection or casual snapshots with my iPhone. But this change to the Photos app in iOS 7 is the worst part of that iOS update (personally speaking). It makes the photos app on my phone nearly useless. It's a bit more tolerable on my iPad. I could just ignore that tab in the UI, but then...

2) Based on the screenshots in the articles, the Albums tab is going to be equally useless. There doesn't appear to be any way to sort, organize, or group the albums. Perhaps there is some way to do this in the sidebar MacWorld mentioned (all the other reviews seemed to have missed this completely). Does nobody at Apple have more than a couple dozen Albums? If you have more than 100, being stuck with non-sortable icon view on a mutable grid is less than ideal.

If the sidebar allows you to organize the albums into some sort of hierarchical view (similar to Aperture's folders/projects/albums) then we might have something to work with. If not, I'll be sticking with Aperture. I don't consider myself a pro photographer by any means (not even an "enthusiast), but I do want to be able to control how I organize my photo collection.

A couple of other concerns:

1) One of the articles mentioned that you can view geolocation info but can't add it. News flash, Apple, not every camera has GPS, and GPS doesn't work in all locations.

2) It appears iCloud syncing is all-or-nothing. You can't chose to sync a subset of your photos. So, can you still sync photos via iTunes by selecting which Albums to sync? The two-way edit/sync the new Photos/iCloud syncing offers is cool, and it would be a shame to lose that, but not if it means I have to upload my entire library. Sorry Apple, but I'm not paying $20/month for storage.

3) Loss of star ratings is a bummer. I use that quite heavily to quickly sort through new sets of photos downloaded from my camera. I want to be able to flag bad and so-so photos, not just "Favorites".

In summary: editing tools...better than I expected and probably sufficient; organizational tools...sadly, about what I expected from Apple, and insufficient. Of course, this is just a beta, and the hands-on reviews barely scratch the surface. So perhaps that sidebar view will save the day.

• Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mgz View Post

"Apple has advised pro photographers to transition to Adobe's Lightroom"

Pretty sure Apple never advised pro photographers to do that. My take on it is that Apple likely feels there's enough advanced editing available in the upcoming Photos app for 99% of pro/advanced photographers, and they're just not interested in the other 1%. 

If you really believe this, then you are just another point and shooter who wouldn't know their way around an f-stop or sRAW. Leave the serious photography conversations to people who know what they need. This is software for the selfie crowd.

• Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mgz View Post

I'm talking about the pro/semi-pro users that use Aperture already. I'm saying I imagine that the Photos app that's coming out will do enough that 99% of THOSE USERS (I am one of them) will be fine using the Photos app. 

And I imagine over time, the Photos app will regain additional editing capabilities, just like FCP X has regained things that were lost in it's initial X release.

Please stop talking...

• Reply 33 of 46

just as a side thought;

Apple is getting rid of iPhoto / Aperture and replacing it with this new Photos app.  Any chance that Apple does the same with its video and music creation software?

replace Garageband / Logic Pro X with Audio app

replace iMovie / FCPX with Video app

all created using the new UXKit & having a unified experience across, iPhone, iPad, Mac, iCloud?

• Reply 34 of 46
    canukstorm wrote: »
    just as a side thought;

Apple is getting rid of iPhoto / Aperture and replacing it with this new Photos app.  Any chance that Apple does the same with its video and music creation software?

replace Garageband / Logic Pro X with Audio app
    replace iMovie / FCPX with Video app

all created using the new UXKit & having a unified experience across, iPhone, iPad, Mac, iCloud?

No.

Logic Pro X just got a huge upgrade and it's target is strictly professionals.

Unless everyone and their dog wants to make professional tracks get used to GarageBand only. Most likely Apple will extend Logic Pro X with Final Cut Pro X, like seamless tracking across project layers and splits.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    bugsnw wrote: »
    mdrift.... post of the month. Thank you for the laugh and coffee splatter.

Fellow Washingtonians think alike. And as an alum at NeXT and Apple I would be one of those antagonistic voices to Craig and others about how neutered and pandering these apps have become to nothing but a throw away society.

I understand the consumerism, but when all you do is cater to the douches who can't get enough of their own self-love you erode your vision of using computing to advance society.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Fellow Washingtonians think alike. And as an alum at NeXT and Apple I would be one of those antagonistic voices to Craig and others about how neutered and pandering these apps have become to nothing but a throw away society.

I understand the consumerism, but when all you do is cater to the douches who can't get enough of their own self-love you erode your vision of using computing to advance society.

Actually,  I think Eddie Cue is in charge of software applications & services.

• Reply 37 of 46

99 cents a month for 20gb dude

• Reply 38 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    pmz wrote: »
    So far with this update:

Being a signatory to the developer NDA you are not discussing this in an open forum of course ... cough cough ...
  • Reply 39 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    No.

Logic Pro X just got a huge upgrade and it's target is strictly professionals.

Unless everyone and their dog wants to make professional tracks get used to GarageBand only. Most likely Apple will extend Logic Pro X with Final Cut Pro X, like seamless tracking across project layers and splits.

Agreed ... so why not Aperture Pro X? (That's not aimed at you, rather Apple).
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Lightroom for advanced users and pros. Apple Photos for all others. Very simple