AppleInsider podcast discusses OS X Photos, Apple Watch news & net neutrality

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news, including the beta release of Photos for OS X, an inside look at the Apple Watch companion app, and discussion of Apple's mysterious camera-equipped vehicles.

This week, AppleInsider staff member members Daniel Eran Dilger, Victor Marks and Stephen Robles discuss the top stories:

New Photos app beta for OS X
Apple Watch companion app
Tom Wheeler's proposal to the FCC
Apple testing mysterious camera-equipped vehicles
Neil Young's Pono Player
Samsung Galaxy S6 teaser

The show is available on Apple's iTunes. You can listen to the podcast and subscribe via this link:

You can also listen to it embedded via SoundCloud below:

Show note links: We'd appreciate your feedback and comments, as well as any questions that we can answer on future episodes. Send your responses to the AppleInsider Podcast at [email protected] or follow or tweet at us @appleinsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Flickr sycning? Really?

The Photos app is brilliant. It fits perfectly with today's products. Photos on the Mac, iPhone, and iPad is meant to be a viewer for all of your photos.

Who the hell are these people that say, "I wish it was more complicated and clunky like it used to be, where nothing is in sync and I get to (have to) choose what it is in the cloud.

No real human beings want that. They want what Apple has delivered. All their Photos. Everywhere. Without manual effort. Its finally there.

If its not what you want, and you don't "get it" than acknowledge that what you want is something inferior and quiet down. Or go educate yourself on what makes the most sense.

Don't tell me about Aperture. I don't care. Aperture was a dog, just like iPhoto, and an imitation pro-photo app.

I die laughing at the so-called "pro" photographers that slobber over the forums with their Aperture hoorah.

Newsflash: If you use Aperture, you are not a pro photographer. You are an imitator, and the worst kind. Especially if you now MOAN about its discontinuation in favor of a better Photo viewer app.

You people are so funny. Apple knows how many people use Aperture, and every app. When that number becomes pathetically low, they stop development on the app, and focus development on the broader market. Applause Apple. You do what makes sense, and not what idiot bloggers think you should do.

Photos is for iPhone Photography. The single most popular Photography on the planet.

If you need semi-pro edits, use Photos...or Lightroom. Doesn't matter. If you know what you're doing, both can accomplish it.

If you need pro-editing, use Photoshop. Its the best in class for actual pro editing. It always has been and always will be.

Oh but thats right, you're not ACTUALLY pros, so can't afford/justify using a professional editing suite.

Got it.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Flickr sycning? Really?

The Photos app is brilliant. It fits perfectly with today's products. Photos on the Mac, iPhone, and iPad is meant to be a viewer for all of your photos.

Who the hell are these people that say, "I wish it was more complicated and clunky like it used to be, where nothing is in sync and I get to (have to) choose what it is in the cloud.

No real human beings want that. They want what Apple has delivered. All their Photos. Everywhere. Without manual effort. Its finally there.

If its not what you want, and you don't "get it" than acknowledge that what you want is something inferior and quiet down. Or go educate yourself on what makes the most sense.

Don't tell me about Aperture. I don't care. Aperture was a dog, just like iPhoto, and an imitation pro-photo app.

I die laughing at the so-called "pro" photographers that slobber over the forums with their Aperture hoorah.

Newsflash: If you use Aperture, you are not a pro photographer. You are an imitator, and the worst kind. Especially if you now MOAN about its discontinuation in favor of a better Photo viewer app.

You people are so funny. Apple knows how many people use Aperture, and every app. When that number becomes pathetically low, they stop development on the app, and focus development on the broader market. Applause Apple. You do what makes sense, and not what idiot bloggers think you should do.

Photos is for iPhone Photography. The single most popular Photography on the planet.

If you need semi-pro edits, use Photos...or Lightroom. Doesn't matter. If you know what you're doing, both can accomplish it.

If you need pro-editing, use Photoshop. Its the best in class for actual pro editing. It always has been and always will be.

Oh but thats right, you're not ACTUALLY pros, so can't afford/justify using a professional editing suite.

Got it.

I was going to listen to entire podcast before responding but you sound like a fool from your sweeping statements. Millions continue to use Aperture. Some are pros and some are not. Same as Lightroom and Photoshop. Apple has been shifting closer to consumers for the past 10 years but they have a long way to go before they abandon pro users. Just look at Logic Pro. Before last week all the whiners said Apple was out of the pro audio business and then they released Logic update so those people all shut up. Apple is secretive about hardware and software mores than any other company so everything you think about their plans and yours could change the next morning.

Since Apple is forcing a migration away from Aperture, Photos will create a real question for all kinds of customers. Same thing happened when Apple shifted away from Final Cut Pro. Everyone got pissy like you and said that they were neglecting the pro users and then when FCPX came out, everyone called it iMovie and a toy. Well they were wrong. So are you. I use all of these programs. I am a pro. I also use both a DSLR and iPhone for pro work. Aperture was/is great but I will be  checking out Photos and hopefully it will be enough for me.

• Reply 3 of 24
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

I was going to listen to entire podcast before responding but you sound like a fool from your sweeping statements. Millions continue to use Aperture. Some are pros and some are not. Same as Lightroom and Photoshop. Apple has been shifting closer to consumers for the past 10 years but they have a long way to go before they abandon pro users. Just look at Logic Pro. Before last week all the whiners said Apple was out of the pro audio business and then they released Logic update so those people all shut up. Apple is secretive about hardware and software mores than any other company so everything you think about their plans and yours could change the next morning.

Since Apple is forcing a migration away from Aperture, Photos will create a real question for all kinds of customers. Same thing happened when Apple shifted away from Final Cut Pro. Everyone got pissy like you and said that they were neglecting the pro users and then when FCPX came out, everyone called it iMovie and a toy. Well they were wrong. So are you. I use all of these programs. I am a pro. I also use both a DSLR and iPhone for pro work. Aperture was/is great but I will be  checking out Photos and hopefully it will be enough for me.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm being intentionally condescending toward the people whining about Aperture's discontinuation. It is an imitation pro-editing App, and if the usage of the program warranted continued development, it would still exist.

Stop comparing it to Logic or Final Cut. Apple still offers current modern interactions of both. And they never stopped doing so. 

Aperture is dead in the water, and they are not going to waste efforts on pro-photo when they have never really done it well to begin with.

• Reply 4 of 24

We're really this upset over a photo program?

If it's so important, get an older version and run your photo editing on an older Mac you don't update, should compatibility be broken in a later OS X version.

• Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

If it's so important, get an older version and run your photo editing on an older Mac you don't update, should compatibility be broken in a later OS X version.

No kidding, completely agree. Some people, LOL!

• Reply 6 of 24
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Loved the net neutrality segment guys.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Thanks. Also, I forgot to mention on the show but the one feature I do hope they bring back is star ratings. That was present in iPhoto, Aperture and was something I found useful in my workflows (iTunes too). 

• Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Loved the net neutrality segment guys.

Thanks! Having consistent frustrations with my own ISP, net neutrality is something I'm keeping a close eye on. Here was my article covering the topic a few months ago: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/15/inside-the-net-neutrality-dispute-and-why-its-important-to-apple-users

• Reply 9 of 24
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

I can't listen to your podcast. What's up with that?

Are you looking in SoundCloud, iTunes or another podcast app? What country?

• Reply 11 of 24
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Russian Federation. I tried Soundcloud last week and it didn't work. Now I'm using Podcasts app and neither episodes are downloading.

Let us know if you're able to listen here: https://itunes.apple.com/ru/podcast/apple-insider-podcast/id963144241

• Reply 13 of 24
  • Reply 14 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Flickr sycning? Really?

Got it.

Fucking epic post, and right on the money. The Photos app looks awesome, and has more features and options than I thought it would. The fluidity looks ridiculous. The hands-on are all positive. But those who love to bitch and whine will find any excuse to do so. As for the "lol everyone has been doing this already"- uh, no. Nobody has a product like this. Google+? You have to use their slow as ****, trashy social network to access and edit the photos. The experience is clunky and horrible. This perfect mesh of native apps and the cloud is the right approach. 

• Reply 15 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    pmz wrote: »
    Flickr sycning? Really?

Got it.

It is pretty obvious you are not a photographer and don't really understand the subject.

Yes Photos is pretty awesome, but only developers know that right? Photoshop isn't a tool for 'photography' as such, Lightroom and Aperture and DxO are. There are lots of good web sites you can learn all about it if you care to take the time.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It was a lot smoother than the last one, fewer awkward pauses. Maybe you had a video linkup this time so you could see when each other had finished speaking. 

With the advent of UXKit, it seems they want Mac apps to not be entirely separately written apps from the iPad versions, but basically the same app with a few extra options here and there that are made possible by the more powerful CPU and extra memory. Time will tell whether that is successful or whether it just results in Mac apps being less fully features than Windows, thus allowing Windows to make a comeback.

• Reply 17 of 24
    I enjoyed listening to the whole podcast. Good conversation, good topics.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    I think three people worked better than two.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Got it.

I am a pro photographer and Aperture is excellent for digital asset management. No other program comes close to matching it's ease of use, not even Lightroom, or Adobe's Bridge. Photoshop is where I craft select images that I want to publish, print, and sell. Not every photo requires the Photoshop treatment. Photoshop does not let me add keywords to images, create albums, projects, and folders to organize the thousands of images I must manage. This is where Aperture excels. And remember, Aperture preceded Lightroom and set the stage for tools that allow non-destructive editing of images. 

• Reply 20 of 24
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    flipkal wrote: »
    pmz wrote: »

Got it.
    I am a pro photographer and Aperture is excellent for digital asset management. No other program comes close to matching it's ease of use, not even Lightroom, or Adobe's Bridge. Photoshop is where I craft select images that I want to publish, print, and sell. Not every photo requires the Photoshop treatment. Photoshop does not let me add keywords to images, create albums, projects, and folders to organize the thousands of images I must manage. This is where Aperture excels. And remember, Aperture preceded Lightroom and set the stage for tools that allow non-destructive editing of images. 

We all need to excuse PMZ as he has no idea what Aperture does. If he did he would not be making a complete fool of himself by posting his rant.