Insider advises Apple investors to brace for 50% plunge in iPad sales this quarter

Comments

• Reply 41 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not figured out ? yet?

Probably doesn't own any Apple products, hard to Opt-Shift-K on a Chromebook or Pee Cee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

I think a leveling out was always in the cards. Every new product category eventually reaches its saturation point. I use my iPad 2 every day. People love their iPads but they are so good at what they do that older models are still great for most people.

It would be a real problem if others were taking any real market share from Apple. When people want a tablet they still choose the iPad over anything else. The numbers will remain the way Macs are now with smaller sales fluctuations per quarters.

I don't know if it's saturated though. Like Tim says, the majority of sales are still going to new buyers. I think the real "issue" is that iPads are too good, there are a lot of iPad 2 users out there still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Who'd have thought 45 MM iPads would be considered a struggle.

Yeah. Soon they'll be telling us that only bringing home 16 billion in profit a quarter is a sign that Apple is beleagured.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Good for users? I doubt it. I would say 90% of iPad owners don't do real works on their iPad. Apple have never wanted to do hybrid device, in this case, it's kind of. Their products are for designated use and give best user experience. iPad would never perform well with laptop functions and vice versa. Tell me any keyboard-mouse combo for tablet out there would perform even close to Apple Magic Pad-mouse combo.

I think a larger iPad might have potential. I already heard someone describe the 11' MBA as an iPad with a keyboard the other day. And more and more people are doing things on iPads they didn't used to.

• Reply 42 of 186
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Who cares if the iPad is dead? There's no such thing as an iPad. It's all the same product. iPod touch, iPhone, iPad. There are only small variations in size and capabilities. But really it's just iOS gizmos.

The "street" should look at the overall growth in iGizmo sales. Who cares if Apple sells fewer of the jumbo sized ones if the phablet-sized ones are selling like crazy?

It would be like investors downgrading Toyota stock because the Camry is selling less than the Corolla, when in fact Toyota makes just as much profit.

I personally thing the analysts get very hung up on this product categories that are really kind of arbitrary, and increasingly so. All I care about as a (very tiny) Apple investor is that Apple is selling more and more gizmos with a really healthy profit margin.

If that sea is rising, then Apple's boat will keep sailing.

• Reply 43 of 186
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Kuo is not an insider!
    Get your headline right !
  • Reply 44 of 186
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Not figured out ? yet?

No why don't you teach us? It's an AWatch.
  • Reply 45 of 186
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    The iPad is the new now-dead iPod - but this time without SJ to create true new demand for the next big thing.

Its purported "replacement"? The pathetic AWatch.

At least give us a new Mac Pro, then.
    I see your trolling carcase was excavated from the Nevada desert at long last... Guess the hole wasn't deep enough.
  • Reply 46 of 186
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The fad that was iPad is dead. I own 2 and that is more than enough. My 13 RMBP is the real deal.
  • Reply 47 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Good for users? I doubt it. I would say 90% of iPad owners don't do real works on their iPad. Apple have never wanted to do hybrid device, in this case, it's kind of. Their products are for designated use and give best user experience. iPad would never perform well with laptop functions and vice versa. Tell me any keyboard-mouse combo for tablet out there would perform even close to Apple Magic Pad-mouse combo.

You are out of touch with reality. I would definitely say that LESS THAN 10% of time spent on a computer (by the masses) requires autocad/excel/intensive doc editing/etc.  i think you're too fixated on the work/industrial aspects of computer usage.  And don't forget that a larger screen iPad will probably come soon.

• Reply 48 of 186
    I tend to believe the longer upgrade cycle theory. Still, it makes you wonder if there is room for a price cut to boost the numbers if they keep falling.
  • Reply 49 of 186
    I'm on a call of duty squad with one of the line workers at Foxconn and he said he overheard Tim Cook talking during a site visit. It's not actually a 12 inch iPad, it's a 12 inch iPhone, they realized the bump in screen size pushed sales figures through the roof so they figured doubling the screen size would double the sales, it's only logical.
  • Reply 50 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

stop sucking Kuo.  The article you linked was from Sept2014.  Literally a few days before the official release.  Of course by then he would have gotten it correct.  But before that Kuo made a ton of mistakes.  

He flatout said the 6+ was going to get delayed

now STFU and stop worshiping your false idol Kuo

Show me in that article where he "flatout" says the 6+ is going to get delayed.

... or STFU.

• Reply 51 of 186
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Depends on your use case :

I use a Mac book pro for stock trading 3 wide screen monitors attached and numbers for my trading journal. I own an iPhone 6+ for out and about and 2 ipad minis which I use for a few apps that are not really all that functionable on iPhone ie notability, and some charting programs for stocks.

I'll probably buy a Mac book air as a backup and for taking on the road, as for iPads I'll prolly but one when my current ones are outmoded but they are perfectly adequate for what I need now. Might buy another ipad next year.
    Just make a 6 inch iPhone and be done with it.  lol
  • Reply 52 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

I tend to believe the longer upgrade cycle theory. Still, it makes you wonder if there is room for a price cut to boost the numbers if they keep falling.

I'd argue they did cut the price recently. The midrange models, the Air and Mini 2, are still excellent devices, and I think the decline in iPad ASP's reflects that the market agrees. I would buy a Mini 2 today, and recommend it or the first gen Air to someone who wanted to try an iPad, but didn't need the power that the A8X provides.

• Reply 52 of 186
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'd put Ming's track record against yours any day.

So, you are satisfied for someone batting less 40%... And when he's right, he's repeating what all other "analysts" are saying? Seriously?

Tablets in general seem to be in freefall, only the sub $100 no name "tablets" are still are increasing in sales and yet, they are still not the past 30% of sales. So, even a sharp drop from Apple would be just following the whole segment, which is in difficulty.

At most, we could fault Apple for not transcending the segment; but, even the Surface Pro, which some here say Apple should imitate is not even selling 1M per quarter (and probably will sell no more than half a million this quarter), not exactly a big success is it?

• Reply 54 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Read the link.  my god. can you even read?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/13/analyst-ming-chi-kuo-apples-55-inch-iphone-6-faces-production-issues-launch-may-be-pushed-to-2015

he also gets a ton of stuff wrong here

Clown said iWatch was coming out in 3rd Qtr 2014

Clown said there would be a budget iMac in Mar2014

Clown said iPadAir2 was coming in August2014

Clown said new AppleTV in 2014 with a full App Store and motion sensor.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/09/apple-2014-product-roadmap/

Obviously you can't read.

"May be" is far from "flat out it will get delayed".

You went from this:

"This is the same clown that said the iPhone6+ would be delayed till 2015"

To:

"flatout would get delayed". Leaving out the 2015.

You changed in a matter of a couple of posts... and you didn't even get that right.

• Reply 55 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Show me in that article where he "flatout" says the 6+ is going to get delayed.

... or STFU.

Well, when it says "Kuo said that the "most conservative scenario" is that Apple delays the 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" model to 2015.", then I would agree that he is "flatout" saying that it will be delayed.  What the heck do you think "the most conservative scenario" means???

• Reply 56 of 186
    How is DED going to spin this into hyperbole that ZOMG!!!! APPLE IS DA BESTEST RAWR!!!!

That is a statement of fact. You don't need DED to spin it. It's not like Android tablets are winning.
  • Reply 57 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That is a statement of fact. You don't beed DED to spin it. It's not like Android tablets are winning.

Well, I'm sure that the IDC and Gartner "estimates" will show the "Other" category making huge leaps up, with absolutely no basis in reality, and no proof, just to make sure that Apple's market share is a lot lower.

• Reply 58 of 186
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    No surprise here. The first few years of sales have been phenomenal, and filled a huge need in the marketplace. Now the current market for potential consumers has been well filled. The big change in shipments is based on two key factors - first is the fact that the replacement/upgrade cycle is far longer than the iPhone and more in line with desktops. We are happy with our current devices and don't see a need to purchase a new model. Secondly, larger screen iphones fill the need for many for a larger handheld device used primarily for social media and web browsing. This is especially true in Asia where handheld computers like iphones are people's primary personal computing device. There is nothing negative about this trend as iPhone sales are more than making up for the decline.
  • Reply 59 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

So, you are satisfied for someone batting less 40%... And when he's right, he's repeating what all other "analysts" are saying? Seriously?

Tablets in general seem to be in freefall, only the sub $100 no name "tablets" are still are increasing in sales and yet, they are still not the past 30% of sales. So, even a sharp drop from Apple would be just following the whole segment, which is in difficulty.

At most, we could fault Apple for not transcending the segment; but, even the Surface Pro, which some here say Apple should imitate is not even selling 1M per quarter (and probably will sell no more than half a million this quarter), not exactly a big success is it?

I'm much more satisfied with his track record than other analysts... and he's not just repeating what other analysts are saying.

This is a guy that tells his clients that Apple is going to have a blowout quarter... that iPhone sales are going to be way beyond anything we've seen. He also said that even "if" the Plus is delayed it won't affect anything. All true. From that it sounded as if he was promoting Apple. Everyone is happy.

Now, the same guy says that iPad sales could see a 50% decline in this quarter. His clients will want to know this information. They, like I will be watching to see where Apple is going to achieve growth. If aint growing then....

Now a bunch of AI members are pissed at him for saying, as you mentioned, the obvious. Well, if it's obvious then you must agree with him.

• Reply 60 of 186
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is the same clown that said the iPhone6+ would be delayed till 2015

Same clown who said the iWatch was coming out in Dec2014

Clown also said a new AppleTv was coming out in Nov2014

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/13/analyst-ming-chi-kuo-apples-55-inch-iphone-6-faces-production-issues-launch-may-be-pushed-to-2015

Same clown that said Large iPad was coming out in 2nd Qtr 2015. Oh but now he's saying it isn't.

http://news.investors.com/technology-click/012015-735320-aapl-stock-up-ahead-of-fiscal-q1-earnings.htm

Clown said iWatch was coming out in 3rd Qtr 2014
    Clown said there would be a budget iMac in Mar2014
    Clown said iPadAir2 was coming in August2014

Clown said new AppleTV in 2014 with a full App Store and motion sensor.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/09/apple-2014-product-roadmap/

here master ming said the iPhone5S was coming out in June. LOL
    Also Clown said iPhone 5C was going to cost $350 unlocked. LLOLLLOLOLLLOLL!!!!

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/04/new-iphones-still-expected-to-launch-in-junejuly-fingerprint-sensor-for-iphone-5s/

Basically this clown says a TON of stuff and a TON of contradictory stuff.  So eventually he gets some stuff 'right'

Total misrepresentation. He said the watch would be delayed to Dec 2014 when most expected it in September. He got the exact sizes of the iPhones right and was estimating delays because of the sapphire. On most of the rest he was just a few months out except the Apple TV but Apple probably are sitting in that due to content deals.