Insider advises Apple investors to brace for 50% plunge in iPad sales this quarter

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1958 View Post

Well, when it says "Kuo said that the "most conservative scenario" is that Apple delays the 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" model to 2015.", then I would agree that he is "flatout" saying that it will be delayed.  What the heck do you think "the most conservative scenario" means???

Do you know what a "conservative scenario" means?

It means a scenario given to the most cautious investor. The guys who feel that fixed funds might be a better idea.

In other words... the absolute worst case scenario.

He backs it up by saying that even "if" the delay scenario happens, Apple will still sell 71.5 million iPhones and it will not affect the bottom line.

• Reply 62 of 186
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Your false idol Kuo also said the iPhone 5C was going to cost $350 without contract on day 1.

kuo_iphone_5s_july.jpg

LOL. He said up to $450. Getting the price right is always the trickiest as it's an internal marketing call but the rest of those details look correct.
  • Reply 63 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You false idol also said an new AppleTV was coming out in 2014 with an AppStore and motion sensor.

He iPadAir2 was coming out in July

He said a lowcost iMac in May

He said iWatch in Oct.

ALL WRONG.

ALL THE TIME.

Now STFU that Kuo is a reliable source.

Hmmmm... I don't see anything about "flatout" in your response.

Well, we all know what that means.

Probably also means that you aren't well researched about your other claims.

... and, by the way, he said the Apple Watch wouldn't happen till at least December 2014... that it kept being pushed back.

Hahahaha... even the early prediction graphic shows the iPad Air2 coming out in the fall.  lol

• Reply 64 of 186
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Certainly is an interesting phenomenon.  On the positives, you have unheard of satisfaction ratings on the iPad, information from mgmt that in some markets iPads are selling to 50% or more new comers which doesn't indicate saturation, and some good product upgrades (in the 9.7" that is) YoY (CPU/GPU, thickness/weight, camera, screen, TouchID, storage upgrade options...).  But overall numbers YoY going down.  Certainly the "upgrade cycle" may explain much of it, but we don't have evidence.  Would be interesting to know the current installed base (active use).  For example, all of the iPads which have been purchased in my family are still going, continuing to move downwards to other members.  All still in use, and so we really haven't "replaced" any - just expanded the base through hand-me-downs.

I do agree the Mini update this year was poor.  There were lots of ways to upgrade the Mini Retina further to improve from last years model, while still leaving a few things to the Air to make it more attractive.  But I don't believe that greatly affected sales, as I don't believe most consumers look at that stuff.

Unfortunately, the only company that likely knows is Apple, and they of course won't say.  It is too bad that we don't get any meaningful analysis.  99% of any article or supposed research just looks at the surface - "hey, there are more total Android tablets selling, especially that kick-ass company 'Others', so that is affecting Apple".  There are reasons that should be able to be found out through proper investigative journalism/analysis, but no one is looking.

While this might be niche, to me an area where iPad is lacking is in the "optional input" methods - specifically a more accurate stylus or digitizer (rumoured as part of a larger iPad).  I think ability to use a device for more accurate drawing/sketching, writing, highlighting, etc, would add many more use cases and thus help to expand its "reasons to exist".  This of course isn't about the 'stylus' tech as much, but about the touch-screen tech itself, to enable more accurate input.  Maybe this year across the a potential new iPad but also the Air?

• Reply 65 of 186
    sog35 wrote: »
    Look at the graph sparky.  He was flatout wrong about the watch.  He said Sept also.

Big deal about the saphire sizes.  He probably slip a $100 bill to some clown at GTAT for that info.

applekuoroadmap.jpg

Dates can change. He got the announcement of the watch confused with the release.

Now you are free to predict the next two quarter sales of iPad. I will too. And I go with Kou.

What's your thinking?
  • Reply 66 of 186
    I have a simple idea to promote an upgrade cycle on the ipads. Entry level storage of 64gb. Max storage of 512gb if possible.
  • Reply 67 of 186
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

And why shouldn't it drop?

We've already got iPads we're happy with. These aren't smartphones. There's no need to buy a new iPad every year. 

Once we all have these devices with long shelf lives, sales will level off. 

In the meantime what has Apple done?

They released the iPhone 6+. Less of a reason to get an iPad (though there are still reasons to get one), and more of a reason to just get a bigger phone with a great display. It's just a smaller iPad but with phone capability. So now what? I don't know, but I'm quite sure Apple will be the last to complain about their success with the iPhone 6+, or the fact they *still* manage to churn out the best tablets in the biz - tablets that have saturated the market because consumers love them. 

• Reply 68 of 186
    Quote:

Dude read the graph below (SOURCE KGI RESEARCH: MING KUO)

That was from Kuo.  Look where the watch is on the timeline.  

Now STFU and admit Kuo was wrong on MANY THINGS

applekuoroadmap

... and he said later in the year, July I believe, that it was pushed back, December at the earliest. The announcement happened in September.

Why are you so angry?

• Reply 69 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please ignore brlawyer (and pazuzu)!

I am surprised these one-note-Johnnies haven't been banned yet.

So now whenever someone has a different opinion he should be banned? Is this MacRumors now?

• Reply 70 of 186
    Please don't re-print garbage like the headline of this story. It might make someone believe there's a modicum of truth to it.
  • Reply 71 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

If the legal profession was valued in terms of how many world-changing and life-improving ideas the people working within it have come up with, it'd be a penny stock.

Check Apple's volume of legal documentation and you'll see how "unimportant" lawyers are in the real world. It's not all about Woz and a few nice engineering tricks, ya know.

• Reply 72 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

Please don't re-print garbage like the headline of this story. It might make someone believe there's a modicum of truth to it.

... and "if" there is a drop of 50% yoy... what then?

(the insider thing is garbage... that's for sure.)

• Reply 73 of 186
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    The fad that was iPad is dead. I own 2 and that is more than enough. My 13 RMBP is the real deal.
    Seriously, between you and brlawyer, you're like twiddle dee and twiddle dum around here!
  • Reply 74 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Seriously, between you and brlawyer, you're like twiddle dee and twiddle dum around here!

Keep it up with the ad hominems - you're doing a great job instead of discussing objectively.

• Reply 75 of 186
    brlawyer wrote: »

So now whenever someone has a different opinion he should be banned? Is this MacRumors now?
    No it's not, but that's where you belong, because they seem to allow and even appreciate your type of vitriol...
  • Reply 76 of 186

Keep it up with the ad hominems - you're doing a great job instead of discussing objectively.
    Discussing objectively?! ROTFL!!! That's rich, that's the LAST thing you've EVER done around here.
  • Reply 77 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Discussing objectively?! ROTFL!!! That's rich, that's the LAST thing you've EVER done around here.

I have been absolutely consistent in my opposition against the AWatch, and have presented several arguments why it should not succeed. I have also been consistent in my criticism of the Beats purchase and, in my view, Cook's lack of vision. But I love Macs and continue to praise the iPhone (except for the failure/me-too thing called iPhone 5C).

I have converted more than 25 people to Apple over the last years and have only used Apple products since 1989 (no DAMN Windows/BootCamp here) WITHOUT being a damn stockholder or someone just interested in ROI. So don't come lecture me when criticism is due...listen, respect other people's opinions and move the **** on.

• Reply 78 of 186
    Dudes that is a good chart showing the difference in the numbers shipped vs. the YOY curve. I go with numbers shipped! Also, in analysing the data, very important to leave off the 2015F column which ... is not real data!
  • Reply 79 of 186
    Quote:

Anyone can be right if you can change your predicition multiple times.

That's been your approach for a long time. lol

• Reply 80 of 186

I have been absolutely consistent in my opposition against the AWatch, and have presented several arguments why it should not succeed. I have also been consistent in my criticism of the Beats purchase and, in my view, Cook's lack of vision. But I love Macs and continue to praise the iPhone (except for the failure/me-too thing called iPhone 5C).

I have converted more than 25 people to Apple over the last years and have only used Apple products since 1989 WITHOUT being a damn stockholder or someone just interested in ROI. So don't come lecture me when criticism is due...listen, respect other people's opinions and move the **** on.
    You essentially just lambasted yourself as anti-Apple without anyone else having to prove it, congratulations. You sound like the average Microsoft whipping boy who's been biting his chomps for decades waiting for the supposed fall of Apple.

If someone like you spews stupidity and BS, you can be damned sure I'll call you out it, and you telling me to move the **** on just falls on deaf ears chump. Your post history shows who and what you are, and you making claims of converting people to Apple and using their products proves NOTHING, because your commentary speaks for itself, and how uneducated and short-sighted you are about Apple as a company, it's leadership, it's product pipeline, and business insights.

With someone like you at the helm, Apple would've ended up back during the John Scully and Gil Amelio days!