Insider advises Apple investors to brace for 50% plunge in iPad sales this quarter

Comments

• Reply 81 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

You essentially just lambasted yourself as anti-Apple without anyone else having to prove it, congratulations. You sound like the average Microsoft whipping boy who's been biting his chomps for decades waiting for the supposed fall of Apple.

If someone like you spews stupidity and BS, you can be damned sure I'll call you out it, and you telling me to move the **** on just falls on deaf ears chump. Your post history shows who and what you are, and you making claims of converting people to Apple and using their products proves NOTHING, because your commentary speaks for itself, and how uneducated and short-sighted you are about Apple as a company, it's leadership, it's product pipeline, and business insights.

With someone like you at the helm, Apple would've ended up back during the John Scully and Gil Amelio days!

You sure sound like an idiot, because your reply completely ignores what I said above - but I was there using Apple products during Sculley and Amelio's days; when everyone and their dog were proclaiming Apple dead. And that legimitizes whatever criticism I may have against certain of Cook's ideas right now. Where were you when Mr Dell made that famous comment? Using a Quadra as well?

• Reply 82 of 186
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Could it be that the iPhone 6 plus is already cannibalising the sales of the iPad mini? The sales of the iPhone 6 plus have been massive last quarter.

In a way, I am surprised. Isn't Continuity making the iPad more connected than ever?

The iPad pro and stylus will certainly appeal to the (Adobe) creatives.

• Reply 83 of 186
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

You are out of touch with reality. I would definitely say that LESS THAN 10% of time spent on a computer (by the masses) requires autocad/excel/intensive doc editing/etc.  i think you're too fixated on the work/industrial aspects of computer usage.  And don't forget that a larger screen iPad will probably come soon.

Your "I" represent the mass? LOL. Unless you can prove to me that those apps works the same as on a computer, you should stop this bs. All the damn keyboard/mouse combos out there suck on tablets including MS surface compared to Apple Keybooar/MagicPad/Mouse. Talk about productivity, it's far from it. That's reality. BTW, I'm using computer 8 hours every day and 3-4 hours on iPad. Don't tell me I'm out of touch with reality. Whatever people say iPad/tablet to replace laptop/desktop, they're delusional at least for now.

• Reply 84 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Could it be that the iPhone 6 plus is already cannibalising the sales of the iPad mini? The sales of the iPhone 6 plus have been massive last quarter.

In a way, I am surprised. Isn't Continuity making the iPad more connected than ever?

The iPad pro and stylus will certainly appeal to the (Adobe) creatives.

Yes, it is - no wonder the iPad mini was barely updated last time, since it's going the way of the Dodo.

• Reply 85 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

No surprise here. The first few years of sales have been phenomenal, and filled a huge need in the marketplace. Now the current market for potential consumers has been well filled. The big change in shipments is based on two key factors - first is the fact that the replacement/upgrade cycle is far longer than the iPhone and more in line with desktops. We are happy with our current devices and don't see a need to purchase a new model. Secondly, larger screen iphones fill the need for many for a larger handheld device used primarily for social media and web browsing. This is especially true in Asia where handheld computers like iphones are people's primary personal computing device. There is nothing negative about this trend as iPhone sales are more than making up for the decline.

I would agree. But I'd be lying if I said I'm not concerned if iPad numbers keeps falling. If iPhone numbers soften even a bit, then watch this stock decline big (temporarily).  aWatch won't be able to stop a temp stock decline.

I will go on record & say that iPad numbers will increase again but it will take a year. With competitors (Samsung/Amazon) waning, tablet market is a space for Apple to gain customers. iPad really is THE tablet to own and everyone knows it, but for reasons as you mentioned above, it's an uphill climb.

Upgrade on iPad Mini will help.  As well as larger screen iPad. Right now, iPad Air2 is beast.

Edit: and if iPhone 6+ is taking share away from iPad, then let it be so. But in that case, iPhone numbers will not soften at all.

• Reply 86 of 186
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Nope. ios was not designed for the mouse just like OS X wasn't designed for touch. Hybrids have failed.

Apple has no problem cannibalizing its own products.

This sounds very much like the "Apple will never make a smaller iPad. Steve said I'd have to file down my finger tips to use one if they did. Every tablet smaller than the iPad has failed so it would be stupid for Apple to make one."

...enter iPad mini.

• Reply 87 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I don't get paid for my analysis.

Neither does my analysis get published world wide and lead to stock manipulation

Time for you to get out your tin foil hat.

• Reply 88 of 186
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    ipad is amazing. and latest gen is a huge improvement over the prior.

the issue is largely market saturation of a product that is so good it just keeps working. anyone who has a 3rd gen or higher ipad probably doesn't feel much pressure to upgrade. plus the larger phones will decrease demand for the ipad.
  • Reply 89 of 186
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is good news.

Apple needs to sell FOUR iPadMini's to make the same profit as a single 6+

iPadMini is horrible to Apple's gross margins.

iPad Mini was Apple's bad response to the Apple whinners' complaints when they saw bunch of android 7" tablets and thought it would be useful. Apple should slowly fade out the Mini and no one even cares. Sometimes, Apple should not respond to a small group of users, just like those are demanding 4" iPhone 6/6S...yup. 

• Reply 90 of 186
    wiggin wrote: »
    This sounds very much like the "Apple will never make a smaller iPad. Steve said I'd have to file down my finger tips to use one if they did. Every tablet smaller than the iPad has failed so it would be stupid for Apple to make one."

...enter iPad mini.

Let's be honest... the 7" tablets that Steve was talking about weren't a joy to use.

7" with a 16:9 aspect ratio made a tablet that was too narrow in portrait... and too short in landscape.

Luckily... Apple did not build one of those. Enter iPad mini... with a more-usable aspect ratio and the entire iPad app ecosystem.

• Reply 91 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Your "I" represent the mass? LOL. Unless you can prove to me that those apps works the same as on a computer, you should stop this bs. All the damn keyboard/mouse combos out there suck on tablets including MS surface compared to Apple Keybooar/MagicPad/Mouse. Talk about productivity, it's far from it. That's reality. BTW, I'm using computer 8 hours every day and 3-4 hours on iPad. Don't tell me I'm out of touch with reality. Whatever people say iPad/tablet to replace laptop/desktop, they're delusional at least for now.

Yes, "I" represents the masses </s>...what an idiotic statement to make, especially when you go on to explain that since you use a computer 8 hrs/day that that makes you in touch with reality...talk about irony.  You don't even know what I do on a computer, so shut it.

I never said that keyboard/mouse/tablet combos will replace laptops. I am saying that the future will consist of more keyboard/mouse/tablet usage even though it isn't very popular at the moment...result is that consumers will find more/better uses for their iPads...and iPad sales makes a slight comeback.

Reality is that the most commonly used applications are: internet browsing, internet hosted applications, word processing, email and other communications, social media, then way down the list would be intensive computing like spreadsheet macros, cad, 3d design, sound/media design and editing, high math computing apps like genetics/research/engineering, etc.

So again, most computing usage can be done on a tablet.

• Reply 92 of 186
    brlawyer wrote: »

So now whenever someone has a different opinion he should be banned? Is this MacRumors now?

A 'different' opinion is different from the stale, one-note-Johnny, ad nauseum, I'll-hit-you-over-the-head, endlessly repetitive.... need I go on .... crap that the two of you spew on every possible thread, even if there is zero connection to the topic at hand.

You may think you're being cute, but you're actually sounding pathetic. Of course, that is your choice. But all that we can hope for is that you have some sanity left in there somewhere between your ears.
  • Reply 93 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

iPad Mini was Apple's bad response to the Apple whinners' complaints when they saw bunch of android 7" tablets and thought it would be useful. Apple should slowly fade out the Mini and no one even cares. Sometimes, Apple should not respond to a small group of users, just like those are demanding 4" iPhone 6/6S...yup. 

It's called an ecosystem...stop looking at one smallish product segment and judging its existence (either by profit margin or by units sold) as a failure.

• Reply 94 of 186
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

The iPad is the new now-dead iPod - but this time without SJ to create true new demand for the next big thing.

Its purported "replacement"? The pathetic AWatch.

At least give us a new Mac Pro, then.

You, pazuzu, and Benjamin Frost are the most intellectually dishonest trolls to grace this forum. Unfortunately, only I get banned for calling you out on your blatant dishonesty, and you continue to have the greenlight to post filth, over and over. 

Not a single thing you have ever posted is rooted in any kind of reality or facts. It's stunning, and telling, how mere days after Apple has a quarter where it smashes every conceivable sales and revenue records, while selling best of class products, you continue to have the audacity to refer to Tim Cook as if he's not fit to clean to clean toilets, let alone run Apple. To any sane, rational, honest person, the guy has proven himself a thousand times over, and so has Apple's leadership team. Your only real attacks are mocking and predictng failure for a product that has not even been launched yet, because it's impossible to mount any real attacks on Apple's performance the last few years, and the actual products they sell.

The Mac Pro? Didn't that have a radical redesign, while receiving near universal praise by those who actually use it, and which nothing else like it exists on the market? Why don't you elaborate to use on what exactly you do, that the current Mac Pro can handle? I know trolling needs alot of resources, but beyond that? While 3D animators, etc love it,  what intensive tasks are you doing at which the Mac Pro can't fit your needs, and what exactly do you require from a "new" one? We'd love to know, because I have yet to see any bitching about performance for those that actually USE the product. Have you bought one, and if yes, what do you use it for? I think we all know the answer to that: No, and Nothing. 

You seem to have some fantasy, imaginary niche product you want Apple to produce, that would obviously sell like shit and will never happen, but because of that you've decided to be a pouty, nasty child and attack anything and everything about the company in retribution. 

As for the iPad, it's only a "failure" while compared to itself. It is still crushing every single other tablet on the market, in both sales and usage. At the end of the day it's an iOS platform, not a product in a vacuum, something you'd never understand. I doubt Apple minds if iPad sales are being replaced by iPhone 6+ sales. 

It should be obvious that your nastiness towards Apple has nothing to do with the direction, performance or quality of the products being produced. It's based solely on some childish, ideological hatred you have towards Tim Cook. It's why in threads that are about Apple's REAL successes, you are nowhere to be found. Yes, in threads like these about some IMAGINED future failure (by an analyst who has been hilariously and epically wrong about EVERYTHING without eating a shred of crow) you jump in orgasmically, with such zeal and excitement at the opportunity, no matter how baseless, to spit at Cook and mock Apple. The sad thing is that you don't seem to realize how pathetic and grotesquely ignorant it makes you look, not Apple. 

• Reply 95 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

ipad is amazing. and latest gen is a huge improvement over the prior.

the issue is largely market saturation of a product that is so good it just keeps working. anyone who has a 3rd gen or higher ipad probably doesn't feel much pressure to upgrade. plus the larger phones will decrease demand for the ipad.

Don't you think it's a bit too early for market saturation? The iPhone keeps on going - for me it's much more a matter of insufficient "revamp" to bolster tablet sales again - a market reinvention if you will.

• Reply 96 of 186
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

You sure sound like an idiot, because your reply completely ignores what I said above - but I was there using Apple products during Sculley and Amelio's days; when everyone and their dog were proclaiming Apple dead. And that legimitizes whatever criticism I may have against certain of Cook's ideas right now. Where were you when Mr Dell made that famous comment? Using a Quadra as well?
    Like I said, you're doing a swell job making yourself look like a total tool, without any help of anyone here.

Do yourself a favour and just get lost, because you won't get any sympathy, understanding, or agreement on anything you have to say here.
  • Reply 97 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A 'different' opinion is different from the stale, one-note-Johnny, ad nauseum, I'll-hit-you-over-the-head, endlessly repetitive.... need I go on .... crap that the two of you spew on every possible thread, even if there is zero connection to the topic at hand.

You may think you're being cute, but you're actually sounding pathetic. Of course, that is your choice. But all that we can hope for is that you have some sanity left in there somewhere between your ears.

Too much fake seriousness for what is just a message thread - get out a little bit and smell the coffee before getting PO'd at someone for just having a different opinion.

• Reply 98 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Like I said, you're doing a swell job making yourself look like a total tool, without any help of anyone here.

Do yourself a favour and just get lost, because you won't get any sympathy, understanding, or agreement on anything you have to say here.

I don't seek any "sympathy" from people like you - just let me have my own opinions and you can have yours.

By the way, how many years have you owned/used Apple products again? 

• Reply 99 of 186
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

I don't seek any "sympathy" from people like you - just let me have my own opinions and you can have yours.

By the way, how many years have you owned/used Apple products again? 
    People like you shouldn't be allowed to speak on topics you have no clue on how to discuss. Like Slurpy (and others here) have summed up very well, there is no need for me to repeat what he or the others said, because I'm with them 100%.
  • Reply 100 of 186
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Still, 45 million is double what Apple sells in Macs. So...that's not too bad.

Yes, once you get a big screen phone and already have a computer...it's hard to see where the iPad fits in 90% of the time. For some people, their phone is their computer 100% of the time.

(With that said, and iPad is a great computer for a lot of people, so combo phone/iPad can easily be their setup. Most people do not need a full-fledged computer. An iPad or a Chromebook would be just fine.)

Well when I'm around my house and don't want to be chained to a table and chair my iPad is a lot nicer given it's larger size display space than my iPhone 6 Plus so I use it in preference to my MBP. or my phone for casual consumption... The one concession I made when I went from the 3 to the Air is I left off the LTE capability as when I'm mobile I DO prefer my phone over a pad. At home I've got WiFi.