Apple releases first beta of OS X 10.10.3 with debut of Yosemite's new Photos app

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    Let's get the skinny on what fixes Apple's included in this release. Those are a bit more important than the photo app for many of us at the moment who are struggling with Window Server bugs that have been lingering since first dev previews, etc. LOTS of problems Apple still needs to resolve here on 10.10.x.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ylon wrote: »
    Let's get the skinny on what fixes Apple's included in this release. Those are a bit more important than the photo app for many of us at the moment who are struggling with Window Server bugs that have been lingering since first dev previews, etc. LOTS of problems Apple still needs to resolve here on 10.10.x.

The 'skinny' comes with the release of the public beta. Sorry but all of us devs sign an NDA. I am astounded AI posted the review of Photos to be honest. Perhaps Apple gave them a waiver?
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Can anyone give any insight into how sharing works in the new Photos Software for Mac? If I share a photo or an Album, does it create a duplicate such that one remains in my private library and one for the purpose of sharing? Or does it share from the same file or album that is in my collection such that if I remove the photo, edit the photo, or add photos to the album (if an album) those changes are reflected in the shared content? I am hoping the later, but would love to know.

Also can someone elaborate on the difference between iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream and why these two features appear to exist simultaneously. It seems if you have iCloud Photo Library then you don't need Photo stream. Comments?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

99 cents a month for 20gb dude

$19.99/month for 1 TB...dude.

Ok, I maybe get by with the 500 GB plan, but that's still $10/month which adds up. 20 GB is fine if all you had were the snapshots you took with your phone and probably would be sufficient if I had the option to only upload the photos on want on my other devices, but it appears to be all or nothing.

• Reply 45 of 46
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Looks nice. I remember when iPhoto looked like this (barf):

IMG_5378.jpeg

Can you still spell "skeumorphic" boys and girls? :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by djkfisher View Post

Lightroom for advanced users and pros. Apple Photos for all others. Very simple

Well, hope I like renting Adobe software then, as Photos complexifies my life by being too simple. Most the photos I work with are scanned family history stuff and scans of film-based fine art photography that needs to be carefully sorted by date, family branch and other variables like degree of restoration, duplicates of TIFF scans and various degrees of jpg copies suitable for various destinations - and the fact that none of these contain useful metadata for auto-organization.

So 15 years of that work (and personal photos - organized by whether it's family, friends, performance by musical peers and my own performance) - is sitting in carefully chosen hierarchical nested folders which I imagine aren't replicable in any cloud storage Apple offers. 

Similarly, after seeing the initial results, I've never checked the let iTunes organize my music button. 

So far, while recognizing I'm likely a pretty far outlier on Apple's customer spectrum, I find most of this work to be ANI: Artificial Non-Intelligence.

• Reply 46 of 46

This is an interesting thread. But for many of us, what we are hoping for from 10.10.3 is, at last, a fix for the terrible slowdown and freezing and spinning beach ball that have resulted from the upgrade to Yosemite. There have been posts and complaints about this problem for many months in lots of places on the Internet. Many people have found that Yosemite has made their computers more or less unusable. The problem is within applications and between applications.

Note: my beach ball started spinning in the middle of typing this message. I had to wait and wait for it to stop. Imagine what it's like to deal with this all the time, every day!--which is, again, a complaint that many others beside me have made. We need help!