Insider advises Apple investors to brace for 50% plunge in iPad sales this quarter

Comments

• Reply 121 of 186
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Conveniently? Naw... I just couldn't be bothered reading the rest of your drivel.  lol

You didn't even refute what you supposedly read, so not surprising you wouldn't bother digging a deeper hole for yourself.

I am sure you'll have fun agreeing with yourself since this is all that matters to you anyway.

• Reply 122 of 186
    slurpy wrote: »
    You, pazuzu, and Benjamin Frost are the most intellectually dishonest trolls to grace this forum. Unfortunately, only I get banned for calling you out on your blatant dishonesty, and you continue to have the greenlight to post filth, over and over. 

Not a single thing you have ever posted is rooted in any kind of reality or facts. It's stunning, and telling, how mere days after Apple has a quarter where it smashes every conceivable sales and revenue records, while selling best of class products, you continue to have the audacity to refer to Tim Cook as if he's not fit to clean to clean toilets, let alone run Apple. To any sane, rational, honest person, the guy has proven himself a thousand times over, and so has Apple's leadership team. Your only real attacks are mocking and predictng failure for a product that has not even been launched yet, because it's impossible to mount any real attacks on Apple's performance the last few years, and the actual products they sell.

The Mac Pro? Didn't that have a radical redesign, while receiving near universal praise by those who actually use it, and which nothing else like it exists on the market? Why don't you elaborate to use on what exactly you do, that the current Mac Pro can handle? I know trolling needs alot of resources, but beyond that? While 3D animators, etc love it,  what intensive tasks are you doing at which the Mac Pro can't fit your needs, and what exactly do you require from a "new" one? We'd love to know, because I have yet to see any bitching about performance for those that actually USE the product. Have you bought one, and if yes, what do you use it for? I think we all know the answer to that: No, and Nothing. 

You seem to have some fantasy, imaginary niche product you want Apple to produce, that would obviously sell like shit and will never happen, but because of that you've decided to be a pouty, nasty child and attack anything and everything about the company in retribution. 

As for the iPad, it's only a "failure" while compared to itself. It is still crushing every single other tablet on the market, in both sales and usage. At the end of the day it's an iOS platform, not a product in a vacuum, something you'd never understand. I doubt Apple minds if iPad sales are being replaced by iPhone 6+ sales. 

It should be obvious that your nastiness towards Apple has nothing to do with the direction, performance or quality of the products being produced. It's based solely on some childish, ideological hatred you have towards Tim Cook. It's why in threads that are about Apple's REAL successes, you are nowhere to be found. Yes, in threads like these about some IMAGINED future failure (by an analyst who has been hilariously and epically wrong about EVERYTHING without eating a shred of crow) you jump in orgasmically, with such zeal and excitement at the opportunity, no matter how baseless, to spit at Cook and mock Apple. The sad thing is that you don't seem to realize how pathetic and grotesquely ignorant it makes you look, not Apple. 

Well when you put it like that...

I guess someone had to say it. ;)

But there's no upside to rubbing their noses in the truth. Truth remains the truth even if they deny it, decry it, or defy it. Once you conclude that there's intellectual dishonesty involved, correction is no longer an effective response. And you already pointed out that punitive options don't exist for trolls in these forums.

I find it amusing to respond to blatantly stupid theories, but yeah, calling them out like that: I mean where does that leave us? We all know where they stand: they are the current "Conrad Joes" of the forums. The fringe calling themselves mainstream and pretending to be know-it-alls. We know the type. They're not fooling anyone.
  • Reply 123 of 186
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    freerange wrote: »
    No surprise here. The first few years of sales have been phenomenal, and filled a huge need in the marketplace. Now the current market for potential consumers has been well filled. The big change in shipments is based on two key factors - first is the fact that the replacement/upgrade cycle is far longer than the iPhone and more in line with desktops. We are happy with our current devices and don't see a need to purchase a new model. Secondly, larger screen iphones fill the need for many for a larger handheld device used primarily for social media and web browsing. This is especially true in Asia where handheld computers like iphones are people's primary personal computing device. There is nothing negative about this trend as iPhone sales are more than making up for the decline.

This is the key: Selling a iPhone 6+ instead of an iPad is a great thing for Apple profits.
  • Reply 124 of 186
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,723member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    No why don't you teach us? It's an AWatch.

Of course it is. :\

• Reply 125 of 186
    Well I am planning to spend my hard earned money on a new iPad air 64g next Friday. So%u2026I%u2019m pretty excited!
  • Reply 126 of 186
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    The iPad is the new now-dead iPod - but this time without SJ to create true new demand for the next big thing.
    It is more of a issue of market saturation and demand for the new iPhone. Being a form of computer I can't imagine slaes being grossly better than Apples Mac line. Especially with Apples attitude of locking it down.
    Its purported "replacement"? The pathetic AWatch.
    Nobody in their right mind sees Apple Watch as a replacement for an iPad.
    At least give us a new Mac Pro, then.

Give us a break with this Mac Pro whining, it will ship when the tech is ready.
  • Reply 127 of 186
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

I'd argue they did cut the price recently. The midrange models, the Air and Mini 2, are still excellent devices, and I think the decline in iPad ASP's reflects that the market agrees.
    We still pay too much for the flash memory we get. This is one reason I'm still on an iPad 3. Apparently Apple has this vision for IPad that doesn't align with the vision customers,have. Part of that is a desire for lots of local flash storage at cost effective rates.
    I would buy a Mini 2 today, and recommend it or the first gen Air to someone who wanted to try an iPad, but didn't need the power that the A8X provides.

Why would you do that? These are by no means powerful computers thus it pays to buy as much as possible.
  • Reply 128 of 186
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You, pazuzu, and Benjamin Frost are the most intellectually dishonest trolls to grace this forum. Unfortunately, only I get banned for calling you out on your blatant dishonesty, and you continue to have the greenlight to post filth, over and over. 

Not a single thing you have ever posted is rooted in any kind of reality or facts. It's stunning, and telling, how mere days after Apple has a quarter where it smashes every conceivable sales and revenue records, while selling best of class products, you continue to have the audacity to refer to Tim Cook as if he's not fit to clean to clean toilets, let alone run Apple. To any sane, rational, honest person, the guy has proven himself a thousand times over, and so has Apple's leadership team. Your only real attacks are mocking and predictng failure for a product that has not even been launched yet, because it's impossible to mount any real attacks on Apple's performance the last few years, and the actual products they sell.

The Mac Pro? Didn't that have a radical redesign, while receiving near universal praise by those who actually use it, and which nothing else like it exists on the market? Why don't you elaborate to use on what exactly you do, that the current Mac Pro can handle? I know trolling needs alot of resources, but beyond that? While 3D animators, etc love it,  what intensive tasks are you doing at which the Mac Pro can't fit your needs, and what exactly do you require from a "new" one? We'd love to know, because I have yet to see any bitching about performance for those that actually USE the product. Have you bought one, and if yes, what do you use it for? I think we all know the answer to that: No, and Nothing. 

You seem to have some fantasy, imaginary niche product you want Apple to produce, that would obviously sell like shit and will never happen, but because of that you've decided to be a pouty, nasty child and attack anything and everything about the company in retribution. 

As for the iPad, it's only a "failure" while compared to itself. It is still crushing every single other tablet on the market, in both sales and usage. At the end of the day it's an iOS platform, not a product in a vacuum, something you'd never understand. I doubt Apple minds if iPad sales are being replaced by iPhone 6+ sales. 

It should be obvious that your nastiness towards Apple has nothing to do with the direction, performance or quality of the products being produced. It's based solely on some childish, ideological hatred you have towards Tim Cook. It's why in threads that are about Apple's REAL successes, you are nowhere to be found. Yes, in threads like these about some IMAGINED future failure (by an analyst who has been hilariously and epically wrong about EVERYTHING without eating a shred of crow) you jump in orgasmically, with such zeal and excitement at the opportunity, no matter how baseless, to spit at Cook and mock Apple. The sad thing is that you don't seem to realize how pathetic and grotesquely ignorant it makes you look, not Apple. 

YAWN- get back to me 9 months after the AWatch is released. 

And the only one on here who has nastiness is you with your rants. Tablets are a fad- whether it's an iPad ,FiredHD or Samsung. The fact remains - they're basically a viewing instrument and maybe that's the reason  Surface sales have soared while iPads and other tablets have sunk.

Give it up.

• Reply 129 of 186
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Of course it is. image

Make sure you capitalize all your lettering henceforth or else. :D

• Reply 130 of 186
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    As an Apple shareholder, let me explain ... I don't care.
  • Reply 131 of 186
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,162member
    I use my ipad 2 quite heavily for work related activities as well as entertainment. I like it so much, and want for so little, there is no need to upgrade. Hell, Apple still sells a mini with an A5 chip in it. The ipad 2 will work well for years to come.

If Apple wanted to push ipad sales, it would more aggressively upgrade the chips in new models so that software leaves the old ones behind.
  • Reply 132 of 186
    just give me a Mac Air with a touch screen.
  • Reply 133 of 186
    bluefire1 wrote: »
    Will people continue to want an iPad? The iPhone 6 Plus and upcoming MacBook Air may ravage sales. And will the iPad transition from being a mainstream device to more of a niche product for businesses such as hospitals, airlines, daycare centers, etc.?
    We'll know the answer by year's end.
    The iPad has sold very well. Indeed bigger phones will eat into the sales.

And bigger phones and regular phones are becoming primary and only computers for many people.
  • Reply 134 of 186
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

The iPad is the new now-dead iPod - but this time without SJ to create true new demand for the next big thing.

Thing about the iPad is that it’s not a failure and nowhere near dead.

They just don’t die.

I still use my first-gen, for heaven’s sake. No one’s buying them because everyone already has them and they’re not failing to meet our needs.

Apple’s problem is not a failed product in the form of an iPad, it’s their failure to create new features significant enough to spur more updating. Not to say that they should do this artificially, of course.

When the 13” iPad is released, however, I’ll be there Day One. YO, APPLE. GET ON IT.

• Reply 135 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

YAWN- get back to me 9 months after the AWatch is released. 

And the only one on here who has nastiness is you with your rants. Tablets are a fad- whether it's an iPad ,FiredHD or Samsung. The fact remains - they're basically a viewing instrument and maybe that's the reason  Surface sales have soared while iPads and other tablets have sunk.

Give it up.

Surface sales are rising, but hardly what I call soaring. Yes, revenues from Surface have doubled quarter over quarter but then price is almost double compared to its predecessor.  As far as iPads go, I don't think they're a fad but they do seem to be more niche than anticipated.

Tim Cook did mention in the latest earnings call that 50% to 70% of iPads sold are to new iPad owners. So that doesn't say market saturation to me. Declining iPad sales aren't due to only one cause;

In western nations, where there is more of PC bias (https://techpinions.com/my-thesis-on-the-mobile-internet/37565), the iPhone 6 Plus is cannibalizing iPad sales on end and Macs / PC's are cannibalizing from the other end

In developing nations, where consumers can't afford to buy two devices or never really grew up with a traditional PC, the smartphone is the device of choice. If they're lucky enough to afford two devices, a tablet and smartphone is the preferred route.

The replacement cycle of older iPads is akin to the replacement cycle of PC's / Macs - in other words, 3 years or longer.

Which probably leaves the iPad as more of a niche product for the following segments;

1.  Highly mobile "enterprise" workers that don't need the power of the PC while on the go or using the device as a clipboard replacement         (construction workers, medical / health workers, architects, real estate agents, etc.)

https://techpinions.com/the-ipad-air-2s-huge-upside/35974

2. Creative / Artistic types

3. Consumers that need a device that's not as powerful / complex as a PC but as simple / more capable than a smartphone.

But make no mistake, for most mainstream users (ie: not advanced users) large-screen smartphones are the new PC.

• Reply 136 of 186

It won't be my fault if they plunge. I bought a iPad Air 2 a few days ago. I love having a full size screen with Mini weight. Touch ID also rocks. 

• Reply 137 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is more of a issue of market saturation and demand for the new iPhone. Being a form of computer I can't imagine slaes being grossly better than Apples Mac line. Especially with Apples attitude of locking it down.

Nobody in their right mind sees Apple Watch as a replacement for an iPad.

Give us a break with this Mac Pro whining, it will ship when the tech is ready.

Let me be clear - I never intended to say that the AWatch "replaces" the iPad - it was just to say that the "next big thing" on Apple's list IS the AWatch, with the purported goal of having it as a major cash cow after the iPhone. In the meantime, it seems like Apple has already given up on the iPad, with the Mini all but discontinued and the Air just being the Air - and a BIGGER iPad? For what? To disregard all previous statements of "having the world in your hands"? A 13" tablet is definitely not anyone's model of portability or "on the bed/by the TV" computing. 

So if Cook et al. feel like this is gonna save iPad's ass, well...they've got another thing coming. This is the bulk of my criticism against him: with SJ gone, it seems like Apple is excellent at continuity but NOT at breaking new ground. And when more than 65% of your revenues come from ONLY one product line (the iPhone), you should be worried as to how this momentum will be kept.

• Reply 138 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thing about the iPad is that it’s not a failure and nowhere near dead.

They just don’t die.

I still use my first-gen, for heaven’s sake. No one’s buying them because everyone already has them and they’re not failing to meet our needs.

Apple’s problem is not a failed product in the form of an iPad, it’s their failure to create new features significant enough to spur more updating. Not to say that they should do this artificially, of course.

When the 13” iPad is released, however, I’ll be there Day One. YO, APPLE. GET ON IT.

I definitely agree and also love my Air - but salvation will not come in the form of a 13" monster iPad, trust me.

• Reply 139 of 186
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Let me be clear - I never intended to say that the AWatch "replaces" the iPad - it was just to say that the "next big thing" on Apple's list IS the AWatch, with the purported goal of having it as a major cash cow after the iPhone. In the meantime, it seems like Apple has already given up on the iPad, with the Mini all but discontinued and the Air just being the Air - and a BIGGER iPad? For what? To disregard all previous statements of "having the world in your hands"? A 13" tablet is definitely not anyone's model of portability or "on the bed/by the TV" computing. 

So if Cook et al. feel like this is gonna save iPad's ass, well...they've got another thing coming. This is the bulk of my criticism against him: with SJ gone, it seems like Apple is excellent at continuity but NOT at breaking new ground. And when more than 65% of your revenues come from ONLY one product line (the iPhone), you should be worried as to how this momentum will be kept.

The air 2 was a major upgrade on the air, crushing all competition, even the NExus 9. So, how is that abandoning the Ipad? Quite a stretch there... I think an even better integration of the Watch, Iphone, Ipad, Mac and Apple TV, will be one of the thing that spurs upgrades.

• Reply 140 of 186
    Nice attempt to manipulate the price by a street analyst who is in no way shape or form an insider, but in all likelihood a short. For that matter Cook himself already stated months ago that he anticipated fewer ipad sales in the past quarter due to the intense demand for he iphone 6 but a rebound on ipad sales this year.