Do you reccomend the Motorola v60 phone?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If you do...why do you reccomend it? I am thinking of buying it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    I find the menu system on all the Mots that I've used very very confusing, nowhere as easy to use as Nokia or Ericsson.

Is there any reason why you have chosen this particular phone? Do you have a link to the product page?

J :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 22
    It's tiny, it's a flip phone, it has caller ID on the outside. If you can afford it, buy it. If it weren't for the fact that I use Sprint, I'd ditch my four year old StarTAC and buy a v60. Currently, Sprint doesn't offer a V60

I like Motorola's phones more than Ericcson and Nokia. I find the Nokia menu system awkward, and I've just never had good luck with Ericsson. Motorola makes a solid product, and last I checked, their phones actually *ring* when you call them, instead of playing Camptown Races

I *despise* people that use songs for their phone's ring... biggest pet peeve
  • Reply 3 of 22
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    My only reservation about the V60 is durability. I have a V8160 and looked at the V60 when it came out. Maybe the dummy used cheaper materials than the real phone (although I can't imagine why), but the one I saw at the Verizon store has chrome rubbed off the bezel and looked pretty shabby for a phone that costs $300. I am waiting to see how the <a href="http://uk.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/all/71158.gsmbox"; target="_blank">new V70</a> works out- although I am loathe to go back to Cingular.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Cost is not an issue. Because of the national contract the company I work for has with AT&T I get the phone for 50% off which means it would cost me $124
  • Reply 5 of 22
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    M3dJack here's one for you: <a href="http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/v60i.html"; target="_blank">new v60i coming</a>

Here's the official page for the <a href="http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/v70.html"; target="_blank">new v70 previewed</a>

At the very least I would say wait until June. The v60 may drop in price the same way the v8160 did upon the new phone's release
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Sprint PCS offers a phone I can't recommend enough, the Sanyo SCP-5150. It's an unbelievable phone that is a sign of things to come. They already have tons of phones with this design and feature-set in Japan (NTT DoCoMo sells them from what I recall).

Anyway, here's some of the cool features of the phone:

* It's a flip phone.

* Caller ID on the outside. The screen on the outside also has a clock, signal meter, voicemail indicator, email indicator AND it changes colour when someone calls to show you if they're in your address book or not.

* One-button access to wireless web services.

* A COLOUR SCREEN! I find this much easier on my eyes than my old green Nokia screen. Nothing beats black text on a white background for visibility. Oh, and the screen is some weird kind that works in low and high-light conditions. Even in direct sunlight you'll still be able to read the screen.

* Photo caller ID, with the software and cable you hook the phone up to your comp and send pictures over to the phone for use as wallpaper or photo caller ID pictures. So when someone calls you, their picture shows up. Semi-useless but still kind of neat.

* Downloadable polyphonic ring tones. You can use midi songs as ringers (and they sound AMAZING).

* T-9 predictive text entry (with a user-editable dictionary). Quite handy for SMS messaging, ICQ/AIM/MSN or web surfing.

* A logical, well-designed calculator.

* A calendar with alarms and to-do's

* Multiple phone #s per phone book entry (mobile, home, work etc.). Plus the phone book can hold 300 entires and 500 #s.

* Voice memos and the ability to record calls using the voice memo feature.

* Voice-activated dialing (Which works REALLY well)

* Battery life is good, not exceptional, but good enough for me. They do make an extended battery that makes the phone CONSIDERABLY thicker but gives you 5 hours of talk time.

Some things I don't like about it:

* The case does not have a matte finish so it can feel kind of slippery.

* Battery life is good, but not the best (unless you buy the extended battery to get 5 hours of talk time)

* The built-in game is sooo stupid and boring. I wish Nokia would liscence out the Snake game. heh

* Those are about all my complaints. Not too many.

Anyway, I just got this phone 3 weeks ago and I am so pleased with it I thought I'd let you know about it. The URL for Sanyo's info page about it is:

<a href="http://www.sanyo.com/consumer/electronics/pcsphones_346.cfm"; target="_blank">http://www.sanyo.com/consumer/electronics/pcsphones_346.cfm</a>;

-Y
  • Reply 7 of 22
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    They screw Apple ...... So don't buy anything from them. It's our time to screw them back

• Reply 8 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>They screw Apple ...... So don't buy anything from them. It's our time to screw them back

</strong><hr></blockquote>

"They" who?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I like the finish of the v60 better than the v60i. Still, I doubt Spring would even offer it. They're all about Smart phones and all things that are *not* Motorola and Nokia. If you go to their online store, they list no Motorola phones.

I head from some people that you could take a V60 from another company and get it activated on Sprint's network... Sprint says you can't. *shrugs* I hate Sprint
  • Reply 10 of 22
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ybot:

<strong>

"They" who?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Motorola I would assume.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Motorola I would assume.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Motorola is dumb & incompetent enough not to offer a IrDA port with their StarTac & (clones) phones, rendering these totally useless with my Powerbook. :-( And I'm not going to spend ?79 on a worthless datacable I don't even know if it's supported on the mac.

I don't like the company, but the Nokia 6210 is working perfectly. I have to try the 6310 with Bluetooth.

Regards, PB
  • Reply 12 of 22
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I have no interest in beaming anything from my cell phone to my Powerbook or vise versa.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Motorola sucks... get a Nokia.

A friend works for Moto and got phones for a fraction of the price. Half my Nokia using friends took him up on the offer and now they totally hate the damn things. The menus are confusing, things that were logical on a Nokia are a nightmare with the v60 and v66. Nott to mention that 2 of the 4 phone dont work properly anymore.

And just as a topping, the battery life is laughable.

In other words... no... dont get a Motorola
  • Reply 14 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>I have no interest in beaming anything from my cell phone to my Powerbook or vise versa.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Me neither. But if you own a Powerbook, it is quite a common use to get/send eMail when "on the road". Grab cellphone, set IrDA connection, go. But not with MotCrap.com. I'm looking forward to their Bluetooth implementation in 2004. :-(

Regards,

PB

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: Powerbook ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    That Sanyo is awesome.
  • Reply 16 of 22
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I'm not buying a cell phone until it's running some variant of Windows.

*runs far and fast away from the Maclot hordes*
  • Reply 18 of 22
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Symbian is where the future is at, grov...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I'm not buying a cell phone until it's running some variant of Windows.

*runs far and fast away from the Maclot hordes*</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol, you mean like this?

There's a ton of phones coming in the next 1-2 years that run the PocketPC OS. Personally I'd never buy one because I only need a few things from my cell phone:

Wireless Web

Address Book

Phone functionality

Everything else like PIM funtions I so rarely use it wouldn't be worth the added expense to get some hybrid computer-phone. Still, it's cool how we're finally seeing convergence devices showing up on the marketplace and not in the "Coming before you're dead [maybe]" category. Now if only I could buy that TV cell phone so I could watch my favourite shows on the bus.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    I was kidding about the Windows thing. I don't give a crap what's running it so long as it's good. Could be the friggin' BeOS for all I care.

I don't think I'll be getting a phone for a while. It'll have to double as an mp3 player to justify its existence in my life.