Canaccord raises Apple price target to $145, estimates iPhone captured 93% of smartphone profits

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Now that Apple dominated Xiaomi in China,

What's the next iPhone killer?

It’s becoming a real issue with the iHater crowd. Samsung has fallen off its white horse in shining armor, HTC remains a small player, Nexus is almost irrelevant in terms of sales and profits. The fAndroids are searching desperately for that Apple killer but the horizon looks bleak right now.

• Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

These is ridiclous way of counting.

If you want to know the market share of profits, you only take the ones that make profits into account.

And because Samsung, LG, Lenovo and Huawei all reported profits and have together much more than 7 %, the 93% is just bulls..t

This is actually a legitimate way of counting.  When you consider INDUSTRY PROFITS, as quoted in the article you have to consider the losses that some handset makers incur.  Profit = Total revenue - Total Costs, even if we're talking industry-wide. It even mentions in the article that Samsung pulled in 9% of industry profits, and that between the two of them they brought in over 100% of the overall industry profit.  This is due to the inclusion of those manufacturers who lost money or had losses from previous quarters that hit the books this quarter.  Pretty basic acounting.

• Reply 23 of 37
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    lkrupp wrote: »

It’s becoming a real issue with the iHater crowd. Samsung has fallen off its white horse in shining armor, HTC remains a small player, Nexus is almost irrelevant in terms of sales and profits. The fAndroids are searching desperately for that Apple killer but the horizon looks bleak right now.

On the HTC rap video Someone commented that iPhone's real competition is now LG.

L FU**ING G!!!!!

*facepalm*
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I didn't know it until recently either, but saw the complaints come up in an article on the Focus RS. This was Europeans complaining as well.

I sure do hope Ford brings the RS to the states. Rumor is they will. I'm glad Ford brought the Focus ST stateside. In your other post, Volkswagen is really pushing for market share. I still don't think Volkswagen has shaken off their bad reputation for being unreliable. I do however believe they have gotten higher reliability ratings over the last few years. 

• Reply 25 of 37
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Apple has 93% of profits.  There growth is limited.  They only can get 7% more of the profits to top at 100% profits.  On the other hand Microsoft has 0% of profits, so they have massive potential to grow profits.  Apple can only go down.  So they are doomed.  /s

Not with the bad math these analyst use. Apple could easily get 280% or 10,000% or infinity percent of the profit because they don't know losses aren't profits.

What's even more whacky is Apple could actually get a negative share and post a profit.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    No you are wrong.

You add all the profits/losses from the entire industry.

Then you divide Apple's profits by total industry profits/losses.

The companies that are losing money are part of the industry if you like it or not.

Lets say the entire industry makes $100
    If Apple makes $95 then then have 95% of the profits.  Don't see why that is so hard to understand.

Remember that profits are the net of expenses and sales.  To not include companies that are losing money is ignoring 90% of the phone makers.

And if the industry, as a whole, has 10 units in losses and Apple has 10 units in profits, then Apple captured -100% of the profits?

This is the worst math of the worst case and caters to sensationalism.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I sure do hope Ford brings the RS to the states. Rumor is they will. I'm glad Ford brought the Focus ST stateside. In your other post, Volkswagen is really pushing for market share. I still don't think Volkswagen has shaken off their bad reputation for being unreliable. I do however believe they have gotten higher reliability ratings over the last few years. 

I had two New Beetles recently (Not the "new" New Beetle but the original New Beetle.)

I was very impressed. No mechanical problems at all. The only reason I traded the 1st one in, was the VW dealer let me trade it for the 2nd one (later model with more power) with no money down and the same monthly payments.

VW does seem to be very aggressive right now about wanting new market share. 

If you ever want to know what are good brands of car to buy, ask a tow truck driver. Mine said "I would not buy BMW, Mercedes, Dodge or Chrysler. I had to tow a Mercedes 2015 model that broke down on a test drive(!). I never get called to tow Subarus - they don't seem to break down often at all"...

• Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

And if the industry, as a whole, has 10 units in losses and Apple has 10 units in profits, then Apple captured -100% of the profits?

This is the worst math of the worst case and caters to sensationalism.

Percentage of industry profits is a very common metric, and your ignorance of the metric doesn't make it "worst math."  

The reason why this metric is so popular is due to how loss leaders are handled.  Loss leaders are stealing unit marketshare by reducing the profits of the industry as a whole.  

• Reply 29 of 37
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Apple had better let someone start competing or there could be trouble. :\

Tim's strategy, holds the fort,

OSes, iTunes 'n other messes . . .

So goes those nasty things,

when incentive's not the sport.

No more heady guesses . . .

"profits do they sing!"

Such position to be in,

With no holds barred . . .

And forecasts made just so,

Great Power does such bring.

With the future in the cards . . .

Dreams the man from Cupertino

Planning, plotting, toil 'n rubble

Profits soar, and gadgets crumble.

• Reply 30 of 37
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member
    Thermonuclear biatch!!! Google, your years are numbered.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

Some people here just have a hard time understanding negative numbers.

Well, there are some Android and Samsung fans that must be getting very good at negative numbers these days...
  • Reply 32 of 37
    No.  You would just say Apple is the only company that makes mobile profits and that would be the end of it.

There is no % needed if only one company makes profits.

I never said Apple was the only company to post profits in my example only that the industry as a hole had more losses than profits.

This method of counting percentages is totally flawed.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Percentage of industry profits is a very common metric, and your ignorance of the metric doesn't make it "worst math."  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">The reason why this metric is so popular is due to how loss leaders are handled.  Loss leaders are stealing unit marketshare by reducing the profits of the industry as a whole.  </span>

As I said, it is generally used to generate sensationalist headlines and panders to those that don't understand math. It is used sparingly and frequently not at all. For example, in 2007-2009, the numbers this warped math gave in the auto industry made no sense in any way shape or form.

But it does give good headlines for the weak minded.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

"As you can see, we currently control 93% of profits. The other 9% is currently controlled by our competitors, who we are in the process of eliminating."

Or something like that. image

A small correction. It should be "the other 10% is currently controlled by our competitors". Remember, there is 103% profits for the taking...

• Reply 35 of 37
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Apple had better let someone start competing or there could be trouble. :\

It's not like Apple is hurting their competitors by using aggressively low prices. Or giving two-for-one pricing. Or blanketing the planet with $13 Billion in advertising expenditures. No, all Apple is doing is giving the customers the best possible user experience and charging the highest prices.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    cali wrote: »
    I wanna see a quarter where no android manufacturer makes a profit.

Ironically the Android manufacturers would be in a world of hurt if they made decent quality phones and couldn't increase their sales by relying on replacement units. Fortunately for Android manufacturers there will always be a supply of dumb people who can't tell the difference between an iPhone and a paper weight.