Exclusive February aerial tour of Apple Inc's Campus 2 shows 'Spaceship' Ring rising, theater progre

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!
  • Reply 22 of 53
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

It's a beautiful building with only one major flaw.

It's located in California with its bottom-of-the-nation business climate. When the state runs out of other businesses to tax, it'll turn to the only one left with money, the state's goose-that-lays-the-golden-egg. That's its high-tech industry, including Apple.

With billions investing in corporate real estate and with many thousands of employees angry that their once-inflated home values are plummeting, Apple will be in deep trouble. Moving would mean that both it and its employees take an enormous financial hit. Staying will mean that most of Apple's profit goes to pay taxes.

The sad thing is those future woes were easily anticipated. Non-profit organizations with a national or international reach left California in the 1980s. They simply couldn't pay employees enough to buy a home. Facing the same problem, for-profit business began to leave in the 1990s. Lose businesses and the tax base grows narrower.

More taxes on fewer businesses mean more business leaving, resulting in still more taxes on still fewer businesses. It's a death spiral, or to be more accurate it's a death spiral that in the U.S. afflicts heavily blue (Democratic) states and cities.

Detroit is the poster child of that blue death spiral. The city has elected nothing but liberal Democrats since the early 1960s and what is the result? A once rich city that spent heavily on public works and bowed down to every demand of its public unions (like today's California) is now depopulated, deeply in debt, and badly run. Entire neighborhoods have been abandoned. Homes can be had for simply taking up the taxes. The response to a 911 can take a hour or more.

Apple must be in need of art to decorate the walls of this new building. I suggest they include pictures such as these:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/10191002/Detroit-in-pictures-the-urban-decay-of-Motor-City-as-it-files-for-bankruptcy.html

That'll help prepare Apple employees for the dismal future they face.

Oh what a bundle of Joy you are LOL

• Reply 23 of 53
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Is that a serious post? :???:

Is that a serious question? The poster has a history of drive-by flames, and rarely if ever responds to rebuttals.
  • Reply 24 of 53

The B&H web site says the range of the Wi Fi radio is about half a mile.  Looks like from the video that you fly right up to the limit of that stated range.  Is there any indicator (maybe on the controller) that you're about to fly out of range of the radio?

Tnx.

• Reply 25 of 53
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

…the “I didn’t know" excuse is out the window.

Okay. I’m fine with that.

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Please enough of your politically driven psycho babble. I'll leave it to others to no doubt point out the flaws in your overly simplistic analysis of the 'State' of the economy.

Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

What made you think anyone cared…

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

What a sad and dreary existence you must lead.

So… no actual replies to what he said.

• Reply 26 of 53
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

It's located in California with its bottom-of-the-nation business climate. When the state runs out of other businesses to tax, it'll turn to the only one left with money, the state's goose-that-lays-the-golden-egg. That's its high-tech industry, including Apple.

With billions investing in corporate real estate and with many thousands of employees angry that their once-inflated home values are plummeting, Apple will be in deep trouble. Moving would mean that both it and its employees take an enormous financial hit. Staying will mean that most of Apple's profit goes to pay taxes.

The sad thing is those future woes were easily anticipated. Non-profit organizations with a national or international reach left California in the 1980s. They simply couldn't pay employees enough to buy a home. Facing the same problem, for-profit business began to leave in the 1990s. Lose businesses and the tax base grows narrower.

More taxes on fewer businesses mean more business leaving, resulting in still more taxes on still fewer businesses. It's a death spiral, or to be more accurate it's a death spiral that in the U.S. afflicts heavily blue (Democratic) states and cities.

Why do you think it is built like a spaceship??  Things go south, they can just relocate it to a low or no tax state.

• Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course no actual replies to what he said, Tallest Skil. Why would we? This is not some political blog, it's a tech blog. Why would anyone respond to his inane blabber which has nothing to do with the article. If you want to encourage this kind of irrelevant comment, go ahead but it will be the death of AI if you succeed.

• Reply 28 of 53

Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

Why would anyone respond to his inane blabber which has nothing to do with the article. If you want to encourage this kind of irrelevant comment, go ahead but it will be the death of AI if you succeed.

That’s in every way an overstatement (as we’ve had hundreds of threads that do just that), but as long as your only objection is one of perceived irrelevancy, I’ll take it.

Still seems like a cop out.

• Reply 29 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Ok, here's one. Cultural climate is as important or more important than "business climate" when you're in an industry that is designed to advance human perception and knowledge.

There is no area in the US that can approach the northern coast of California, the SF Bay area, for vitality, forward-thinking, and just plain geography and climate conducive to life and art. It's worth paying extra for, and it's been a cost built into personal computers from other than MS, IBM and Asian clones from the beginning. (Well, IBM had its own inbuilt tax in the beginning, since they were in New York.)

Y'all could look at it this way. The "Apple tax" is partly a Silicon Valley tax, and it has to be paid because it costs extra to found a culture that transcends the old one. The reward is plowed back into the economy in the form of countless new opportunities.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

What a sad and dreary existence you must lead.

Give him a break, he IS in AL after all.

• Reply 31 of 53
    Can't see full screen.. it actually makes the video window tiny. twtf
  • Reply 32 of 53
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    inkling wrote: »

Detroit is the poster child of that blue death spiral. The city has elected nothing but liberal Democrats since the early 1960s and what is the result? A once rich city that spent heavily on public works and bowed down to every demand of its public unions (like today's California) is now depopulated, deeply in debt, and badly run. Entire neighborhoods have been abandoned. Homes can be had for simply taking up the taxes. The response to a 911 can take a hour or more.

Apple must be in need of art to decorate the walls of this new building. I suggest they include pictures such as these:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/10191002/Detroit-in-pictures-the-urban-decay-of-Motor-City-as-it-files-for-bankruptcy.html

Wow! And this coming from someone living in the center of the economic and intellectual universe, Alabama. Meanwhile, we just moved to Orange County a few months ago and have found an energetic and thriving economy with fantastic quality of life. Go figure. Didn't realize I was in a death spiral.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    I sure hope they pull a Boeing and enforce staggered start/end times for their employees. Getting in/out of that campus is going to be heII. Getting in and out of the Asian marketplace across Wolfe is on its own a nightmare already.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Yes. Obviously, Detroit's circumstance is completely the fault of "liberal Democrats". Has nothing to do with the general decline of the manufacturing sector (which, not coincidentally, corresponds with the growth of the high technology industry and its labor reducing robotics and computing).

And since California has been deep into this blue death spiral since - as you say - the 1980's, it's clear that the whole evolution of Apple into the just about the hugest company in the world is a mirage and Steve and his cronies and successors had/have no idea what they were doing by staying in California. Stupid Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

It's a beautiful building with only one major flaw. It's located in California with its bottom-of-the-nation business climate. When the state runs out of other businesses to tax, it'll turn to the only one left with money, the state's goose-that-lays-the-golden-egg. That's its high-tech industry, including Apple.

One can have a worthwhile debate about the pros and cons of current tax policies in California and areas for improvement therein. But this is hardly a case study in support of states with right-wing, reactionary, racist, anti-science, anti-education, Koch-Brothers-approved government policies. I will wager that neither Apple nor any leading tech company will ever relocate their headquarters to Alabama. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Funny, these videos make me less interested in owning a drone rather than more. When I first saw someone flying a Phantom I had a period of a month or so where I wanted one as a bit of a toy. These videos with the fisheye lenses and jumpy panning effects limit my interest considerably though.

Now, as a reward for watching the video I am getting DJI ads on every page I visit... Further turning me off.

Here's a video that better demonstrates what's possible with a consumer-class drone quadcopter: 

BTW, if you don't want targeted ads following you around the internet, try installing a plug-in such as µBlock. ;)

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedgarage View Post

The B&H web site says the range of the Wi Fi radio is about half a mile.  Looks like from the video that you fly right up to the limit of that stated range.  Is there any indicator (maybe on the controller) that you're about to fly out of range of the radio?

The good news: The latest Phantom quadcopters provide telemetry to the remote operator including distance, and also have the ability to automatically return to home if they lose their connection to the remote control for more than a few seconds.

The bad news: Despite this feature, there are many reports of quadcopters going crazy and flying off on their own, never to be seen again. So there are still unresolved issues probably caused by magnetic compass interference from power lines and other sources.

• Reply 36 of 53
  • Reply 37 of 53
  • Reply 38 of 53
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Again... wtf is up with this dorky music dingbat music... and then randomly cutting in electronic beats.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Good luck with that. I’ll write my own firmware if I have to (or buy an older drone).

The treasonous hypocrites can sit and spin.

Please don't forget to write and tell us all about it from Prison.