Dish makes Sling TV available to all, adds AMC and WatchESPN access

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Dish Network announced on Monday that its new over-the-top web television service, Sling TV, is now open for business and will include content from AMC --?the television home of Breaking Bad and Mad Men --?as well as access to WatchESPN apps for all customers.

Following a three-week incubation period, signups are live and interested consumers can now visit Sling.com to secure a free 7-day trial. The base package --?which includes ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, ABC Family, Disney Channel, CNN, El Rey and Galavision?--?costs $20 per month, with no long-term commitments or cancellation fees.

"There has been a remarkable expression of consumer interest since we first announced Sling TV one month ago," Sling TV CEO Roger Lynch said in a release. "We believe Sling TV is a game-changing service that enhances the existing television landscape. Now underserved audiences have access to the best of live TV at an affordable price."

AMC will be added to the base package "in the coming weeks." AMC Networks' other channels, including BBC AMERICA, BBC World News --?both of which AMC is responsible for distributing in the U.S. --?IFC, SundanceTV and WE tv, are also included.

In addition, subscribers can now use their Sling TV login to authenticate with ESPN's WatchESPN apps on mobile devices and the Apple TV. This is available at no extra charge for access to ESPN and ESPN2, while subscribers to the $5-per-month Sports Extra pack will also unlock SEC Network, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Bases Loaded and ESPN Goal Line.

Other available add-on packages include News & Info Extra, which brings HLN, Cooking Channel, DIY Network, and Bloomberg, as well as Kids Extra, which adds Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, BabyTV, and DuckTV.

AppleInsider took a first look at Sling TV during the service's beta period, and came away impressed with its generally excellent video quality and content selection. We will have a more in-depth evaluation of the service later on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Very cool- now why can't I watch Amazon Prime on my ATV if I can on my iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Forget live-only access. I have a frigging several-gigabyte workstation in my pocket with access to high-speed Internet nearly everywhere. With OTA, cable or satellite, we can pause or record to a scrappy TiVo for later replay, rewind, FF, etc. So why not on our computers and mobile devices? espn3.com is viewable live and in replays on my computer, so this $20/month is to watch it on my iPhone but live only. What a sad joke.:no: I guess I'll just have to screen share with my Mac, where ESPN3 is available. The audio doesn't come through, but that's not a huge loss, especially as concerns ESPN's color commentary.

ESPN3 (which includes replays) is available on Apple TV with a Sling TV subscription but not on iPhone/iPad.:rolleyes: What is so scary to ESPN about accessing ESPN3 on mobile devices?????

It strikes me that Dish should pay us to watch on mobile, since there's no skipping commercials.

Imagine if JFK had set our sights on building a serviceable Spruce Goose instead of going to the Moon. That's how Sling TV feels on iPhone/iPad.

• Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The Amazon Video app for iOS has had AirPlay mirroring for at least a year now.

• Reply 4 of 28
    This SHOULD have been Apple's TV version 1.0 (of course with a better packaging/experience)!

Eddie Cue messed up somewhere in the middle by going after Traditional distributors (Puzzling strategy!) instead of persevering on negotiations with Content Owners.

What kind of value is Apple going to provide me by giving a better UI for my comcast/Time-warner subscription?..By putting those subscriber-only watch apps on Apple-TV??

Apple putting an overlay on existing eco-system (like what they did with Apple-pay) with out disrupting the model of the existing players wouldn't work in TV, as they found out after wasting couple of years.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I would be all over this -- it's almost perfect, but is hampered by one fatal flaw: you can only access the service with one device at a time. So if I wanted to watch a game on ESPN downstairs, my wife couldn't be watching something on AMC upstairs in the bedroom. 

Hell, I would even put up with sticking bunny ears on our HDTVs for local channels, but the one device restriction makes this a non-starter in my household.

• Reply 6 of 28

This SHOULD have been Apple's TV version 1.0 (of course with a better packaging/experience)!

Eddie Cue messed up somewhere in the middle by going after Traditional distributors (Puzzling strategy!) instead of persevering on negotiations with Content Owners.

What kind of value is Apple going to provide me by giving a better UI for my comcast/Time-warner subscription?..By putting those subscriber-only watch apps on Apple-TV??

Apple putting an overlay on existing eco-system (like what they did with Apple-pay) with out disrupting the model of the existing players wouldn't work in TV, as they found out after wasting couple of years.

• Reply 7 of 28

The Amazon Video app for iOS has had AirPlay mirroring for at least a year now.

Except that's not the same thing because I may want to web search on my iPhone while watching which would didconnect AirPlay.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Except that's not the same thing because I may want to web search on my iPhone while watching which would didconnect AirPlay.

Wrong. Just turn AirPlay on and go about your business on your phone. Just don't close the app completely, let it run in the background. Works like a champ!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    hittrj01 wrote: »
    Wrong. Just turn AirPlay on and go about your business on your phone. Just don't close the app completely, let it run in the background. Works like a champ!

But then that will drain my iPhone battery and I don't want to do that!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Comment deleted for lack of accuracy.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    I would be all over this -- it's almost perfect, but is hampered by one fatal flaw: you can only access the service with one device at a time. So if I wanted to watch a game on ESPN downstairs, my wife couldn't be watching something on AMC upstairs in the bedroom. 

Hell, I would even put up with sticking bunny ears on our HDTVs for local channels, but the one device restriction makes this a non-starter in my household.

You could possibly get two separate accounts, then you can both watch what you want. Just pay $40-50 instead of $20-25/mth.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hell, I would even put up with sticking bunny ears on our HDTVs for local channels

I highly recommend it! Over-the-air broadcasts work great and the substantial money saved can be better used elsewhere--not to mention your time can be better used elsewhere.

• Reply 13 of 28
    You could possibly get two separate accounts, then you can both watch what you want. Just pay $40-50 instead of $20-25/mth.

At that point... it's time to examine what good ol' cable TV would cost.

If your basic-expanded cable package with 60+ channels costs $50 a month and lets you watch on multiple TVs and lets you have DVR and On-Demand... suddenly the $20 a month for 15 "live only" channels on SlingTV doesn't look so hot.

I get what SlingTV is trying to do... but it seems to come with a lot of caveats.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Same here. One stream is not enough. I buy 3 streams from Netflix.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    They're close. How about for $20 let me pick from any 20 channels. I can mix and match any channels any time but can't exceed 20 channels without paying more to enter a higher tier.

What they are offering is more or less the same as cable companies...a package of set channels for a fee. I want a package of channels I select
    wishful thinking, man. We are lucky if they only give 8 channels for $20 user selectable. I don't mind to pay that price for my primary channels
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

But then that will drain my iPhone battery and I don't want to do that!

Then why were you even making the argument that you couldn't do it in the first place?! Trolls and idiots will never cease to amaze me...

• Reply 17 of 28
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    They're close. How about for $20 let me pick from any 20 channels. I can mix and match any channels any time but can't exceed 20 channels without paying more to enter a higher tier.

What they are offering is more or less the same as cable companies...a package of set channels for a fee. I want a package of channels I select

At that point... it's time to examine what good ol' cable TV would cost.

If your basic-expanded cable package with 60+ channels costs $50 a month and lets you watch on multiple TVs and lets you have DVR and On-Demand... suddenly the $20 a month for 15 "live only" channels on SlingTV doesn't look so hot.

I get what SlingTV is trying to do... but it seems to come with a lot of caveats.

A lot of people (I was one) pay $100+ per month for cable & DVR, etc. many pay $130+. So, $40-60 for this or similar seems good to me. And they do not offer DVR, but it does say you have up to 3 days to watch a program that's already aired - not equal to DVR but a fair exchange for the low price. You will never get everything for $20-30.

It is not basic cable, basic cable from most providers does not include ESPN and all the TNT/TBS channels like HGTV etc.

It's early give them a chance to add more channels and features. You can't 100% judge a service or product on version 1.0. By that standard Appletv, google maps, cable tv itself was not very good at first launch. This may not be good for you, but for a lot of cable cutters or people who don't need 300 channels and only watch 20-30 of them this is going to be a good option.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I'd jump if it were on AppleTV natively. AirPlay adds an unecessary step IMO. GYST Dish and conform the app to AppleTV's clean UI standards.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Airplay to the AppleTV, problem solved!!

• Reply 20 of 28
    Duplicate See Post 26. Sorry.