Rumor: Apple to launch MacBook Air refresh with Intel Broadwell chips Feb. 24

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

A better move might have been to create a 12' MBA with enough additional new features to call it a MBA Pro. It'd have a Retina display, at least 8 Gig of RAM standard, perhaps even cellular data and GPS built in and more USB ports. At the same time (meaning not now) Apple could release these revised MBAs with merely a chip upgrade and at a lower price to make them more competitive.

I suspect the 12 inch device will likely have some unique angle that will necessitate a new name. Maybe a hybrid device?

• Reply 22 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Apple wasn't the first company to release a machine with Broadwell chips so I now have to say I'm waiting for Apple to release Macs with Skylake.

Probably because the "special relationship" with Intel is no more? They'd better be quiet about that "update" - otherwise it's gonna get the same backlash as that non-update with Mac Pros before the 2013 models came.

• Reply 23 of 59
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Probably because the "special relationship" with Intel is no more?

Why jump to such a negative conclusion? It's because of volume.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Why jump to such a negative conclusion? It's because of volume.

Which volumes?

• Reply 25 of 59
    Off topic, but I saw "Still Alice" last night and it was not only a tour de force of Apple product placement, but MacBooks and iPhones were practically characters in the story. Even the OS was prominently demonstrated. The only off-note: Skype instead of FaceTime.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    I love this! Hopefully it will help speed things up or contribute to a stronger battery life. My MacBook battery improved by about 2 hours using http://www.detoxmymac.org but I don't understand why this is still such an issue. I think perhaps it's all the aesthetics like screen resolution that are contributing to poor battery life.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    There is a precedent for Apple to update a current product line with new and improved technology with only an accompanying press release on the date of 24th of February...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/02/24Apple-Updates-MacBook-Pro-with-Next-Generation-Processors-Graphics-Thunderbolt-I-O-Technology.html

This day also happens to be Steve Jobs Birthday.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    I think it will be:
    12" rMBA
    13"cMBA <-- possibly updated to retina at somepoint but remain at the same form factor
    13 15" rMBP

Intel has 3 (4 if you count larger notebook sizes) laptop categories. And Apple should try to make the best notebook they can at every category.

There is the new ultra-ultra thin fanless category: Y-series, Core M, Intel HD 5300, 4.5W, This category is most portable, lowest energy consumption, lowest performance. The new 12" rMBA will fall into this category.

Then there is the original ultra-book category: U-series, corei3-i7, intel HD 6000, 11.5W, This category has average portability, middle range energy consumption, and medium performance. The current MacBook Airs are in this category. And when they get updated they will stay in this category. Who knows if apple will put a retina display in this MacBook Air series... I really hope they do.

Finally, there is the performance category: also U/M-series technically, corei3-i7, intel iris 6100, 28W, this category has lower portability, higher power consumption, and high performance. The Current and future rMBPs are in this category.

Personally, I am stoked for all three notebook categories. One could argue that apple is going to phase out the current MacBook Air line, and not have a 11.5W ultra book category. But I believe they will keep this category as there are plenty of people that want something more portable than a MacBook Pro, but something more powerful than Core M. And I hope they do keep this line.

I suppose one could count the 47W extreme/power category for larger notebooks.

So this could put the product lineup like this:

13" current non-retina MBA(hope it does get retina) - $999
    12" new fanless 12" rMBA - $1199
    13" rMBP - $1299
    15" rMBP - $1999 (yikes that's a lot still)

Or I suppose it could also look like this:

12" rMBA(new fanless) - $999
    13" rMBA(old form factor, updates with retina display) - $1099-$1199
    13" rMBP - $1299.

What do you guys think? I am genuinely interested in y'alls opinions.
  • Reply 29 of 59

I think it will be:

12" rMBA

13"cMBA <-- possibly updated to retina at somepoint but remain at the same form factor

13+15" rMBP

Intel has 3 (4 if you count larger notebook sizes) laptop categories. And Apple should try to make the best notebook they can at every category.

There is the new ultra-ultra thin fanless category: Y-series, Core M, Intel HD 5300, 4.5W, This category is most portable, lowest energy consumption, lowest performance. The new 12" rMBA will fall into this category.

Then there is the original ultra-book category: U-series, corei3-i7, intel HD 6000, 11.5W, This category has average portability, middle range energy consumption, and medium performance. The current MacBook Airs are in this category. And when they get updated they will stay in this category. Who knows if apple will put a retina display in this MacBook Air series... I really hope they do.

Finally, there is the performance category: also U/M-series technically, corei3-i7, intel iris 6100, 28W, this category has lower portability, higher power consumption, and high performance. The Current and future rMBPs are in this category.

Personally, I am stoked for all three notebook categories. One could argue that apple is going to phase out the current MacBook Air line, and not have a 11.5W ultra book category. But I believe they will keep this category as there are plenty of people that want something more portable than a MacBook Pro, but something more powerful than Core M. And I hope they do keep this line.

I suppose one could count the 47W extreme/power category for larger notebooks.

So this could put the product lineup like this:

13" rMBP - $1299

Or I suppose it could also look like this:

12" rMBA(new fanless) - $999

13" rMBA(old form factor, updates with retina display) - $1099-$1199

13" rMBP - $1299.

What do you guys think? I am genuinely interested in y'alls opinions.

• Reply 30 of 59
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    snuffysasa wrote: »
    13" rMBP - $1299

I'd guess:

11" non-Retina Air $899
    12" Retina Air $1099
    14"/15" Retina Air $1299
    15" rMBP $1999

The 13" Air and 13" rMBP would be replaced by the 14" or 15" Air.

This means maintaining the low $899 entry price but with an upsell to a cheaper Retina laptop than before (cheapest Retina was 13" rMBP at $1299). The current 13" Air and 13" rMBP are around the same speed so just have the larger Retina Air at $1299. This makes Apple a little more competitive with 15" PC laptops, which can start below $300, not sure what high resolution ones start at.

As SSD and RAM prices fall, they can eventually drop the non-Retina Air.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    MacBook Airs with Retina Display and Skylake chips would truly be an object of desire. Same goes for MacBook Pros later this year.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    satchmo wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm sorry, when did Apple announce this refresh? This is just as much a rumor as anything he says.
    Nothing new...it seems most Mondays have an Apple hardware rumour to generate page clicks. 
    I've accepted this tactic and just move on.

Good to see you dutifully contributing your click. ????
  • Reply 33 of 59

I'm running a mid-2012 MBA that is still going very strong. I have absolutely no issues with the hardware, and it will continue to have a good life when I give it to my wife. But a spec bump isn't what I'm waiting for in terms of an upgrade. A 13" rMBP is on my short list, but if there really is a new 12" MBA coming, then that's what I'm going to buy. 

• Reply 34 of 59
    Crap. I was literally planning to order one this week. 13 inch with 8GB and 128 GB storage.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    justmark wrote: »
    Crap. I was literally planning to order one this week. 13 inch with 8GB and 128 GB storage.

You still can, as far as I know.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    You still can, as far as I know.

Yes they are atull definitely available, just wondering if I should wait two weeks.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Same here! I'm replacing my MBP and was all set to order the same one as you. Guess I'll be waiting 2 wks to see what the pricing will be like.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I'd guess:
    I like the general idea here with your guesses.
    11" non-Retina Air $899
    Old man here so the 11" doesn't mean much at all. However the price would likely be clipped considerably with the new line up, I could see $750.
    12" Retina Air $1099
    If they go with the extremely stripped down model rumored, I suspect that they will be more aggressive with pricing. I could see this coming in at the $899 level.
    14"/15" Retina Air $1299
    I would love to see a 14" Retina MBA especially if it maintains the ports the current Airs have! I'm thinking $1100 here.
    15" rMBP $1999

The 13" Air and 13" rMBP would be replaced by the 14" or 15" Air.
    You do seem to be down on the 13" rMBP. This is still an excellent alternative to the MBA's and with a refresh to quad core would maintain that distinction. In fact I likw where the 13" Pro is currently place in the line up.
    This means maintaining the low $899 entry price but with an upsell to a cheaper Retina laptop than before (cheapest Retina was 13" rMBP at $1299). The current 13" Air and 13" rMBP are around the same speed so just have the larger Retina Air at $1299. This makes Apple a little more competitive with 15" PC laptops, which can start below $300, not sure what high resolution ones start at.
    Competition is a real problem which is why I believe Apple restructured the pricing of the Airs. The Airs at one time where an excellent value and I believe Apple will want to maintain that. That means pricing that keeps them attractive to the core markets; education, travel computers (seconds), highly mobile business users and whatever else they target.
    As SSD and RAM prices fall, they can eventually drop the non-Retina Air.

Actually SSD prices have dropped like a rock which allowed them to cut prices on the Airs. I could actually see them continuing to clip the price on the 11" Air until it stops selling. It would be that low price option to draw customers in.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yes they are atull definitely available, just wondering if I should wait two weeks.

cali redd wrote: »
    Same here! I'm replacing my MBP and was all set to order the same one as you. Guess I'll be waiting 2 wks to see what the pricing will be like.

When you are this close to a rumored release date waiting a couple of weeks, even a month makes sense. Even if the new machines don't rock your boat you can usually pick up an older model cheap.

Beyond that, for many users Broadwell should be an excellent update. I see much in the way of people suggesting waiting for SkyLake which is fine if half a year isn't a problem. We don't know exactly how Apple will leverage Broadwell in the Airs, I'm still thinking that even this "minor" update could go retina, but it is hard to deny the GPU improvements and the potential for more than a trivial bump in CPU performance.

At this point with a 2-4 week window you have nothing to loose by waiting.
  • Reply 40 of 59

Excuse my noob-ness, but most people are laser-focused on the display and the CPU updates to the new MacBook Air.  I'm wondering if they might be getting a storage upgrade too?  One thing that caught my attention is the Samsung SM951 M.2 NVMe SSD.  These devices were announced about 8 months ago and mass production started about two months ago.   They are available only to OEMs, and I can recall finding only one device that was scheduled to ship with it.