Apple's next iPhone to include updated Touch ID sensor for safer, superior Apple Pay experience

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
The Touch ID fingerprint sensor will get an upgrade this year with Apple's next-generation iPhone, according to well-connected insider Ming-Chi Kuo, who said on Tuesday that the new model will improve the Apple Pay experience with fewer reading errors.

Kuo, an analyst with KGI Securities, projects that Touch ID module shipments will grow 12.4 percent this year to 262 million total. His forecast was revealed in a research note to investors, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider on Tuesday.

According to Kuo, the upgraded Touch ID module will "offer a better and safer Apple Pay user experience by reducing reading errors." He expects companies in Apple's supply chain to begin ramping up for the new Touch ID module in the second quarter of calendar 2015.

Touch ID will remain in the home button on those devices for now, Kuo said, as he doesn't expect the fingerprint scanning technology to be integrated into touch panels in the near term.

"Though Apple has filed patents for the integration of Touch ID and touch panel, this isn't likely to bear fruit near term as complex algorithms and sapphire cover lens are also required," he said. "We therefore don't see any impact on supply chain momentum."

Just last week, Apple filed a new patent application describing how future iPhones and iPads could move Apple's Touch ID fingerprint sensor from the device's home button to the display itself. Doing so could allow new ways to authenticate a user, including a full palm-print scan to log in.

Touch ID was first introduced in the iPhone 5s in 2013. Last year, Apple expanded its role beyond unlocking to support its new Apple Pay digital wallet service.

With the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, users securely scan their fingerprint to authorize Apple Pay tap-to-pay transactions. In-app purchases with Apple Pay are also available on the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, as well as the latest iPhones.

Kuo has a respectable track record with regard to predicting Apple's future product plans and supply chain information. While he frequently gives accurate details on future hardware, he has, however, missed the mark on the timing of certain product launches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Other than trouble reading my fingerprint when the home button is a little greasy, it works very well. Faster would be nice.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    DUH. DUH. And more DUH. How obvious.

The next iPhone will be better.

The next Touch ID will be better.

The next version of iOS will be better.

The A9 will be faster.

Ooo. The suspense of it.

Duh. Duh. And more Duh.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    would like to see touch id on the mac for safer/quicker online shopping. maybe the new macbook air will have it?
  • Reply 4 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    schlack wrote: »
    would like to see touch id on the mac for safer/quicker online shopping. maybe the new macbook air will have it?
    Uh....no. Touch ID on a laptop doesn't provide better user experience.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Wait so Kuo is telling us the next iPhone will have improvements over the current iPhone? Shocked.

Touch ID works great although it could be too good as it unlocks before I have a chance to look at the notifications on the lock screen.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

AppleInsider:  please get your definition of INSIDER correct.  Ming is NOT an insider.  

Everyone else please keep in mind Ming's prediction for 2014

applekuoroadmap

Sog35, I think you missed the CNBC interview where Ming said he was not wrong. Apple was. Apple chose to change product shipping dates due to Ming announcing the product dates. Oh wait, that was something Mark Gruman over at 9to5 Mac would do! Oh well!!
  • Reply 7 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This "analyst" is wrong, and I do not agree with their predictions.

The next iPhone will feature a Touch ID sensor that is slighly less accurate than today. Today's sensor just works too well, so in order to give the competition a fair shot, and to level the playing field, Apple will deliberately lower the resolution of the sensor.

The next iPhone will also feature a less powerful CPU, it will be called the A9 minus, because Apple is already so far ahead of all other CPUs found on other phones.

This whole "Retina" fad will finally be coming to an end, and the next iPhone will feature a vintage, heavy pixelated display that resembles video games from the 80s.

These "analysts" have no clue at all, and who cares if they're correct about two things, when they've pulled ten things out of their butt and they were wrong about eight. Even a blind squirrel will ocassionally find a nut.

• Reply 8 of 64
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Well it will make setting up an ?Watch a bit faster, since as I understand it, everytime the watch is removed the ability to use ?Pay is disabled.

I suppose the bad guys could just hack off your arm ;-)

Of course, your kids could add sleeping pills to your nightly glass of Scotch, strap on your watch, and use your fingerprints to authorize it, and then go out on the town. Or, for the younger crowd, after you pass out at that house party, and a total stranger does it. Or someone slips something in your drink at a bar. Suddenly that four digit pass code sounds like a much better idea.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Wait so Kuo is telling us the next iPhone will have improvements over the current iPhone? Shocked.

Touch ID works great although it could be too good as it unlocks before I have a chance to look at the notifications on the lock screen.

Well..like Steve said: "don't hold it like that." :-)

• Reply 10 of 64
    Ming-a-ling.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    I've had zero issues using the current touch sensor with Apple Pay.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    My iPhone will need to prick me for a DNA sample before I entrust it with my bank account information.
    Just kidding- looking forward to it.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Stop calling him an insider. Kuo is not an Apple employee, contractor or board member.

He may be an analyst with a slightly better track record in rumor prediction than his peers, but by no means is there any proof that Kuo is an insider or has access to reliable inside information.

• Reply 14 of 64
    I need to get a job as an 'analyst.' Incremental version of product will be incrementally better. That's just incredibly insightful analysis.

The only issue I've ever had with TouchID as it stands today is if my finger is wet, or there is a droplet on the sensor. Wipe both off and try again, problem solved.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    fallenjt wrote: »

Why wouldn't it? Secure on line transactions are a beautiful thing.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Other than trouble reading my fingerprint when the home button is a little greasy, it works very well. Faster would be nice.

Interestingly the successful reading percentage has dropped considerably this winter. I live in a cold climate which results in dry and often cold fingers. Perhaps I need to seasonally re-configure the reader. Or just set up a less used / affected finger.

And yes - faster would definitely be an improvement. 

• Reply 17 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    FOS
  • Reply 18 of 64
    schlack wrote: »

Yes. This.
    fallenjt wrote: »

This statement makes no sense. I'd like to unlock the Mac with Touch ID. I'd like to download from the Mac App Store/iTunes with Touch ID. I'd like to make secure payments with Touch ID.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Uh...yes.  It would.  Faster secure log in.  Faster secure transactions...explain your point.

• Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why wouldn't it? Secure on line transactions are a beautiful thing.

That and using Touch ID to secure certain folders/files would be very cool security feature on Macs.