Apple controls presentation in IBM partnership as salespeople use Macs, Keynote to push iOS in enter

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    mstone wrote: »
    You can build a presentation in Keynote and export it to ppt - Just don't use any animation because it won't work in Powerpoint and may kill the presentation by not running at all. This I have learned from experience. The only way to know is by testing on Windows or just using simple static slides. Even then the fonts are likely to go haywire unless you stick to Arial and Times New Roman.

I have exported by Keynote as a QuickTime movie and simply play that on a Windows box they provide. That works, fonts, transitions and all.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Has no one ever heard of the term, "eat your own dog food"? If not or your don't know what it means, then it's clear you work for meaningless company X. Nearly every top company has a form of this baked into their culture. Seems half the people posting here have no idea of the concept. Not everything can be measured on a spreadsheet.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    Say this to someone in the industry in 1980; see how hard they laugh.

They wouldn't really understand what you were talking about, since why would a salesperson have a computer?!?

A decade later you would have had a real laugh riot on your hands though!

I seriously doubt the spin on this analyst's interpretation of events. It's in the interest of both companies, therefore IBM would be eager to use Apple hardware to advance sales.

It's not about "who's in control", that was a pretty stupid line. It's just good salesmanship to show the customer that you believe in the product.

And hey, only good things can follow from making your employees use Keypoint instead of PowerPoint, as anyone who's ever used both will know...
    rogifan wrote: »
    Because everyone thought IBM would be using Dells and PowePoint to pitch iOS in the enterprise? :rolleyes:

For some reason, I pictured them using Thinkpads! It's really a shame what has happened to IBM. Selling their hardware division was bad enough, but now they even got rid of the Crown Jewels they had in form of their silicone fabs.

bluestone wrote: »
    It's instructive to see what Edward Tufte, the high guru of these things, has to say about Power Point - devastating.

http://users.ha.uth.gr/tgd/pt0501/09/Tufte.pdf

As one who gave innumerable pitches during my career, I ended up doing presentations that as a minimum did not show any bullets, but I didn't go far enough.

My style was to show pictures with absolutely minimal text, and then speak.  Text on a Power Point slide is a big mistake in my mind.

And yes, I know about handouts and all that.   Don't hand out your pitch, hand out something totally different that can be read.

Take a look on the first page of the link as to what Louis Gerstner did in a meeting when he first became president of IBM.  He understood.

It's also instructive to go back to some of Steve Jobs' best keynotes and see how he did things.  Sure, it was a projected set of slides but again no bullets.  Lots of trivially simple graphics.  Very effective.  And he didn't talk to the slides, he talked to the audience.

Thanks for the videos, that's classic!

One of the only good reasons for numbers etc. in a presentation is as a reminder for the audience: "what's that figure for 3rd quarter again? Oh yeah!"
    apple ][ wrote: »

He's a liberal racist. No matter what the topic, these racists only view the world in terms of race.

Oh dear, oh dear! A liberal racist?!? Do you mean a person who is a liberal and also a racist, or a person who's racist to a lot of people.

Not that it really matters, since Its been a good decade or so, if not more, since words like "racist" or "bigot" actually meant something.

These days people throw them casually around, every time they can get offended on somebody's behalf, or when they disagree with somebody, but can't quite explain why the other is wrong.

rezwits wrote: »
    what thewhitefalcon said. PP what a pile.

In a sad note, I feel Apple has completely left the building when it comes to Enterprise products. I kinda thought Apple might purchase IBM, but they'll probably just consider them their Enterprise Division from here on out, I know these arrangements were made about 2 years ago or more, but that all folks...

Consumer and Enterprise, Apple and IBM...respectively.

Apple did partly leave the enterprise market, though the market has also moved a lot.

You don't NEED a rack server these days the same way you might have needed one, when Apple was still making the XServe. For many server tasks one or several Mac Mini's, or a combination of Mac Mini's and Mac Pros is fine.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by v900 View Post

Oh dear, oh dear! A liberal racist?!? Do you mean a person who is a liberal and also a racist, or a person who's racist to a lot of people.

Not that it really matters, since Its been a good decade or so, if not more, since words like "racist" or "bigot" actually meant something.

These days people throw them casually around, every time they can get offended on somebody's behalf, or when they disagree with somebody, but can't quite explain why the other is wrong.

I meant a liberal who is also a racist. The kneejerking kind who goes around and calls other people racists for no reasons at all. They are the true racists. Almost everytime I post, no matter what the topic, certain people on this forum (racist liberals) are quick on the trigger and accuse me of being racist, even if the topic had zero to do with race at all.

I also agree that the word "racist" has practically lost all meaning today.

• Reply 45 of 47
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    rezwits wrote: »
    what thewhitefalcon said. PP what a pile.

In a sad note, I feel Apple has completely left the building when it comes to Enterprise products. I kinda thought Apple might purchase IBM, but they'll probably just consider them their Enterprise Division from here on out, I know these arrangements were made about 2 years ago or more, but that all folks...

Consumer and Enterprise, Apple and IBM...respectively.

It's really sad how IBM went from amazing and innovative computer company, to just another company selling software to corporations.

But even though it may be a year too late, Apple should have bought IBM... Imagine the possibilities!! Apple has some amazing CPU designers, IBM have (or had) a bleeding edge chip fab. On top of their own amazing CPU designers, nonetheless! And IBM also has lots of experience building all the other things that surround the CPU. Memory chips, exotic RAM technologies, hardisks and storage.

Apple could build the hardware that IBMs business software would run on, and they could deliver one complete end to end solution.

When it comes to software, IBM also has a lot of experience with what may be one of Apples deficiencies: The cloud and online services.

Apple buying IBM could cost them dozens of billions of dollars, but considering the advantages, it could be well worth it!
  • Reply 46 of 47
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I dont think using Macs puts you in a different race.

He's a liberal racist. No matter what the topic, these racists only view the world in terms of race.

Quite.

Liberal racists have tunnel vision. They see everything through the prism of race, as though it is all-consuming. Everything for them becomes a racist problem, even where none exists.