AMD pulls out of alliance with Mot ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Remember the alliance between Motorola and AMD ?

Motorola has poor production units and AMD has great fabs. Motorola gave SOI to AMD in order to be able to produce G4 Apollo (.13µ MPC 7460) side by side with AMD Athlon in AMD fabs.

now, seen this on Yahoo Message Boards (01/31/02): <a href="http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=4686785&tid=mot&sid=4686 785&mid=87853" target="_blank">AMD pulls out alliance.</a>

[quote]

word is that AMD pulled out of the alliance with motorola. the amd engineers had a big meeting yesterday. Also, we are hearing that Hip9 might be in jeopardy because of the pullout and that APRDL might be history within the year as they send all the research overseas.

Has anyone heard anything about a possible shutdown of Mos-11 or Mos-12?

We are hearing numerous layoff rumors. This Friday? Two weeks from now? Anyway, its going to happen. What else is new?

<hr></blockquote>

Note that it just comes from a message board... It is basically a rumor for a rumor site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Bull shit. Why?

the amd engineers had a big meeting yesterday.

Engineers don't make these kind of decisions. Useless Executive VP's and directors do.

&lt;spelling&gt;

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    AMD had a conference call with UMC yesterday. They are going in together on a fab in singapore. Some notes from the call indicate that they will withdraw from the (originally 7 year) motorola alliance. The reason is becuase AMD needs more production capacity.

I've never seen any evidence of manufacturing being part of the AMD-Mot alliance, only process technology, so The fate of the 7460 doesn't hang in the balance.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    <a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20020131/tc/amd_we_need_a_chipmaking_partner_1.html"; target="_blank">AMD Needs a Chipmaking Partner</a>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Motorola is shrinking.

AMD is growing.

Geez, I wish AMD had the rights to Altivec.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Uh, it looks like AMD partnered with Mot for their technology, and with UMC for their manufacturing capacity. Remember, Mot is the only company to have built desktop CPUs with SOI, and their CPU designs are highly regarded, so there's good reason to partner with them for those reasons. On the other hand, they're outsourcing fabrication too, so it's not like they're an obvious choice for production. UMC obviously is.

Am I missing something?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]

Bull shit. Why?

the amd engineers had a big meeting yesterday.

Engineers don't make these kind of decisions. Useless Executive VP's and directors do.

<hr></blockquote>

Outsider this is seriously funny sh!t, and so true.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    If you read the thread you'll see a lot of posts from Motoroal employees. I don't know what the SPS is they're referring to, but I guess we'll know soon enough if they're right about the layoffs they predict within the next week or so.

The one post that was interesting referred to Apple's need for speed, and how that just isn't in Motorola's best interests. I'm curious to see how this all plays out.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    SPS is the Motorola semiconductor division. Motorola has threatened to abandon the entire unit if they don't start showing a profit soon. If this happens I could see Apple acquiring key pieces in order to sustain their PPC development requirements, and they would probably then seek partners to aid in process technology and manufacturing (neither of which Apple is likely interested in).
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I think I speak for most people here when I say;

F'ing hell Apple, just buy the SoB's PowerPC division and become a fab-less chip maker!

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>SPS is the Motorola semiconductor division. Motorola has threatened to abandon the entire unit if they don't start showing a profit soon. If this happens I could see Apple acquiring key pieces in order to sustain their PPC development requirements, and they would probably then seek partners to aid in process technology and manufacturing (neither of which Apple is likely interested in).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I saw that in a bloomberg article.

I reckon that Apple would buy the PPC division and would leave everything else to IBM.

Barto