Apple's Activation Lock drives iPhone thefts down 40% in San Francisco, 25% in New York

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Let's not forget that it could be because Android is winning¡ I-Phones are so passé¡

Touché. Just like the Xbox, the regular sized one that is:

source
  • Reply 22 of 54
    If a politician isn't stealing credit for something they haven't done, they're probably stealing something else.

so true. I am waiting for the next big thing they come up with to same me from myself.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    philboogie wrote: »
    Touché. Just like the Xbox, the regular sized one that is:

source
    OK, that's pretty awesome! :smokey:
  • Reply 24 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stolenpad View Post

To bad it doesn't actually work. My iPad was stolen right out of my car at the metreon garage and it's been pending erasure since November. Pretty sure the thieves just jail broke it, or decided to never take it online, and I'm still shit out of luck.

I park at the 5th & Mission (Metreon) garage often.  I wouldn't leave so much as a gum wrapper visible in my car let alone an iPad for fear it would give a would-be thief a reason to break the window.  

You're sh!t out of luck because it should not have been in there to begin with, or placed in something that would be visible to a thief.  Besides, an iPad without an internet connection is for the most part useless.  The thief probably trashed it somewhere.  It's not like you would get it back anyways.  It's just a deterrent for future thefts.

• Reply 25 of 54
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TD912 View Post

I'd assume used parts would sell for significantly less than an actual working phone. You can't use the mainboard with the CPU and NAND flash as that's locked to the account, so you'd have a used screen, used battery, maybe camera module and home/lock/volume buttons and vibration motor. And I guess the aluminum casing but the serial number is engraved on that.

But then with the thieves being economically motivated why did't that drive thefts UP? Less per unit is solved by more units I would think... Though were the parts market simply TOO cheap (and I have no idea) the risk/reward might not make sense.

Have to say I was expecting a rise in thefts to "make it up in volume". happy to see I was wrong.

• Reply 26 of 54
    sflocal wrote: »

I park at the 5th & Mission (Metreon) garage often.  I wouldn't leave so much as a gum wrapper visible in my car let alone an iPad for fear it would give a would-be thief a reason to break the window.  

You're sh!t out of luck because it should not have been in there to begin with, or placed in something that would be visible to a thief.  Besides, an iPad without an internet connection is for the most part useless.  The thief probably trashed it somewhere.  It's not like you would get it back anyways.  It's just a deterrent for future thefts.

Thanks buddy. I put the iPad in my trunk and it still got jacked.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    jbdragon wrote: »
    You can't jailbreak a iOS device without a password!  It's still locked down.   There's zero way to get around this.  If it was that simple Activation lock would be worthless.  <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Unless you were dumb enough to have no passwords on the device!!!  If it was locked, it's pretty worthless.  Maybe part it out.  You're not going to get much for a used screen and a few other parts.  More then likely it was tossed in the trash if it was locked.  </span>

Right, and I was dumb enough not to have the passcode on. I saw that disabling Find My iPhone required my Apple ID and I was stupid enough to believe that was enough. I used my iPad in my car for maps and I can't be fiddling around with the number pad every two minutes. I made an $800 mistake trusting that when Apple said someone needed my ID to erase or turn off F My IPhone that actually meant something. I turned on the passcode remotely the moment I knew it was missing— why even provide the option if they know it's a sitting duck to the first jailbreak savvy theif who comes along?
  • Reply 28 of 54
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Let's not forget that it could be because Android is winning¡ I-Phones are so passé¡

Yes android is winning the spyware war;

it's making Google rich by passing on info on all you do on your android device.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I guess theft rates will be depressed even further once it becomes more common knowledge that the stolen devices are useless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There’s always a parts market.

Of course, but instead of $100+ for a stolen iPhone, it's a couple bucks for parts!!!  At that point is it really worth the risk to steal someone's iPhone?  Not getting mugged over your iPhone when you're walking down the sidewalk I'm sure would be nice.

• Reply 30 of 54
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Of course, but instead of $100+ for a stolen iPhone, it's a couple bucks for parts!!!  At that point is it really worth the risk to steal someone's iPhone?  Not getting mugged over your iPhone when you're walking down the sidewalk I'm sure would be nice.

I bet you can get more than $100 just for the top display, and if add everything but the main board you're probably netting at least $200.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stolenpad View Post

Right, and I was dumb enough not to have the passcode on. I saw that disabling Find My iPhone required my Apple ID and I was stupid enough to believe that was enough. I used my iPad in my car for maps and I can't be fiddling around with the number pad every two minutes. I made an $800 mistake trusting that when Apple said someone needed my ID to erase or turn off F My IPhone that actually meant something. I turned on the passcode remotely the moment I knew it was missing— why even provide the option if they know it's a sitting duck to the first jailbreak savvy theif who comes along?

Why are you whining and blaming Apple for your problem? These crooks never jail broke your iPad. To jail break also requires that Find My iPhone be turned off (unless there's a new one out I'm not aware of).

As I told you before, the crooks realized your iPad can't be sold for profit so their either threw it away or gave it to someone for parts.

NOBODY has said Activation Lock will prevent ALL thefts, nor are they claiming it will erase or recover ALL stolen devices. But it's clearly had an impact based on the significant reduction in thefts of devices.

• Reply 32 of 54
    I bet you can get more than $100 just for the top display, and if add everything but the main board you're probably netting at least $200.

The entire display/digitzer/Facetime assembly for the iPhone 5S is $75 from iFixit. And to my knowledge... that's a brand new assembly (with a warranty)

Good luck trying to sell it used for $100.

Here's the deal... a thief could steal a Galaxy S5 and sell it for $350.

An iPhone... parted out... is worth much less than that.

But... both phones carry the same criminal charges if the thief gets caught. So which phone would they rather steal?

I guess you could steal iPhones... strip the parts and sell them to some "shady" repair shop.

But the repair shop will want to mark up the parts too... so the thief will actually get less per part.

If you're gonna take the risk of stealing something... it doesn't make sense to target the thing that gets you paid less. Apple really threw a wrench into thieves' plans with Activation Lock.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    The entire display/digitzer/Facetime assembly for the iPhone 5S is $75 from iFixit. And to my knowledge... that's a brand new assembly (with a warranty)

Good luck trying to sell it used for $100.

And it's $240 for the iPhone 6 and $450 or the iPhone 6 Plus. And that's just one component, and there are plenty or other options to sell off parts at inflated prices.

Even if someone instead steals an iPhone 5S with an activation lock wouldn't they be able to just pay $99 for a new main board?

Here's the deal... a thief could steal a Galaxy S5 and sell it for $350.

Who is going to pay $350 for a stolen Galaxy S5 when they can buy via Amazon for nearly that price? And why compare the latest Galaxy to the iPhone 5S, not an iPhone 6 Series?
  • Reply 34 of 54
    And it's $240 for the iPhone 6 and $450 or the iPhone 6 Plus. And that's just one component, and there are plenty or other options to sell off parts at inflated prices.

Even if someone instead steals an iPhone 5S with an activation lock wouldn't they be able to just pay $99 for a new main board?

Who is going to pay $350 for a stolen Galaxy S5 when they can buy via Amazon for nearly that price? And why compare the latest Galaxy to the iPhone 5S, not an iPhone 6 Series?

iPhone thefts are down... despite there being more iPhones added to the market every day.

Clearly the stolen iPhones parts market isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Thieves want a quick payout... and iPhone can't guarantee that.

The reason I was quoting prices for older iPhones is that those are the stolen parts that "repair shops" would most likely be looking for. You've gotta have somewhere to sell those stolen parts, right? There are way more iPhone 5S that need repairs vs the iPhone 6 series.

You're right... iPhone 6 Plus screen assembly is quite expensive. If a thief got their hands on one it would be quite a payday.

Then again... if they get caught... they're in possession of an $800 stolen device.

That's something to consider too.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    iPhone thefts are down... despite there being more iPhones added to the market every day.

So all these thefts are from people that don't know better? :rolleyes:
    The reason I was quoting prices for older iPhones is that those are the stolen parts that "repair shops" would most likely be looking for. You've gotta have somewhere to sell those stolen parts, right? There are way more iPhone 5S that need repairs vs the iPhone 6 series.

Why? An iPhone 5 display v iPhone 6 display isn't likely to sway much or at all on labor costs since it's just 2 screws to go to the display. You go further back to the iPhone 4 when you had to remove everything to get to the display and it's even considerably more costly. I'd say the people that have accidentally broken the screen of their new iPhone are more likely to pay to get it repaired, whereas older iPhone will be more likely discarded if damaged.
    You're right... iPhone 6 Plus screen assembly is quite expensive. If a thief got their hands on one it would be quite a payday.

Hence my point about it being lucrative. And $200 for an iPhone 5S in parts on eBay is still lucrative for the effort one would need to put into it.
    Then again... if they get caught... they're in possession of an $800 stolen device.

It sounds like you're applying risk to only the iPhone 6 Plus, which doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 36 of 54

You can only be really mad at yourself for leaving it in your car, or the thief.

I'd say it should be somewhere in the middle

• Reply 37 of 54
    So all these thefts are from people that don't know better? :rolleyes:
    Why? An iPhone 5 display v iPhone 6 display isn't likely to sway much or at all on labor costs since it's just 2 screws to go to the display. You go further back to the iPhone 4 when you had to remove everything to get to the display and it's even considerably more costly. I'd say the people that have accidentally broken the screen of their new iPhone are more likely to pay to get it repaired, whereas older iPhone will be more likely discarded if damaged.
    Hence my point about it being lucrative. And $200 for an iPhone 5S in parts on eBay is still lucrative for the effort one would need to put into it.
    It sounds like you're applying risk to only the iPhone 6 Plus, which doesn't make any sense.

The article says iPhone thefts have fallen since Apple implemented Activation Lock... which renders a stolen iPhone useless.

Then someone says "What about the parts market?"

Sure... maybe the only people left stealing iPhones are just doing it for parts.

But they'll get much less for a parted-out iPhone than they used to get selling a complete iPhone... which obviously makes it less desirable... hence the drop in iPhone thefts.

Is there still value there? Sure! You can sell iPhone parts and get a couple hundred dollars regardless of Activation Lock.

But if that was the case... iPhone thefts should be the same or even higher.

Since they're not... what does that say about stolen iPhone parts?
  • Reply 38 of 54
    But if that was the case... iPhone thefts should be the same or even higher.

Why assume that when most theft isn't a sophisticated heist, but of convenience?

It's clear Activation Lock is having a positive impact for buyers, but you can't simply sway all one way, since there will still be thieves that will know how to capitalize of iPhone theft in a post-activation Lock world. I'd even say it's likely some are making more money with less risk because they can buy from other thieves and then disperse the components through their channels, not unlike stripping down a car, albeit much easier and a lot more money for the both the weight and volume.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Still waiting for password protected power-off. The first thing thieves do is shut it off so tracking is unavailable.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Still waiting for password protected power-off. The first thing thieves do is shut it off so tracking is unavailable.

Me too.

Of course, you need a way to power cycle a device with the touch screen isn't functioning or when iOS isn't available, but they can make their devices restart automatically with a special flag for updates and controlled power downs (when the battery dies), so why can't they make holding the Home and Sleep buttons do a hard restart, instead of a power down.

Thieves will still be able to hide the device in a radio protected bag, but that takes more planning and effort, so the net result will be even fewer thefts once this is known.