Apple releases 2015 Supplier Responsibility Report, targets the end of 'bonded servitude' practices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

By whom, the same people who claimed weapons of mass destruction were located "over there" in large numbers to start a war?......or maybe by the same "hired" doctors that still claim that smoking does not cause cancer? Believe what you want, I guess, but don't be afraid to use critical thinking for fear of having to change your mind. That's how we learn.

FrackNation

• Reply 22 of 38
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Being rational is not the same as cherry picking...

Be rational instead, then.

....however, ignoring facts that don't jive with your opinion could, in some circles, be considered as ignorance...

Again, you don’t see communist countries going around the world and making things better. I notice you have no rebuttal to that.

...kinda like screaming "commie" to distract away from said ignorance. 

Your continued skirting of this–and looking like veiled support–remains disconcerting.

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

But is "a okay" for us to advance their evil empire with millions of manufacturing dollars for USA companies. 

Who said that? I want China to sit and spin. I wish we still didn’t recognize their government.

That's capitalism. As long as we make money, who cares about our vendors' lack of human rights, fair business practices, pollution or freedom.

Except Apple and others show otherwise…

China has the upper hand. There is no where else for Apple to go to manufacture their goods.

Taiwan, home, etc…

• Reply 23 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But is "a okay" for us to advance their evil empire with millions of manufacturing dollars for USA companies. 

Who said that? I want China to sit and spin. I wish we still didn’t recognize their government.

As do most clear thinking Americans, but face it, there are few clear thinking Americans. Everyone is angry. You can see it how they drive, the way they talk and the programs on TV.  They have no regard for anyone except themselves. The whole world is in a state of disfunction.

• Reply 24 of 38

As do most clear thinking Americans, but face it, there are few clear thinking Americans. Everyone is angry. You can see it how they drive, the way they talk and the programs on TV.  They have no regard for anyone except themselves. The whole world is in a state of disfunction.

The Day will come. There will be a day of normalization whereafter these behaviors will no longer be considered acceptable, much less tolerable.

• Reply 25 of 38
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Commies tend not to care about such things.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wHylQRVN2Qs
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Originally Posted by xixo View Post

Ah! Reminds me of the Rifftrax to Indiana Jones 4. You know, when they’re clearcutting the Peruvian jungle. “I hope the Russians love the trees too~…” :p

• Reply 27 of 38
    Apple needs to get to some form of factory automation as soon as possible. Any way you look at it, and I love Apple's products and values otherwise, this is slavery. It is a miserable way to have to live and it is a shameful epoch of human history. I can't change it. But I won't pretend it isn't ugly. And I'm not talking about Apple specifically. I'm talking about cramming people into factories to perform mindless, repetitive tasks for meager wages so that other people can enjoy the fruits of their labors a little cheaper. It's nauseating. Our present economic system forces actual people to become the machines and computers that we don't have yet, but could have had already if there were the political will to do so.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    You'd think China would try to be a better steward for their own people and their environment rather than leave it to an outsider like Apple.

Actually China does, when a violation is brought to their attention, they call up the US companies using the supplier who is violating the law and tell them they need to address the matter with their Chinese supplier. China is not dumb, they do it this way instead of the government coming down on violating company and forcing them to comply. They make the outside company do the dirty work since the Chinese company will argue that is will cost more to comply and they need to pass the cost along. Apple even said it cost them more to make sure these companies are doing the right things. It is a win for China since it does not require heavy handed involvement by the government and the company in violation gets to pass the cost along so they get to make more along with the workers. The only ones loosing are people outside the China since we all pay to make them richer.

The US should have been more worry about protecting worker wages then promoting outsourcing. Image is the US government call up every company in the world and said since you use and buy servers from US company they are abusing worker hours and our environment they need to fix the issue with the US company. The US government allows outside company to abuse our resources.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joogabah View Post

Apple needs to get to some form of factory automation as soon as possible. Any way you look at it, and I love Apple's products and values otherwise, this is slavery. It is a miserable way to have to live and it is a shameful epoch of human history. I can't change it. But I won't pretend it isn't ugly. And I'm not talking about Apple specifically. I'm talking about cramming people into factories to perform mindless, repetitive tasks for meager wages so that other people can enjoy the fruits of their labors a little cheaper. It's nauseating. Our present economic system forces actual people to become the machines and computers that we don't have yet, but could have had already if there were the political will to do so.

Do Chinese workers need food stamps just to survive, like minimum wage American workers?

Strange how people are blind to the mess in their own back yard.

Minimum wage workers are effectively subsidised by the taxpayer, no wonder corporations fight to keep minimum wages low, it transfers their costs to the Government.

The thing these corporations fail to take into account is that workers who are paid more, consume more making a larger pool to take profits from.

Things seem to be slowly changing.

• Reply 30 of 38

I had no idea this was still happening in the world. How the hell did this get past the union reps?

Oh. Wait. What?

• Reply 31 of 38
    hill60 wrote: »
    Do Chinese workers need food stamps just to survive, like minimum wage American workers?

Strange how people are blind to the mess in their own back yard.

Minimum wage workers are effectively subsidised by the taxpayer, no wonder corporations fight to keep minimum wages low, it transfers their costs to the Government.

The thing these corporations fail to take into account is that workers who are paid more, consume more making a larger pool to take profits from.

Things seem to be slowly changing.

If you have an interest in "higher wages" or the so-called "plight" of workers, you should instead argue for both the elimination of the minimum wage and publicly funded programs such as "food stamps" (I think they issue a prepaid card instead of stamps these days). That these subsidies exist are in fact why businesses are able to resist wage increases. Workers unable to live on the wages offered by businesses won't accept extremely low wages. They'll hold out for more or work elsewhere. A minimum wage harms both the employee and employer by arbitrarily establishing a floor, which should instead be a matter of negotiation between both parties.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Anxiously awaiting the Samsung/Lenovo/HTC/Dell/HP/... supplier responsibility report.

• Reply 33 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If you have an interest in "higher wages" or the so-called "plight" of workers, you should instead argue for both the elimination of the minimum wage and publicly funded programs such as "food stamps" (I think they issue a prepaid card instead of stamps these days). That these subsidies exist are in fact why businesses are able to resist wage increases. Workers unable to live on the wages offered by businesses won't accept extremely low wages. They'll hold out for more or work elsewhere. A minimum wage harms both the employee and employer by arbitrarily establishing a floor, which should instead be a matter of negotiation between both parties.

There seems to be a double standard among Americans, they are all ready to jump on their high horse as far as Apple's Chinese workers are concerned, yet ignore the struggling worker who hands them their lunch.

• Reply 34 of 38
    hill60 wrote: »
    ...yet ignore the struggling worker who hands them their lunch.

That is complete nonsense. I always make sure they aren't too dirty looking before I take my lunch. If they are, I get the manager and have that person fired.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

There seems to be a double standard among Americans, they are all ready to jump on their high horse as far as Apple's Chinese workers are concerned, yet ignore the struggling worker who hands them their lunch.

You are assuming minimum wage workers are "struggling" thanks to union propaganda. Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be careers, they are "starter jobs".

• Reply 36 of 38
    You are assuming minimum wage workers are "struggling" thanks to union propaganda. Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be careers, they are "starter jobs".

Sure, but there are plenty that have higher education and many years with non-starter jobs that are now working in these starter jobs. At least, that is what I hear, but I honestly don't know and recently read that society is more balanced today in the US than it was 100 years ago.

Personally, I don't pay anyone that works for me less than $20 per hour. That's my minimum wage. Of course, when I do hire someone to work for me I do expect excellence or I won't have them back. "Don't do your best, do my best." ~ Adam Carolla
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Sure, but there are plenty that have higher education and many years with non-starter jobs that are now working in these starter jobs. At least, that is what I hear, but I honestly don't know and recently read that society is more balanced today in the US than it was 100 years ago.

Personally, I don't pay anyone that works for me less than $20 per hour. That's my minimum wage. Of course, when I do hire someone to work for me I do expect excellence or I won't have them back. "Don't do your best, do my best." ~ Adam Carolla

The few times I've hired professionals to take on work I couldn't finish in time, they were also paid a professional rate. 

• Reply 38 of 38
    At this point, I don't see any good reason to be building products in China anymore

Was that a momentary lapse of reason?