Tim Cook talks Apple Watch, Apple Pay, and IBM partnership at Goldman Sachs conference

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

Just a general observation that I have not only read broadly, but seen myself.  I can't think of too many people here in the office, under the age of 30, that have wrist-watches. 

Older managers and executives, from early generations, you see more wrist-watches.

I think the apple watch is so much more, that it will not suffer from the above trend.

As a device meant to increase Baby Boomer (and older) interaction with their children, I think it'll be a huge hit.

• Reply 102 of 108
    Quote:

Just a general observation that I have not only read broadly, but seen myself.  I can't think of too many people here in the office, under the age of 30, that have wrist-watches. 

Older managers and executives, from early generations, you see more wrist-watches.

I think the apple watch is so much more, that it will not suffer from the above trend.

When you read something broadly then there is usually a source for citation.

My sources say that watch sales are on the increase after a cyclical decline.

http://www.businessoffashion.com/2014/08/will-apples-iwatch-rattle-luxury-watchmakers.html

• Reply 103 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

When you read something broadly then there is usually a source for citation.

My sources say that watch sales are on the increase after a cyclical decline.

http://www.businessoffashion.com/2014/08/will-apples-iwatch-rattle-luxury-watchmakers.html

I understand.  I was thinking of cheap, everyday watches, like my Wenger swiss army watch, that couldn't have been more than $300. 

-> Edit:  Oops.  Looks like $150. <- Edit.

Kind-of-nice-looking if you don't know what nice watches are.  I'm not sure what the category is called ("cheap?").

My overall point remains that the apple-watch isn't a watch or smartwatch at all, but a personal-assistant/communicator; something that nothing in today's market competes with, and as such, comparisons to most other markets (esp watches and smartwatches) is flawed, and won't help predict success or failure.

Thanks for the posts.

• Reply 104 of 108
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Regarding the watch market: I should have said that too. It's just a general observation that the younger crowd is completely set with their smart phones. As far as high end watches being on the upswing, I believe that. Luxury goods for the well-to-do have done well in this economy. A friend of mine does not wear a watch but he likes to buy high end Rolexes now and then.

Here's one thing, however. I don't think the younger generation is going to view the Apple watch as a watch. It's going to be yet one more thing that connects them digitally. I have two sons, both teenagers, who look at me like I'm nuts when I try to explain why I wear a watch. Neither of them will wear one. It's just a completely foreign concept...like trying to imagine a time without youtube. BUT, both boys want the Apple watch, sight unseen.

• Reply 105 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The music player market was huge prior to the iPod. Ever heard of the Walkman?

Whereas the smartwatch market prior to the Apple Watch is minuscule.

Like touchscreen phones before iPhone and tablets before iPad, right? 

• Reply 106 of 108
    aelegg wrote: »
    People are still taking a personal assistant (or whatever we should be calling it), and jamming it into a watch mindset.

It's not a watch.  It's not a Smartwatch.  It will be a personal-assistant/intimate-communicator.

It has nothing to do with your Casio, or someone's "Fit-Bit", or that iPad Nano watchband thing, etc etc.

There's a new product category here.  Any attempt to compare it to today's products or today's needs misses the boat.

This is a Henry Ford moment, "If I asked them what they wanted, they would've said 'Faster Horses' ".

Android and all other smartwatches will piddle along as they have been.  Tiny market based on today's very-limited needs, because watches are on the decline, and smartwatches aren't that great.

This is neither.
    Ok cool. I still don't see the value proposition. It's not going to be the next big thing like other Apple products of the past. It will just be a niche product. Definitely not for the masses like other products.

People just seem to get too worked up about this watch.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Quote:

People are still taking a personal assistant (or whatever we should be calling it), and jamming it into a watch mindset.

It's not a watch.  It's not a Smartwatch.  It will be a personal-assistant/intimate-communicator.

It has nothing to do with your Casio, or someone's "Fit-Bit", or that iPad Nano watchband thing, etc etc.

There's a new product category here.  Any attempt to compare it to today's products or today's needs misses the boat.

This is a Henry Ford moment, "If I asked them what they wanted, they would've said 'Faster Horses' ".

Android and all other smartwatches will piddle along as they have been.  Tiny market based on today's very-limited needs, because watches are on the decline, and smartwatches aren't that great.

This is neither.

Ok cool. I still don't see the value proposition. It's not going to be the next big thing like other Apple products of the past. It will just be a niche product. Definitely not for the masses like other products.

People just seem to get too worked up about this watch.

It’s because it’s hard to imagine Apple not having yet another huge hit on their hands.

This will be a huge hit on your hand...for all the wrong reasons.

• Reply 108 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It’s because it’s hard to imagine Apple not having yet another huge hit on their hands.

This will be a huge hit on your hand...for all the wrong reasons.

1. If the battery lasted for a week (or a month - gasp!)

2. If it ran untethered (without the need for an iPhone)

3. If it ran tethered (to other platforms like Android)

4. If it had many heath sensors and became the IT device for the medical field and people who need medical monitoring

5. If it had a lot of killer apps that would simply not be feasible on a phone (whatever those would be)

6. If it had build-in GPS and could be used for marathons or so on.

7. If it was built to last for 5 years between upgrades (that is, when you buy one, no reason to upgrade for awhile

8. If it was $199 (and didn't have the above features

9. If it had a built in flashlight (okay, that's what I'd like to see - just for fun - not for real, unless doable

And so on.