Carl Icahn says Apple stock should be worth $216 per share today, not in the future

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Smart- he must be projecting for the future AWatch release.

I think now means now as in pre ?Watch release.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

do you own Apple stock?

I do.  I own 1110 shares.  And I'm glad that Icahn speaks up.  Apple is still severly undervalued.

What would you rather have?  Guys saying its worth $50?  I mean seriously.

And its not like he doesn't back it up with FACTS and DATA.

With Google's PE Apple would be at $225+.  And it should be since Apple's earnings growth, EPS growth, and revenue growth is growing FASTER than Google.

Good for you. I only own 300 shares, but it's by far the best investment I've ever made. Insane returns the last year. 

And I completely agree. iCahn can keep running his mouth, if it has a positive effect on stock price. At the end of the day I know Apple will do whats best for Apple, and won't make decisions based on his wishes. I just hope that his positivity is sincere, and he's not planning to turn on the company in the future. Stock is definitely still undervalued. 

• Reply 43 of 77
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    I think now means now as in pre ?Watch release.

Correct- meaning after the release the decline will begin.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Good for you. I only own 300 shares, but it's by far the best investment I've ever made. Insane returns the last year. 

And I completely agree. iCahn can keep running his mouth, if it has a positive effect on stock price. At the end of the day I know Apple will do whats best for Apple, and won't make decisions based on his wishes. I just hope that his positivity is sincere, and he's not planning to turn on the company in the future. Stock is definitely still undervalued. 

Same here. The more people bashed Apple when AAPL was under $110 in Jan, the more shares I bought. I dismissed those dumb predictions and trusted myself based on the damn number of iPhone sale prediction. I never invested in AAPL before but my 300 shares purchased in Jan from $106-$108 were no fking brainer. No fking stocks from big firms gives this kind of return in short term: ~20% within a month. I don't plan to sell it until it hits $140. That means, I'll buy more shares in coming days.

• Reply 45 of 77
    pazuzu wrote: »
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Correct- meaning after the release the decline will begin.

Maybe ups and downs but overall, ever onwardly up. In fact, to infinity and beyond. :smokey:
  • Reply 46 of 77
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Same here. The more people bashed Apple when AAPL was under $110 in Jan, the more shares I bought. I dismissed those dumb predictions and trusted myself based on the damn number of iPhone sale prediction. I never invested in AAPL before but my 300 shares purchased in Jan from $106-$108 were no fking brainer. No fking stocks from big firms gives this kind of return in short term: ~20% within a month. I don't plan to sell it until it hits $140. That means, I'll buy more shares in coming days.

Hold till $240.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    Quote:

The Ichan hate here is irrational.

Everything Ichan says in his letter (which I bet half the people bashing him did not read) is true and backed up by hard numbers.  

It's as if a ton of people here worked for TWA decades ago or something.

I-C-A-H-N

• Reply 48 of 77
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I-C-A-H-N

Don't correct a professional - they know what they are doing.

• Reply 49 of 77
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member

Threadjack:

I read today Tim Cook is headed to Israel for...something or other.

Now...there are certain parts of the US that aren't particularly safe, but Israel is much closer to that brutal ISIS bunch. If I was Evil(tm) and had minions, I'd be thinking about how to get to a guy that is integral to a $700B company that could pay a ransom. Seriously...what kind of security does Tim have? Remember how weird it was when Steve was sick, and "succession plans" were being discussed?

/TJ

• Reply 50 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Threadjack:

Now...there are certain parts of the US that aren't particularly safe, but Israel is much closer to that brutal ISIS bunch. If I was Evil(tm) and had minions, I'd be thinking about how to get to a guy that is integral to a $700B company that could pay a ransom. Seriously...what kind of security does Tim have? Remember how weird it was when Steve was sick, and "succession plans" were being discussed?

/TJ

Apple owns a company there, if I recall correctly.

• Reply 51 of 77
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Threadjack:

/TJ

Are you for real?

• Reply 52 of 77
    hahhah, you gotta love Carl Ichan. He's the only person that can keep pointing at his money, claiming it's actually worth double.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

What happened to value being determined by the market?  No matter how valid his opinions, they surely don't outweigh or are any more valid than the collective opinion of the market.

Ahhhh....but share price is just one factor of a company's value.

Other factors being, total cash, number of shares, assets, investments, brand awareness, patents, etc., etc. Lots of dynamics in play.

Not to mention that share price is generally (over time) a reflection of all of those other factors.

Let me repeat, show me some math/facts...and let's talk.

Don't get me wrong I love opinion and speculation (it's fun) but all the Icahn bashing is getting boring. 

I would agree with your statement that Icahn's opinions, in time, don't outweigh the market. But it has influence, albeit tiny.

• Reply 54 of 77
    Icahn is also the bully who pressured the plan to split up Motorola years ago, which may completely disintegrate that once-highly-innovative company. He wields FAR too much influence, IMHO.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Carl only cares about himself. He has no interest in building businesses, just increasing his cash pile. When he gets control of a company he dismantles business units, like spare parts.

This man speaks truth, just look at the shambles of Motorola these days...  :rolleyes:

• Reply 56 of 77
    Yes, Carl. "And I'd like to being of all Londonium and wear a shiny hat." How about you go long on quality stocks and leave the volatility to the amateurs.
  • Reply 57 of 77

Looks like the dividends just paid out. Just added to my account.

• Reply 58 of 77
    eightzero wrote: »
    Threadjack:

/TJ

I agree. Hearing about Tim's trip there kind of scarred me. What protection will he have? What would happen to AAPL's stock price if he were killed?
  • Reply 59 of 77
    bugsnw wrote: »
    But borrowing money at less than 1% to save 35%+ in taxes seems like a smart move to me.

People keep making this silly assertion. It is NOT 35%. It is the DIFFERENCE between what has been paid abroad and Apple's marginal US tax rate. What has been paid abroad is not 0%; what is owed as marginal tax rate in the US is probably not 35%.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    Quote:

The Ichan hate here is irrational.

It's as if a ton of people here worked for TWA decades ago or something.

I was working in the same industry.  Carl praised TWA and talked about what a great and progressive company they were.  Until he got control.  At that point he systematically disassembled the company, funneling TWA's money into his own pockets.  He took the worlds premier airline (that happened, at the time, to have very low debt and lots of cash) and turned it into a piece of crap. (yes... that was a direct result of his "leadership".)

He has done nothing in the meantime to indicate he has changed his ways.  Unless he has fundamentally changed, he would like nothing more than to take control of Apple and shred the company, walking away with hundreds of billions of dollars in his own pocket.

That doesn't mean what he says isn't true, regarding AAPL, but I question his motives... I dare say his ultimate goal is NOT the long-term viability of the company.