Piper Jaffray sees a revamped Apple TV set-top box being core of Apple's fall 2015 products

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2015
Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who has long clamored for an Apple television set, said on Thursday that he believes a revamped Apple TV set-top box could prove to be a centerpiece for the company's fall 2015 product lineup.

Munster continues to believe that a full-fledged Apple television set is in the works -- a point he made clear once again in his latest note to investors. But in the interim, he sees a more powerful Apple TV set-top box launching this year as a step toward a potential connected HDTV.

For the next-generation Apple TV, Munster predicts that updated hardware and software will integrate content, gaming and HomeKit support.

On the content front, Munster made note of Sling TV, the new Web-based, $20-per-month television service from Dish. To the analyst, Sling TV is a sign that content owners are beginning to "think differently" about offering so-called over-the-top channel subscriptions without a traditional cable plan.

Munster also cited recent reports claiming that Apple has been in talks with content providers to develop its own content service akin to Sling TV.

"We believe that a content service could be paired with an updated Apple TV box in a fall event alongside a new iPhone or iPad," Munster said. "We believe that an updated Apple TV and/or content offering could be one of the core new offerings from Apple in 2015, given our belief that the phone is likely to be an 'S' upgrade cycle, and there appears to be little new on the iPad side other than a potentially larger screen."

The new boss: same as the old boss?

And with HomeKit, Munster sees the Apple TV becoming a hub for users' connected homes. In Particular, he believes the "Hey Siri" handsfree feature in iOS 8 could be extended to the Apple TV, allowing users to conveniently control connected devices in their home with their voice.

As for the Apple television set that Munster has long pined for, his revised timeline now sees such a device coming to market in late 2016 "at the earliest." He believes Apple will wait until it feels comfortable with its integrated feature set before it begins selling a full-fledged HDTV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I hope it doesn't get lighter ... mine already nearly floats on the end of a stiff HDMI cable! LOL
  • Reply 2 of 105
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    "Hey Siri" is great ... but about 3x an hour Siri currently activates on my iPhone due to a similar combination of words broadcast over the TV when my iPhone is near it. So that doesn't seem to be an ideal controller for a TV unless they do a LOT of work on Siri between now and then.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I hope it doesn't get lighter ... mine already nearly floats on the end of a stiff HDMI cable! LOL

Same here...I velcroed mine down...lol

• Reply 4 of 105
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

I can see it becoming an AppleTV "stick" like Chromecast, RokuStick, FireStick etc.

• Reply 5 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I guess he's moved on from TV sets. Now he's pimping augmented reality and says that's the next big thing from Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    I suspect we'll see one this year, and I hope it comes with H.265/HEVC and 4K output along with iTS 4K options starting to appear.

PS: Is it time to drop 720p as an option altogether once H.265 and 4K are available? I say that but I wouldn't expect the 1080p content to be converted to H.265, although it would be trivial to have 1080p options there.
  • Reply 7 of 105

I'll grant Gene that a TV set may have been considered at one point. But I don't see it fitting into Apple's new path forward. They're not making car radios, they're doing CarPlay and leaving the HW to others. They're not making home accessories, they're making HomeKit. Why make a TV set when you could make TVKit?

• Reply 8 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Yeah, mine is the same way. As small as it is though, it is huge compared to the Google or Amazon HDMI sticks.

I think anyone who follows Apple knows a new ?TV is coming soon.

• Reply 9 of 105
    I'll grant Gene that a TV set may have been considered at one point. But I don't see it fitting into Apple's new path forward. They're not making car radios, they're doing CarPlay and leaving the HW to others. They're not making home accessories, they're making HomeKit. Why make a TV set when you could make TVKit?

Why make a watch when you could just make WatchKit?
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why make a watch when you could just make WatchKit?

Because a watch is personal. You don't carry/wear your ?TV.

• Reply 11 of 105

Because a watch is personal. You don't carry/wear your ?TV.

And? An ?TV hockey puck isn't something you carry/wear either. That said I don't think Apple is doing a TV set either mostly because people don't want smart TVs. They want dumb TVs and smart boxes/sticks.
  • Reply 12 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And? An ?TV hockey puck isn't something you carry/wear either. That said I don't think Apple is doing a TV set either mostly because people don't want smart TVs. They want dumb TVs and smart boxes/sticks.

Or maybe people do want smart TV's (and smart watches) but they're not buying the crop of products because they think they're shit.  A good example is the MS Surface Hub.  I see an Apple-branded TV being along those lines - a big-screen computer that can fit right in your living room or in the boardroom.

• Reply 13 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Or maybe people do want smart TV's (and smart watches) but they're not buying the crop of products because they think they're shit.

This. I think most people wouldn't have an issue if

1. They worked

2. They didn't keep your voice data.

3. They had the content.

Apple's got all three capabilities. The TV makers would probably be happy to give in (Sony might have more of an issue since they have their own media service) on letting Apple do the software. TVKit...I like it.

Better copyright it now and demand huge royalties (or a new Mac) from Apple.

• Reply 14 of 105
    "solipsismy -

I suspect we'll see one this year, and I hope it comes with H.265/HEVC and 4K output along with iTS 4K options starting to appear."

1 - 4K is roaring down the TV street. Already replaced HDTV as the preferred giveaway with car dealers, furniture stores, banks, etc..
  • Reply 15 of 105
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    More powerfull Apple-TV set-top box was expected last year when Apple had 64-bit custom processor with better graphics support. Whole idea of Homekit in-line to be center of home hub is not only to connect and control home appliances, lights, security, gadgets, streaming video but also becomes decent gaming platform. It seems time is right for 2015 fall line up for updated Apple-Tv
  • Reply 16 of 105
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I can see it becoming an AppleTV "stick" like Chromecast, RokuStick, FireStick etc.

I like the idea of a stick but I am not sure that's the direction Apple will go. One thing a stick does not do is advertise its presence. Everything Apple is made to be seen and to create an invisible service (device) doesn't seem Applesque, to me. On the other hand - a larger visible box with increased functionality (gaming) will inevitably cost more so I just don't know.

• Reply 17 of 105
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

More powerfull Apple-TV set-top box was expected last year when Apple had 64-bit custom processor with better graphics support. Whole idea of Homekit in-line to be center of home hub is not only to connect and control home appliances, lights, security, gadgets, streaming video but also becomes decent gaming platform. It seems time is right for 2015 fall line up for updated Apple-Tv

Probably a lot of things have to fall into place for it to come together. This isn't trivial for Apple. I see some of the SmartHome devices require a hub, and no one wants more dongles, boxes, basestations and the like. If it can all be pulled together, it can be really attractive for hardware manufacturers to innovate with. But surely, Apple wants content and gaming on it too, and the business proposition for all this is tough. Bet Eddie Cue has been busy. Still...waiting until fall seems awfully long. This kind of thing seems like it was due last year.

And we know AppleTV can already be controlled by Apple Watch.

• Reply 18 of 105
    wood1208 wrote: »

Now add an iTunes Server and USB 3 for my external RAID to that idea.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Blu Ray SUCKS because of low adoption every damn new movie comes with a DVD version which adds an unnecessary $5 extra.

Apple needs to drop SD content and reveal ?Movies. A 4k-5k Standard available on iTunes.
  • Reply 20 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Blu Ray SUCKS because of low adoption every damn new movie comes with a DVD version which adds an unnecessary $5 extra.

Apple needs to drop SD content and reveal ?Movies. A 4k-5k Standard available on iTunes.

Not all of them come with a DVD, just the combo packs.