Apple increases size limit of App Store downloads to 4GB

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
Apple on Thursday announced that the size limit of application packages submitted through iTunes Connect can now be as large as 4 gigabytes, doubling the previous 2-gigabyte restriction.

The update allows developers to use more media in their App Store submissions and provide a more complete and rich user experience upon installation.

The change does not affect downloads over LTE or other cellular data networks, which remain restricted to 100 megabytes to conserve users' mobile data plans.

Also on Thursday, Apple announced TestFlight Groups, a new feature that allows developers to organize testers into groups. With this, groups of testers can be sent specific builds and separate instructions, while developers can also apply an action to several testers at once.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Commonly used file sizes from 1970s through to today: ... KB ... MB .... now GB soon to be TB
  • Reply 2 of 37
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Didn't actually know there was a 2 GB limit.

Oh and in the article: "100 MB" not gigabytes

• Reply 3 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Didn't actually know there was a 2 GB limit.

Oh and in the article: "100 MB" not gigabytes

Same, I didn't know a limit existed. I guess some of these apps were compressed? I have one that was 2.4GB.

• Reply 4 of 37
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

I guess it is good that they changed the base storage of iOS devices to 32GB instead of 16GB....oh wait

-kpluck

• Reply 5 of 37
    kpluck wrote: »
    I guess it is good that they changed the base storage of iOS devices to 32GB instead of 16GB....oh wait

-kpluck

do you have a 16GB iPhone or is this just another cheap shot at Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Yeah. I thought so.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Same, I didn't know a limit existed. I guess some of these apps were compressed? I have one that was 2.4GB.

Almost all app downloads are compressed.

Go ahead and look at any of your apps: Settings > General > Usage > Storage > Manage Storage > (any app)

and look at the total size, then the breakout (App Size + Documents & Data). Then go to the App Store and look at the same app and look at the size. That's the download size, not the final app size.

For example, Evernote is a 56.7MB download, but the app on my iPhone is 101MB. For me, the app is also using 27.2MB in Documents & Data storage, so the total app usage is 128MB.

Some app downloads are more compressed than others.

It's the same for the Mac App Store as the iOS App Store. The Mac app downloads are also compressed. Pages (OS X version) is a 281.1MB download from the Mac App Store, but on my MacBook Air, it takes 353.7MB on the disk.

• Reply 8 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I said 16GB would become 32GB this year and I stand by that statement, especially after seeing this news.

Now if there was only a way for users to clear the documents & data cache.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It needed to be higher for console quality games. GTA IV for example is 6.5GB for the XBox 360. 8GB would probably be a more sensible limit as that's closer to dual-layer DVD size. Not a single XBox 360 title listed here exceeds 8GB:

http://www.stripesonfire.com/xbox-360-game-install-list/

A few of the more modern titles split across multiple discs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_console_games_spanning_multiple_discs#Xbox_360

Wolfenstein the New Order split across 4 discs.

Dishonored (made by http://www.arkane-studios.com ) fits in 4GB:

[VIDEO]

That would run at around the same quality as the 360 version on the latest iOS hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 37

That's nice. Where's my lossless music?

• Reply 11 of 37
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The package is usually compressed a bit, but remember that an app is both the application files and any data. So you could create a small app that then downloads additional assets later, or is used to store the user's data.

• Reply 12 of 37
    Next iPhone model(s) will be only 64 & 128 GB. calling it now.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Marvin wrote: »
    It needed to be higher for console quality games. GTA IV for example is 6.5GB for the XBox 360. 8GB would probably be a more sensible limit as that's closer to dual-layer DVD size. Not a single XBox 360 title listed here exceeds 8GB:

http://www.stripesonfire.com/xbox-360-game-install-list/

A few of the more modern titles split across multiple discs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_console_games_spanning_multiple_discs#Xbox_360

Wolfenstein the New Order split across 4 discs.

Dishonored (made by http://www.arkane-studios.com ) fits in 4GB:

[VIDEO]

That would run at around the same quality as the 360 version on the latest iOS hardware.

Talking of GTA iV, does anyone know if it runs on a new Mac Pro yet? I didn't when they launched for some reason.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    jkichline wrote: »

The package is usually compressed a bit, but remember that an app is both the application files and any data. So you could create a small app that then downloads additional assets later, or is used to store the user's data.

Like Logic Pro X ... 40 + GB of extra data!
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Is this the first time it's ever been moved or did the App Store launch in 2008 with a 2 Gibibyte limit?
  • Reply 16 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Talking of GTA iV, does anyone know if it runs on a new Mac Pro yet? I didn't when they launched for some reason.

GTA IV doesn't have an official Mac port, just unofficial ones:

[VIDEO]

The latest GTA V that will be released on PC in about a month won't have a Mac port either. These should run ok in Bootcamp though. The only Mac native ones are the following 3 games, which are on iOS:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/11761/grand-theft-auto-trilogy-now-available-for-the-mac.html

These games aren't that great anyway. Here some people react to playing it for the first time:

[VIDEO]

They start out being dismissive of it but within about 5 minutes they turn into murderous anarchists. Check out 5:39 where the old woman gets the character to sucker punch a random girl.

"what did you do?"
    "I decked her"
    "why?"
    "I don't know, I wanted to shoot her"
  • Reply 17 of 37
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

At www.HDtracks.com?

No one is forced to buy all their digital content exclusively from the iTunes Store.

Heck, you can buy used CDs at SecondSpin.com and rip them yourself, just like you could have been doing from the very first version of iTunes.

• Reply 18 of 37
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

What do you mean? If you only care about the codec, as indicated by no mention of the source sample rate, you can convert all your files to ALAC in iTunes right now.

mpantone wrote: »

At www.HDtracks.com?

No one is forced to buy all their digital content exclusively from the iTunes Store.

Heck, you can buy used CDs at SecondSpin.com and rip them yourself, just like you could have been doing from the very first version of iTunes.

Are they just encoding it as 96/24 or are actually getting 96/24 (or better) from the source? Have there been any blind tests between HD Tracks and iTunes Store (and others)?
  • Reply 19 of 37

All of them are compressed. Only a fool would not do so.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The latest GTA V that will be released on PC in about a month won't have a Mac port either. These should run ok in Bootcamp though.

V will probably take better hardware than any Mac has, though.